How many legionnaires in your collection?

Go to solution Solved by Kythnos,

I’m about to start building Iron Warriors and probably a small black legion force with what’s left over.  How many actual chaos space marines does a normal CSM player need in their collection?  Coming from Imperial Guard, I got way carried away with Necron Warriors in my Necrons army and I am trying to avoid that time sink this time.

70. 40 built from boxes, 10 from the start collecting box, and 20 still on the sprue. I don't see myself using more than 4 squads, so the last two boxes will probably turn into alternative weapon options for the existing squads. 

15 havoks, (for HW swaps), x6 each of the special weapons, x30 CSM (champs incl). That about covers all the CSM loadouts. Right now? you only need at most x10, then spam any mortal units to be competitive. I consider our current codex a lost and the damned codex more than a CSM one. 

I have 30 Legionary Marines, but only 10 are built, based, and painted.  10 more are built, and the last squad is still on sprue.  Although I did have a fourth full squad that had been converted to Berzerkers, but I pulled them apart to use the old Zerker bits on my Chosen instead. . . so I guess that's actually 40 total I could put on the field with about a month's notice.

Legionaries* (in English codex, anyway)

I believe I’ve got 40 of them, in various stages of build/paint for my Word Bearers. Waiting until 10th edition before really getting to work on them. Pistol and sword were superior in 9th, but reroll hits legion trait is likely going bye-bye, so perhaps bolters will have their place. We’ll see.

Edited by Khornestar

I've got 30 for my Dusk Raiders and around 20 for my Word Bearers. Trying to resist the temptation of picking up the HH box with my tax return money and getting another 40 for a new legion...:whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for so after the fact but another question.  I have 30 of the new CSM for 40k and a box of 20 mk 3 HH and 20 mk 4 HH marines.  I was thinking all HH for Iron Warriors and all the 40k guys for Black Legion.  Should I do that or mix them up?  Obviously, I can do whatever I like but I was just curious what most people do who mix in the old school armor.

My IW MK III are Chosen. Used FW pads and the MK III Iron Hands heads. 

5th Squad is MK IV. MK VI is Legionaire squad 6. Since CSM don't do numbering, it's an option for differentiation, combined with bolters vs chainswords.

I used SM jump packs and MK VI for Raptors. I also used PGtM Chordero packs, l. Claws, and FW heads and pads to make Warp Talons.

Edit: If we're disclosing, I also took 10 MK VI, Sons of Horus heads and pads, NL heads and pads, Horus Heresy rotor cannons, and gave my NL and BL chaincannon havocs.

Edited by BrainFireBob

I sold my last Black Legion and Iron Warriors armies. So my answer is what I’ve bought and played since the new codex came out…. I have about 30 for the IW and 10 for the BL currently.  But if the ability we have in 10th is as basic as it seems, I’ll be adding another 10 with chainswords since that’s where I feel the rule will have the most weight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chainswords over boltguns still seems to be the way, especially with the reroll wounds on objectives bit. 

Champ with heavy melee weapon, mook with heavy melee weapon, meltagun, and 2 chainswords seems like it’ll be my preferred loadout. Wargear price being a factor, of course.

Will work on them more as we get closer to their codex release. Focusing on corpse worshiping loyalists first.

16 minutes ago, Gederas said:

Currently my Night Lords are at 30. HOWEVER, due to Wargear legality changes I'll either need to take them apart or double the number :cuss:

Couldn't you just grab one squad and pad any that aren't legal in a unit? I.e., if you have an extra special weapon, sub in a bolter.

Unless they're egregiously out of spec.

I have at least 30 RT era CSMs, at least 80 of the old plastic CSM, and about 40 of the new plastic CSMs.

There is no limit to the amount of CSM required to keep up with changes to editions. The number will only keep growing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've painted over a hundred Chaos Renegades but in 9th Edition I think the most I fielded was 25 Plague Marines, two squads of ten and one of five. I think 30-40 is probably enough for most average sized games. I hope to get 100 plus models on the gaming table again someday, but I just don't know when.