Build Assistance Requested

Hey there, I've started receiving the Admech in the Imperium Collection, but have NO IDEA which options I should be building.

I intend on selling these once completed, so would like to build the more desired loadouts.

I'm currently building Kataphron Destroyers / Breachers.

I have picked up a full second allocation, so, should I build 3 of each? Should I build all Destroyers, or all Breachers?

For Destroyers: Plasma or Grav?

For Breachers: Torsion or Arc?

I also have two squads of Skitarii to build, what would be their optimal load-out as well?

Thank you in advance :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what the current wisdom is regarding Kataphron battle servitors but since they are fairly good in melee and shooting and more durable I would go with the Breachers. A solid unit of those would require some dedicated attacks to shift them off any objective they sit on and they are less likely to barbecue themselves unlike Plasma Destroyers. As for Skitarii infantry I think Rangers are preferred but I have a soft spot for Vanguard. They are mobile and for only str3 they can put out some quite amusing weight of fire.

It is a tough question especially now that we do not really know which direction will take unit sizes for AdMech. Kataphron were indeed more useful in larger packs. Sorry, units, a SW distortion...

I do rather fit destroyers with grav and flamer as this is a Swiss army knife combo and more reliable than plasma culverin. But plasma looks cooler. Breachers are more sustainable for all arguments given previously by Takatus. In that case I would go torsion and claw as arc stuffs are a little bit too specialized for my taste on such a unit. A shame as arc weapons are better looking...

I would go one of each type of kataphron atm.

For skitarii if you have two, well one ranger and one vaguard. I like ranger with transuranic arquebuses to snipe stuff. I do not move them too much because of their gun being heavy2. Vanguard can be specialized with plasmas for anti MEQs or arcs for anti vehicles. They can do a great pair with breachers too.

If you plan getting a Marshall, add dstatethers on both units. The scanner stuff is IMO less useful, but can be good on rangers somehow.

Edited by Bouargh
Tipos and add ons

I think I'll go with 1x Vanguard and 1x Rangers. Looking at the build options (googled the instructions) 10 man team has a leader, a data-tether, and up to 3 special weapons? Which weapons are preferrable for the Sergeants? And plasma, or Arc, or mix?

I went with 3 Breacher, and 3 Destroyer. I haven't glued in the guns, I'll just paint both and let whoever ends up with them decide.

Edited by Grotsmasha

2 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Looking at the build options (googled the instructions) 10 man team has a leader, a data-tether, and up to 3 special weapons?

If I read correctly the entry from the datasheet it can be up to 4 specials:

- 9 or less, 1 special weapon to be selected from the 3 listed

- for each 10 men, an arc rifle

- for each 10 men, a plasma

- for each 10 men, an arquebus

So it would lead to a max of 2 arquebuses, 1 arc and 1 plasma in a 10 men strong unit; but you only have 3 special weapons per sprue so you will not be able to tool up every squad at max.

Which weapons are preferrable for the Sergeants? And plasma, or Arc, or mix?

Depend on the role wanted. For rangers I like the tasergod and the phosphor blaster as it gives some punch in case someone goes too close of the Rangers. Useful for Objective defense, less in case of a static gunline where you an take the risk to go without extra tools on the sergeant.

For the Vanguards, if I plan to go Arc rifles in the unit I stick to the anti vehicle thematic with arc pistol and arc maul. If I plan to go anti MEQs, the power sword and the phosphor pistol. If I go mundane and multi purpose, tasergod and radium pistol. 

As a side note, I put an omnispex (the scanner stuff) only in 20 strong units, otherwise I do rather the data-tether in almost every case. Except if I know in-advance that the game will be on a jungle themed table or something like this that will favor light covers. So as you see it is contextual...

Edited by Bouargh
just to underline that this may eventualy be toned down/revised by others as I play AdMech for 6 months only . But the MathHammer looks like it confirms the Return of Experience I have for 12 games or so at 1000-1500 pts

My personal choice is that Martian soil colours are a bit overdone on Adeptus Mechanicus bases and that some variation would be a nice idea. A lot of people pick non-Martian Forge Worlds or develop their own and just use red texture paint. I love the weather-beaten bone colour on the armour by the way.

3 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

Martian soil colours are a bit overdone on Adeptus Mechanicus bases and that some variation would be a nice idea

That's what I was thinking. Almost EVERY AdMech army is on Red Dirt bases.

I did mine in Tan Earth (Vallejo) on simple sand and rocks glued to the base + some highlighting with a Kislev flesh dry brush.  Scorched tufts or battle debris and bits from time to time. 

VAL70874_1-1597911526.jpg

For more texture Brown earth can make the deal too:

Acrílico Textura Tierra Marrón Diorama Effects Vallejo 200ml

I do not really like the red sands of Mars as I feel like they do not offer the proper contrast with the usual red of the AdMechs that is so widespread. But in your case, with this bone and black scheme, it might be fine. So I would not discard it too fast.

If you plan selling them, it might even help as it makes a kind of visual link/filliation with the comonly shared range of colours. But I do not really understand the psychology of the buyer in general so take it for what´s worth... 

Edited by Bouargh
wording

On 4/10/2023 at 8:45 AM, mertbl said:

if your intent is to sell, why build them? they are worth more new on sprue than built.

Because, as a commission painter, I tend to make more than my money back with painted models.

They will also be sold as an army, not piecemeal as units.

Because, as a commission painter, I tend to make more than my money back with painted models.

They will also be sold as an army, not piecemeal as units.

In addition to that I bet the cost of miniatures and supplies is even more expensive in Australia in your home territory than the rest of the world so it is an even more expensive hobby, so why not get it commission painted?

I've not tried selling my models but I'd be interested to know where the threshold is between "I'll have to strip these down" and "wow, I'm actually going to pay extra for this" and if I can actually reach it. :smile:

I should also add, I REALLY want to paint some Admech models, I just have NO intention of playing them.

2 minutes ago, Magos Takatus said:

I've not tried selling my models but I'd be interested to know where the threshold is between "I'll have to strip these down" and "wow, I'm actually going to pay extra for this" and if I can actually reach it.

In my experience, a coherent Army, painted to a tidy, consistent table-top standard will fetch above cost price. 

Individual units are less likely to get much more than cost (usually a little less), even if painted to a good standard, as they will require at least a little work to match an existing models.

Independent Characters and vehicles can be a bit of a wild card, and I suspect it could be highs and lows depending on table top efficiency/ local meta.

I do the red earth for the base and love it because it really contrasts  with my dark scheme.

Kataphron are core now, so much, much better.

I like kataphron breachers with arc rifles and the claw (not arc claw, hydraulic I believe). The gun is a good all around option that happens to put in extra work against vehicles.

Breachers will do really well against vehicles and can hit hard in melee. Their large base provides a sizeable footprint on the battlefield allowing them to zone out large portions of the table. 

I’d get two 10-man units of vanguard. Their special stratagem allows them to auto wound on 4+. You can also put them together to form one large blob of vanguard for deep striking (if Lucius) or reserves. I wouldn’t worry about special weapons, and I’d never do the arquebus on vanguard.

Your second bet would be one 10-man unit of vanguard for advancing and using their strat, and two 5-man units of rangers for board control in the backfield and doing actions.

Edited by brother_b

• 3 weeks later...