Reposing Guilliman

Captain Idaho

Has anyone had any luck in reposing the plastic 40K Guilliman? I particularly want to do it to get a pose and size more representative of Guilliman in my mind.

Let's talk about potential here - the feet are flat so I think it's mostly the right leg that's the main culprit here for an obstacle, particularly the join at the knee. The left leg shouldn't be too much trouble with a bit of modelling putty I think.

The real question is what sort of pose to put him into. Battle ready works, but perhaps something more relaxed or even something menacing? With the legs needs to be careful consideration to the arms too.

I am limited in what I can achieve. Completely carving up a model at the waist can be pretty much beyond my expertise. 

Anyone attempted this sort of project before?

It's very generous to offer free legs (I'm hoping miniatures and not a hated enemy's!) And whilst I'd be happy to take them off your hands, let's wait and see what I do with these legs first.

If I mess up you might get a PM! :laugh:

Anyway, how did you find the repositioning of the right leg in particular? Did it need a lot of hacking and GS or was it just a bit of GS to fill etc?

11 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

It's very generous to offer free legs (I'm hoping miniatures and not a hated enemy's!) And whilst I'd be happy to take them off your hands, let's wait and see what I do with these legs first.

If I mess up you might get a PM! :laugh:

Anyway, how did you find the repositioning of the right leg in particular? Did it need a lot of hacking and GS or was it just a bit of GS to fill etc?

I hacked the crap out of the soft seal area and used GS to make it sturdy. Its not perfect but it can be usable.

I took the soft seal down as far as I could near the crotch without hitting detail.

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley

Just now, Captain Idaho said:

Ah seems like a waste like if you could potentially give it to someone else. Have you a photo of the rear for now?

I have 3 Guillimans its really not an issue LOL.

Taking a picture of his ass... Thats a first for me.

20230329_205931.jpg

I actually think his pose is fine, but I have seen some attempts a long time ago. Have you tried googling this? 

His pose has been tinkered with, I'm sure I saw some old photos going back a while. I wish I would have kept some.

Arkley, that's some great work. I wouldn't even dare attempt it!

I did the google search and found some, but without explanation like Arkley gave about the issues involved etc. But some pics were handy to see how folk went about it.

I too like my Guilliman, but I really wanted to try something new. I went to Warhammer World and there's a diorama with a reposed Guilliman and it looked amazing. Really gave off a heavier, more imposing feel in many ways.

Since I'd have 2 helmets too, which I can interchange potentially (depending if I change things around of course) I thought I even utilise a crest to be added to one to Roman up his look somewhat.

Let's talked possibilities! I've got 3 ideas:

• Combat stance/swinging blade

• Hold aloft weapons in glory.

• Restrained rage/preparedness in a more "getting ready or waiting" kind of thing.

What do people think would be suitably Guilliman and achievable with the model?

12 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Let's talked possibilities! I've got 3 ideas:

• Combat stance/swinging blade

• Hold aloft weapons in glory.

• Restrained rage/preparedness in a more "getting ready or waiting" kind of thing.

What do people think would be suitably Guilliman and achievable with the model?

I have gone with original... But the reason I tried to convert him was my overwhelming hatred of his base. But I finished his base over the weekend and got a result I actually like.

Here is a good pose for him too if it could be pulled off on his 40k model.

raul-garcia-latorre-guilliman1.jpg

I have a close friend who plays word bearers. Every chance I get, I like to put a (dying) one on my base. :)

That is an amazing repose above. It is actually similar to the diorama I saw on sale for a small fortune some time back. 

When I see that, it shows me the sculpt isn't really that dated compared to Forest Murder Hobo. However, I admit I don't have the patience or skill to pull of any respectable repose. But when I see that example... wow. I wish I could get my hands on that.

Yes it is possible. Easiest way is to hack above the thigh armour, then greenstuff the rubber undersuit back as others have shown. I've done it to make it look like gman isn't about to pull the splits. I think you could go further but more greenstuff would be required and potentially it would require greater greenstuff skill to do.

The biggest barrier I think is the link for ammo going into his glove. Any movement of that arm requires you to sculpt it.

Edited by Subtleknife

Doing a lot of research on this.... there are some brilliant attempts, but a few of my faves:

a4d8d7004db5caaaeda2ef6c40e8be6c.jpg

The above is so close to being pulled off perfectly. The ape is rough, perhaps too long, but it's really hard to pull off. The pose itself seems fairly natural. Weight distribution is solid, and the contemplative, ready to strike pose looks fairly natural.

9a6808cad3a65aa548b0f82d6d80825d.jpg

This one above looks like a very natural pose to me. Not a huge variation of the original, but perhaps more natural/relaxed.

335dd01a6db8fbdf36f397810eaa75e7.jpg

Above: Love this base alteration. Nothing extreme, just a nice variant imo.

If it were me, and I had the capability, I've always loved this pose:

507178e351763c9e2d0aab8805bb1517.jpg

It would be nearly impossible, but this image has always been one of my favourite artist's renditions. I'd just lower the sword hand a bit (to prevent breakage). As much as I like this pose, I think it's probably too much alteration.

Still some really good attempts out there. I respect all of them and I certainly couldn't do any of them myself!

• 3 weeks later...

Tell you what, I actually find him more imposing in many ways as he's standing taller and only a tad smaller than the original despite the scenic base:

20230501_180140.thumb.jpg.cc038f7d3b038bd0c011693aede1e2e2.jpg

He stands only slightly smaller despite such a smaller base. I like it.

Edited by Captain Idaho