Tyranids Range Refresh - what to expect?

Flaherty

By my count, Necrons got 13 new/redone kits plus a character sprue in the Indomitus box. Deathguard had 18 new kits in their refresh, though a large number were single blister characters. That led me to wonder what we might expect for the nids. Here's my guess:

New (in video):

+ Psyker with attachments

+ Winged HQ - guessing both of these are on the "Launch box HQ sprue"

+ Biovore/Pyrovore - I'm guessing these two get combined into a plastic kit (1)

+ Ground Lictors (2)

+ Carnifex/Screamer-Killer/Thornback/Old One (3)

Old kits, in video:

+ Termagaunts - shown (4)

+ Hormagaunts - could be a dual kits with terms (5)

Likely, based on oldness/ugliness:

+ Genestealers (6)

+ Tyranid Harpy/Hive Crone - no longer available in the store (7)

+ Trygon/Mawloc - no longer available in the store (8)

+ Hiveguard/Tyrant Guard (9)

+ Warriors (10)

+ Lictors (11)

+ Broodlord (12)

+ Ravener brood (13)

TBD

+ $170 dollar centerpiece - e.g., Silent King/Monolith (14)

+ $125 Centerpiece - e.g., C'tan Shard (15)

Not changing:

+ Parasite of Mortex

+ Gargoyles - could use a glowup, but like the Lokhusts will remain crappy because no one cares

+ Tyrannofex/Tervigon

+ Hive Tyrant/Swarmlord - wouldn't be surprised to see a new/improved version, but it's pretty good

+ Exocrine/Haruspex

+ Neurothropes/Venomthropes/Zoanthropes
+ Maleceptor/Toxicrene

+ Tyrannocyte/Sporocyst

I'm not a Tyranids expert so please add your thoughts!

Edited by Flaherty
omission

25 minutes ago, Flaherty said:

Likely, based on oldness/ugliness:

+ Genestealers (6)

+ Tyranid Harpy/Hive Crone - no longer available in the store (7)

+ Trygon/Mawloc - no longer available in the store (8)

+ Hiveguard/Tyrant Guard (9)

+ Warriors (10)

+ Lictors (11)

I'd be shocked if any of these underlined got new kits. All are relatively recent and really don't show that much age. Their status in the store really shouldn't be taken as any indicator, it could very well be for repackaging or something similar. IIRC, none of the Necron plastic  kits from that 5th-6th edition era were replaced. I'm not even sure if the Warriors need a refresh, the current kit seems pretty decent to me from online photos.

Genestealers and Lictors are slam dunks however

1 hour ago, Nephaston said:

Too small for a hive tyrant, more in line with a warrior/prime. My guess it's a shriek prime, and we'll see a 3-man box of shrikes down the line.

I’m not really with you on the “too small” thing - it looked a time and a half or so in height the new upscaled Terminators when it hit that one in the chest, and closer to twice in height when it reared up and ripped it in two.  I don’t know that that’s too small for a Hive Tyrant.  Some of the limbs on the ‘Nids in the video seem thicker than in the models, and the Screamer-Killer definitely seems smaller and not as thick in the torso as the current model or the old 2nd Edition one, so I’m a little hesitant to say something is or isn’t a current ‘Nid just because of size in the video (unless GW is changing things) - the Hormagaunts in the video (or what I’m thinking is them) appear to have thicker forelimbs and their claws a beefier than they currently are.

However, it is likely not a Hive Tyrant because it doesn’t have the double row of back vents, just a single central raised ridge.  So I would agree, that probably is a Shrike given the different structure.

Looked like we got a slight peek at a new Lictor snatching that apothecary up, but mostly the limbs.  You can sort of see its body and head at time stamp 2:12 of the video.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Yeah no chance the Warriors, Hive Crone/Harpy or Hive Guard/Tyrant Guard are getting redone, they're only from 6th Edition. That's still "new" in kit design terms

Mawloc/Trygon is a bit older but still a perfectly good kit, would be surprised if it got redone as I'm pretty sure it's no older than the Necron stuff that also didn't get replaced (Triarch Stalker, Ghost Ark, Command Barge etc)

On 3/25/2023 at 5:03 PM, sitnam said:

I'm not even sure if the Warriors need a refresh, the current kit seems pretty decent to me from online photos.

That's because the Warrior kit was redone during 6th Edition :smile:

1 hour ago, Sky Potato said:

Going by what happened to the Necrons, I'd imagine getting a brand new paint or shade released for a new faction, with that paint then being discontinued half way through the edition.

And being the featured bad guy in the next Hachette Partwork

This is a great call. Curious what it could be given that they're using Leviathan as the fleet. Perhaps it'll be a base coat like Ionarch Skin with a purplish tint to be used with a more translucent purple contrast? Or will they push a purple spray and encourage people to paint light on top? 

I'm holding out hope that this edition's special edition paint is a purple version of Nurgle's Rot to make the plasmy effects.

I'd be surprised if they went about replacing anything aside from the stealers and gaunts and artillery bugs and lictor. I imagine what were gonna see is a whole lot of additions to the range. However I suppose just by age the Carnifex and Warrior kits could end up going although I'd really hate to see the tanky bull carnifexes go since they have become so iconic and I don't see the Screamer killer being as good as a base for the crusher variant. It'll look super wierd with crab claws.

edit- Seems FW no longer sells the crusher variant upgrade kit. r.i.p.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I've got some warrior sprues in my bits box and I totally forgot they were the "new" version, I must have got them with something like the Shield of Baal Deathstorm box? 

It was only when I thought "hang on a moment, since when did warriors come with Boneswords?!" that I realised it was an updated kit... I must have gone through ten boxes of warriors in 3rd/4th edition, I don't know how I didn't realise sooner!

The Tyranid Warrior kit is a favourite of mine, it fits in perfectly with the previous-generation ones whilst still looking great next to modern miniatures. Considering it's essentially a very slight refinement of a kit from the turn of the millennium it's probably safe to keep going for a good while...which says a lot about how strong that old design is!

I hope the new Carnifex is the rumoured "Macrofex" and doesn't replace the old faithful kit. For a 2004 tooling it's still pretty strong; even without converting you can get endless variety out of it, and as a base for conversions it's pretty unparalleled.

New Genestealers would be nice; I like the current ones but between only having one of each biomorph head, the feeder tendrils head in particular looking a bit rough and the moldlines being quite horrible, a refresh would be good. Especially considering those gorgeous Deathwatch: Overkill sculpts, which really deserve to be released properly.

Looking at the trailer, I think the screamer killer is going to be it's own thing rather than herald a new carnifex update (though elsewhere I've seen some calling for it).

Question remains that if it is it's own thing, would GW give us another new bug for it to share a kit with.

Going by current dex as the normal fex kit covers all 3/4carnifexes. Only thing it dosent cover is forgeworld options which have dissapeared... stone crusher and whatever the other was. Is there space for an hq fex? Tbh old one eye could do well on such as whilst the current fex kit is capable the old metal one was better...