Just starting BT

I’ve got 4 different 40k Space Marine collections going and just had to add a 5th =p

In all honesty, the Black Templars line was just too cool to no start up a collection. I’m thinking of starting very small and slow. Initially picking up the combat patrol box, working my way over to a few characters, and of course a Land Raider crusader cause Templars! :cool:

Anybody else have any tips on growing a BTs army? With 10th approaching steadily on the horizon I’m not too concerned with picking competitive options right now. Mostly going to be focused on rule of cool for models in my collection.

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade, brother.

I echo the sentiment with the sword brethren. Great kit and will provide you with a lot spare bits to spice up future marine kits. Our named special characters also got a fantastic glow up. Also if you have the option, i'd consider trading or buying the bits for another 4 neophytes, so you can use the models in combat patrol to make one big crusader squad. 

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

You've made a great choice! Black Templars have everything I personally love about Space Marines such as epic characters, over the top but not gaudy gothic detailing and great close quarters abilities.

My advice is simple: if the rules give you the option to nail a multi melta to it, do it. Impulsors with multi meltas are quite useful. Gladiator Valiants with extra multi meltas are ridiculously lethal and fun (until they blow up...).

Black Templar characters are also great fun to use. I rarely leave home without Helbrecht or Grimaldus.

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your Crusade progress.

I like lots of the marines from the various set boxes over the last couple of editions - they are pretty in theme for templars (Bit worried the new 10th edition kits are going to be more Phobos themed). E.g. All the marine units from the Indomitus Set or the smaller command/elite/recruit editions (Assault Marines, the Primaris bladeguard style captain, Outriders, Bladeguard themselves, Chaplain, eradicators, Judicar, Bladeguard Ancient etc...)

Its hard to get the sets outright in my area now, but the models do pop up on the buy/swap/sell sites. So if you are slow grow can often pick them up every now and then. Also with 10th coming and these sets phasing out - they might be harder to get in future. 

I do agree with others though - that starting with some BT specific kits is the best option (Sword Brethren/Crusaders Squads). They are really cool, but will also help you build a good collection of spare BT bits that you can use to add flavour to the generic marine kits down the track. 

All, I appreciate the welcome!

So far this is what I’ve got (a model too cool to pass up that may have been the main reason I wanted a BT collection, lol):

IMG_5895.jpeg

Sword Brethren are certainly a close number 2 behind as well.

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire