Confusion on Squads

INKS

I am not quite understanding how their killteams / squads work. I am guessing you just split them into two separate groups. but for example

Proteus Kill Team [13 PL, 299pts]: Jump Packs
. Deathwatch Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon: Infernus Heavy Bolter
. Deathwatch Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon: Deathwatch Frag Cannon
. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
. Vanguard Veteran: Power Sword, Storm shield
. Watch Sergeant: Heavy thunder hammer

The Vanguard Vets have jump packs (I assume) -- Do the DW Veterans with the heavy weapons also have jump packs? If they don't then how does movement work? Do you split off 4 Vets with the heavy weapons? Or is it that the watch sergeant is with the heavy weapons and doesn't have a jump pack. Only the Vanguard Vets have the jump pack.

I've also seen kill team cassius box and there is 1 bike and 2 jump packs. How does that work?

To my knowledge only the vanguard vets can be equipped with jump packs. I could be incorrect but I think that the kill teams combat squad as normal which is why you see people take 50/50 kill teams of bikes and normal marines. Not sure about the specifics of kill team cassius though.

Hope this helps!

On 4/3/2023 at 11:36 PM, INKS said:

The Vanguard Vets have jump packs (I assume)

Yep, exactly.

the DW Veterans with the heavy weapons also have jump packs?

They do not. Only the Vanguard Veterans in that unit are eligible for that upgrade.

If they don't then how does movement work?

The unit has mixed movement stats, meaning some models can move further than others, provided you don't combat squad them. Due to the necessity to keep everything in coherence, you do end up somewhat limited, but it does bring some strategies to bear in the movement phase that can produce sometimes both janky and clever outcomes.

Do you split off 4 Vets with the heavy weapons?

You certainly can, at deployment or using the combat squad stratagem. This results in two smaller units with more focused purposes. That heavy weapon squad with the Sarge could stay in your back line on a home objective contributing their firepower from there while the vanguard vets do what they do best somewhere else. Keep in mind that because this whole unit started as a troops unit, both parts maintain objective secured even when split. This is a way to have a vanguard veteran squad that has the objective secured rule, something they normally would have to acquire from another, often temporary, source.

I've also seen kill team cassius box and there is 1 bike and 2 jump packs. How does that work?

Essentially the same as above, except you wouldn't field it with combat squads in mind. You'll have a unit with mixed movement characteristics, so you'll need to maintain unit coherence with a squad that has disparate movement capabilities. What it can allow is for certain movement tricks since that vanguard veteran and the bike can swing around to the other flank of this unit even while the rest of the models move ahead, or make for some crazy charge scenarios. It's subtle, but can be powerful. In previous editions, the inclusion of these units brought permanent bonuses. In 9th edition, these bonuses appear in the form of a stratagem. For example, a unit with a bike can use a stratagem that allows them to fall back and charge in the same turn.

Edited by Lemondish