Tartaros: Best loadouts/ suggestions

I love Cataphactii terminators. I have a dozen and a half and I want more of them. And all the characters I own with terminator armor are Cataphactii. But also,  I have a squad of Tartaros terminators, and I want to give more use and space in my lists. I think are quite interesting with SoH and The Long March RoW (M 7" plus 1" extra if they don't Run). I have now six, all with twin lighting claws, to tear infantry units.

I looking for more and different uses and loadouts for this type of unit, but most the information is about Cataphactii or about some specific units that use Tartaros, like Phoenix Guard.

So, can you tell me you ideas, experiences,...with this type of terminators?

They arent as tough as Cataphractii but are faster and can sweep so use them to bully other units that dont have access to squadwide invulnerables. 

Probably, like, Combi-Grenades and Power Mauls and if you want, attach a character with Rad Grenades to the unit to ID T4 or lower with the Mauls. Just an idea.

13 hours ago, Slips said:

They arent as tough as Cataphractii but are faster and can sweep so use them to bully other units that dont have access to squadwide invulnerables. 

Probably, like, Combi-Grenades and Power Mauls and if you want, attach a character with Rad Grenades to the unit to ID T4 or lower with the Mauls. Just an idea.

Humm Rad Grenades...a bit complicated for SoH to attach that type of character in a Tartaros Squad. No?

Moritat.

The wording on bitter duty is really wonky. If a unit has the rule, then they can't be joined by other units without it. But the moritat isn't being joined by a unit of terminators; he's joining it. So until they do an actual FAQ pass, you can attach ICs with bitter duty to units without it.

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Moritat.

The wording on bitter duty is really wonky. If a unit has the rule, then they can't be joined by other units without it. But the moritat isn't being joined by a unit of terminators; he's joining it. So until they do an actual FAQ pass, you can attach ICs with bitter duty to units without it.

Ehmm

Well, I thought it worked in both directions! So, in your opinion, I can attach a Moritat to any unit of my army?

Edited by AGRAMAR

2 hours ago, AGRAMAR said:

Ehmm

Well, I thought it worked in both directions! So, in your opinion, I can attach a Moritat to any unit of my army?

So a Moritat has the rule to let him join those units he'd be locked out of because they have the rule, not to stop him joining other units?

That kinda makes sense, I guess I'll look at it closer when I have one.

Ooh, this is very intriguing!  Gotta find some decent looking power mauls.  The Deathwatch ones are brutal looking, but the DA Terminator maces are also cool.  I think my Space Wolves Tartaroses might like the Deathwatch version better.  Then, to make a wolfy Moritat....

It kind of makes sense I guess. Most Dark Angel characters wouldnt be able to join non-bitter duty units otherwise or have non-destroyer retinues if it didnt work that way.

I field my tartaros with twin lightning claws and possibly a chainfist or two. I only have a single squad though in my Nightlords basically to take advantage of Sevie's rule.

21 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Ooh, this is very intriguing!  Gotta find some decent looking power mauls.  The Deathwatch ones are brutal looking, but the DA Terminator maces are also cool.  I think my Space Wolves Tartaroses might like the Deathwatch version better.  Then, to make a wolfy Moritat....

Pretty much; it gets you Pinning via Combi Frags, AP3 at-initiative that can ID if you have Rad Grenades from somewhere, can still threaten up to AV12 (due to S6 but hey, it is what it is). It also keeps the unit relatively cheap (only points cost increase is the combi weapon and grenade harness so you can charge into terrain) so its not too painful if/when they die. The only real concern is to never let them fight 2+ saves. 

You can still give the sergeant an Ap2 weapon such as a powerfist or thunderhammer so that they dont bounce off during a challenge with a 2+ save character embedded in a squad.

Twin Claws has some merit but you effectively want to have a slightly harder time wounding your target so you can make more use of shred to fish for rends since its only re-roll failed wound rolls. (So a 5+ to wound with shred and rending 6+ is better than wounding on a 3+ with shred and rending 6+ since the former lets you reroll all 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s, where the latter only lets you reroll 1s and 2s)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...