A Doom WEasel's Log

Dr. Clock

Khorne was my third army. More properly, it's what became of my third army, which started life as a homebrew chapter back when things like True Grit were a thing. I decided on a 10th Co. theme and a halfway Space Wolves halfway Novamarines paint scheme. There was supposed to be a labyrinthine heraldry scheme that I never really planned properly. And plastic scouts finally came out and of course I bitzboxed Brettonian heads onto them, as was the style at the time... And I amassed an honestly pretty shambolic collection of bargain ebay purchases of dubious retained value. It was my budget 'all infantry/infiltrating marines' as a balance to my mechanized Salamanders (second army).

Then, the first Codex Daemons happened. And people had started painting Heresy Era white Zerkers online... on this very forum. Chaos suddenly made sense, and the pure savagery of the Lord of Skulls claimed approximately a third of my soul. The Doom Weasels fell from grace that day, becoming at a stroke a mere canvas for renewed slashing of hobby knife and flicking of grim ichorous hues.

There are those who maintain that the Doom Weasels are a dim reflection of a cursed army of Dark Compliance, left in the wake of the Red Angel. Such stories proclaim that this motley force was dubbed 'Doom Weasels' by the Red Angel himself when they were forced into battle in the midst of repainting their armour white. On that day, the Weasels suffered 95% casualties on account mostly of allied Dark Mechanicum barrages who mistook them for Loyalists due to the inconsistency of their colours. This happenstance was greatly pleasing to the Primarch, and he decreed that the survivors should retain their unfinished aspect, and serve as a rear echelon 'remnants' Company to collect the dregs of line units too shattered to bother reforming.

Other stories tell of a Chapter founded in the far Galactic East, whose geneseed carried a terrible curse: their scouts matured at a far slower pace than their brother Chapters. As a result, the Doom Weasels were all masters of stealth and special operations by the time they achieved maturity and donned their Black Carapaces. Further, their 10th Co. by necessity always dwarfed that of other Astartes, accounting at any time for easily half of their number, which was never recorded beyond 512.

It is claimed that when a recon task force of Doom Weasels was beleaguered on a feudal world of sorcerors, they found common cause with roaming Beastmen. Discovering that the Beastmen's rough weapons defied the unclean magics of the Changecults, the Weasels sought to craft new weapons using similar means. This led them to discover and, unfortunately for the Imperium, reinvigorate a dormant Soulforge, whose machinations brought about their complete corruption in service of the Throne of Skulls. 

Anyhow: first 8Bound list is happening tomorrow: I'll post a report soon.

Just a bunch of zany lads:

large.2E725789-FAE2-4D99-9263-76CDE8AE12

Disco Lord reduced to mere Maulerfied: I haz a sad

large.B996708D-E31F-4059-B432-1E69984B56

An embiggened bloodthrone: also reduced to a mere maulerfiend

large.007E64C7-F688-441E-92A1-A6BDE08BBD

Obligatory 8bound fun times (basing will happen in a couple weeks):

large.29B4ADD4-2D9D-47F0-BD46-6C9154FF09

KILLMAIMBURN

large.190FB9B7-346A-46BD-A475-CD085E3B83

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Jeesh: Morvenn Vahl is spicy.

Got a little cute and couldn't help but Jenkins Invocatus into the Repentia. He missed 3 attacks axe , and Repentia twice rolled double FNP saves. Invo dead, but he brought the Zerks across the board.

Then it's Morvenn running up to Zerks and getting Surged into, but remaining Repentia killing last three Zerks on middle objective. Not before those three are able to rip Morvenn for 6 wounds tho. She does not fail another armour save until turn 4.

2x3 8Bound show up, one to drop 6 flamer retributors (who overwatch off 10 jakhals before dying). Maulerfiend and spawn try to dent Paragons and Morvenn to little effect. Deep dropping 8Bound misses 8" re-rolled charge on opponent home objective Initiates. Left flank Daemon Prince / Helbrute tag team have seen off 6 sisters who got too close. Right flank holding one Objective and Maulerfiend and Zerks destroy Immolator.

Enemy reclaims centre easily in turn 2, brushing off 3 8Bound, Maulerfiend and pair of spawn, and Seraphim drop on my home objective. They don't claim it, choosing to roast the jakhals instead. So I'm definitely down on units going into 3, but Daemon Prince and Helbrute are about to charge Morvenn! Who proceeds to tank all armour saves with the help of Fate dice. Right flank Zerks are getting closer, and chew up some sisters, while a single 8bound makes it in the back after other two die to bolter Retributors. Maulerfiend makes a charge and kills Inquistor w/ Crusader posse.

But it doesn't matter. Turn 3 shooting kills most of remaining Zerks, and once Prince and Brute go down to Morvenn the enemy maxes primary at bottom of game to win.

First time against Morvenn and triple Retributors. Pretty gnarly. Could have swung in my favor at a couple points, and I think I should have probably either pushed rhino centre instead of flanking, or gone for pincer instead of centre push.

Main learnings: spend the points on lascannons for 1 Brute so he can babysit rear jakhals while still contributing. If enemy castles, avoid temptation to run directly at it, I guess? Do more conservative pre-game move on one flank and send Maulers/Rhino up the other one?

List:

Invocatus

Daemon Prince (wings)

3x10 jakhals

3x8 Zerks

2x3 8bound

3x1 Spawn

2x Helbrute

2x Maulerfiend

1x Rhino

I do feel like the options open up with a second Rhino... Maybe some day, but another 3 8Bound are next (after I finish last 11 Votann ; ) )

Centre turn 1 (after Invo bites it):

large.3DBEDCC4-F3EF-4A23-AEFE-6F85ED755F

Centre turn 2:

large.6B7E3861-1C16-4778-B56B-56C121EC6D

Right flank turn 2:

large.EE5A0B61-A9B1-4102-82CF-BF2AC40AA6

Centre turn 3:

large.EE94C64E-DE60-4BAC-909D-3E15CEFC14

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 3 months later...

Welp - finally got last 2 possessed ready for the tableand rebased some of their... aging brethren:

large.Weasels_Daemonkin.jpg.cacd4c31a72c

Probably taking these lads out for a spin in a week. Forgefiends, Accursed cultists/Communes + Prince makes me wanna play CSM more than actual WE Index tho. Also pretty much fancy Chosen over Zerks at this point, tho I hate to say it. Tough call. KILL MAIM BURN at any rate though amirite?

Basically:

Dark Commune (55 Points) 

Heretic Astartes Daemon Prince (180 Points)

Accursed Cultists (190 Points) 

Chosen (115 Points)

Chosen (115 Points) 

Forgefiend (165 Points)

Forgefiend (165 Points)

Maulerfiend (155 Points) 

Maulerfiend (155 Points) 

Possessed (145 Points)

Possessed (145 Points) 

Bloodletters (160 Points) 

Flesh Hounds (70 Points) 

Flesh Hounds (70 Points) 

Skull Cannon (115 Points)

Or do I drop Daemons and double up on Accursed bricks and Forgefiends?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Thanks Mumeishi!

The blue is... Vallejo Model Colour 'Blue' and touch of highlighting in their 'Medium Blue' over Grey Seer, plus selective wash Drakenhof Nightshade. The white is also basically a blue: Game Colour "Titanium" that looks to have been discontinued maybe? Again over Grey Seer and weathered a bit with Nuln Oil and sometimes Ulthuan Grey or Pallid Wych Flesh. I find Titanium does a better white than, you know... most 'white'. As always the blue is easy, the white is hard.

The white especially does really need a bit more of a 'misting' with gore, but they're table ready so I'm moving on for a while to get my Guard and Drukhari rolling a bit more in 10th style.

Missing out on game this weekend unfortunately, but will report back when these unsane OctoWeasels get their first taste.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

KILL MAIM BURN! Doom Weasels' thirst for bloody victory is slaked!

I was packing up the army and there were just too many marines to allow me to take less than... many. Turned out quite favorably, though opponent had some terrible luck on a few rolls, notably flubbing attacks from Screamer-Killers into some Possessed and then into my Daemon Prince. In another fantastic moment his Hive Tyrant got my Maulerfiend down to 1 wound but then I activated it first the next turn and snuck 2 wounds through to crush it with double 6s on damage (14 damage). Don't sleep on Khorne Maulerfiends.

Into Tyranids this was very much just a dice off, and I won more trades than I lost. Possessed, Chosen and Raptors are all incredible value, and I just hit his hammers harder than he could hit mine.

Did take CSM list because I needed Raptors and a Dark Commune in my life.

List:

Daemon Prince

Dark Commune

20 cultists

10 Cultists

5 Legionaries

2x5 Chosen

2x5 Possessed

2x1 Helbrute

2x1 Maulerfiend

2x5 Raptors

1 Forgefiend

All told, I like this list alot. Khorne Dark Pacts are pretty solid, especially in that they make chip damage on big stuff a realistic certainty rather than almost an impossibility. Next list I'm probably going to drop Legionaries and Daemon Prince for a Leviathan Dreadnought and Master of Possessions. Or... I guess I should probably actually try the WE Index next? It just always feels like I'm just like one unit shy of where I should be when I build with that Index tho.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Okay... List time:

C&C appreciated - least flex in Eightbound and no Angron or terminators to speak of.

Invocatus

Daemon Prince

2x10 Jakhals

3x5 Berzerkers

2 Maulerfiends

1 Helbrute

1 Forgefiend

3x3 Eightbound

Questions of interest:

Is combining 2 Zerks into 1x10 to Scout more a good idea? Seems like Scouting Invo + combined 6 8Bound + 10 Zerks + 5 Zerks is possibly too telegraphed / hard to hide?

Is it possible/desirable not to telegraph this army?

Feels like Invo + 3 8bound + 2x5 Zerks as one flank Scout opportunity is enough, backed by remaining 2x3 8Bound + 1x5 Zerks from Reserves?

Daemon Prince: better or worse than just 10 more jakhals + Forgefiend? A T10 2+ jerkface walking on to centre seems obligatory, but equally 20 jakhals seems low.

Do I care about spending 300 points on 2 shooty gits? Seems like I'd need at least one more cannon-type thing to actually make a jousting kill even close to likely. Could drop something for an RT-era las Rapier I have used for just such strategies on occasion... a nifty little 95pt tank sniper IMO... (Heavy 3 BS3+ S14 -4AP D6+1 Dmg; Gets Lethal if Stationary). Dropping Prince for 2 Rapiers (one las + one quad-launcher) could be an interesting 500 pt firebase play?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 12:56 AM, Mumeishi said:

Have you tested the List out since you last wrote this?

I have not ... Last 2 games I ran Eldar and Deathwatch + Inquisitor + Knight. Probably take GSC for a spin this week, but may come back to WE next week.

My theoretical list has changed, though... I think I'll be leaving the Daemon Prince off entirely in favor of MOAR Zerks and Engines. This is based on the observation that I don't think any less than 4x5 marines is enough in this day and age. Also feeling like if you're doing any firebase, min. 3 units are needed to actually remove enemy units. The 30 points for Invocatus tech is the difference between a las rapier and a Forgefiend as third pick basically... and hopefully they have a bit of mercy on us and reduce some points just a little on Thursday?

1980 pts =

Invocatus

2x10 Jakhals

4x5 Zerks

3x3 Eightbound

Forgefiend

Helbrute

Rapier (laser)

2x Maulerfiend

1980 pts.

If points drop at all on Thursday then Rapier swapped to 2nd Forgefiend is #1 for sure.

EDIT:

With new points even with the second Forgefiend I was down to 1890... So list is now:

Invocatus

2x10 Jakhals

4x5 Zerks

3x3 Exalted Eightbound

2 Forgefiends

Helbrute

2 Maulerfiends

Rhino

Rhino w/10 Zerks up one flank, Invo and Zerks up another Jakhals and Maulers up centre, Helbrute chillin with Forgefiends back home, and then 3x Exalted to drop in to fill/exploit gaps. Feels ALOT better.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Edited by Dr. Clock

• 4 weeks later...

KILL MAIM BURN!

I tried, but I couldn't play without my Leviathan:

large.Weasels_Levi2k.jpg.c125937620e1071

LIST:

Daemon Prince (Embiggened Juggerlord)

2x10 Jakhals

4x5 Zerks

2x3 8bound

2x Helbrute

2xMaulerfied (never mind the chariot in back... an earlier version had 3 Maulers and no Levi)

Defiler

Leviathan (swapped to melta after pic taken)

Game vs Nids - Deployment:

large.WeaselsVNids_290923.jpg.dd9547004f

Purge primary and 3 secondaries a turn! (again, ignore chariot there... was removed just after this when I realized I'd deployed one too many lol)

Enemy Deployment:

large.WeaselsVsNids_DZ_290923.jpg.5df04c

List:

Old One Eye + 2 Carnies

20 termies +2x10 termies

10 hormies

3 melee warriors

Screamer

Psychophage

Barbgaunts

2x3 Von Ryan's

2x5 Stealers

Trygon

Turn 1: Advance and Charge - 6++ FnP

Left Flank (not pictured in deployment pic above) - goes how you'd expect

large.WeaselsVNids_T1Left_290923.jpg.2f0

Right flank - mauler steamrolls other Von Ryan's, I fail saves to lose all but the 8bound Champ.

large.WEVsNids_T1Right_290923.jpg.0ded8f

Turn 1 nobody can make it on to centre, so Turn 2 Centre goes like this:

large.WEVsNids_T2Cntr_290923.jpg.67b2a1e

Leviathan eats Old One Eye and crusher Carnie's attacks to drop to the 4 you see there. Mauler and 8bound kill both the carnifexes, and Berzerkers don't get to swing. Leviathan gets Old One Eye to 4 as well tho. Screamer comes in and smacks the Zerks around, but with FoD up now, they get it down to 3, and Prince shows up and merks it. In the back you can see jakhals mixing it up with gaunts.

My secondaries are Bring It Down (7points), Investigate (Defiler and Helbrute + 5 ReZervks scrore 6), and... Cleanse, which I pull off precisely because a Mauler and 8bound champ for OC:4 vs Old One Eye alone at 3. I grab 8 Primary for Purge, and thus pull ahead about 20 points.

Turn 2 Right:

large.WEVsNids_T2Right_290923.jpg.a518aa

Mauler smashes the 'Tyrant' down, but is then drowned in Lethal shots before sputtering out from a Psycho charge. (Post-game chat has this Carnifex becoming Old One eye and double screamer + cheapo synapse over the walking Tyrant going forward)

We called it in turn 3, just after Prince kills Old One Eye and takes 9 wounds out of 10 from 'Nids own Fight on Death. Dealt 12 wounds, but 6+ FnP kept me alive on 1W. GG:

large.WEVsNis_T3Coup_290923.jpg.d68967ef

Note - 5 Zerks arrive on right of those gaunts a second after this is taken lol.

I love this list. I do love it more than the CSM version, so I'm staying with this Index, but using Legends for shooting when I want.

What's next, you think? Rapiers or Daemons allies?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 2 months later...

Being somewhat behind the curve in terms of getting new units online for other armies, I came back to try a Daemons soup list against Necrons. Another win! A rather convincing one thanks to hot dice!

I should note that hereabouts we've gone back to our 'Crusade Lite POV Character' narrative gaming. Build to 2100pts, but you have to take a single consistent Non-Epic character worth up to 100 points in every game with that faction. Your POV character is the one who gets most of the enhancements / advances on an XP tree, but every few levels they can upgrade a single vehicle, infantry unit and other characters around them from time to time... So that's why this list is 2100 points:

List:

Daemon Prince (Berzerker Glaive)

Master of Executions (POV Character)

2x Jakhals

3x Berzerkers

1x 8bound

1x Exalted 8Bound

2x Maulerfiend

1x Defiler (las / cannon / claw)

1x helbrute (las / missile)

1x Bloodletters

2x Flesh Hounds

1x Rendmaster on Throne

Mission: Supply Drop (vanishing middle objectives), Disrupted Comms (2CP re-roll strat), Long corner deployment.

Left is rolled to disappear turn 4; centre remains to end of game. I roll first turn and gun it on to all three centre objectives.

My Centre:

large.WE_Crons_T1_C.jpg.a3c7a192b2ae665f

Mr Right after T1 move ('chariot' is a Maulerfiend):

large.WE_Crons_T1R.jpg.afb426dd6ae1a26fc

I roll advance and charge and 8bound long bomb on to Skorpekhs, killing 2.

large.WE_Crons_T1L.jpg.11c3f003703fbca77

Turn 1 Centre enemy moves up and kills half of one jakhals and a couple Zerks. One Doomstalker puts 3 damage on the Defiler.

large.WE_Crons_T1CA.jpg.9c2bc0d0f0c4b9a1

Then his Skorpekhs and Lord charge in and kill some Zerks, but Master of Executions (Herkim the Sane) remains alive having dealt 4 damage to the Lord, and the chariot nukes the rest of the Skorpekhs there:

large.WE_Crons_T1RA.jpg.6b205d7f1f060110

In a similar vein, Catacomb Command barge charges the Left maulerfiend who had reached objective turn 1... and is punched out immediately after dealing a few damage to it (not pictured).

Turn 2 I play conservatively instead of gunning hard with a full Deepstrike. Flesh Hounds show up to screen corners for secondaries. Helbrute and Defiler actually kill a Doomstalker! Left Maulerfiend comes around the back and combines with Daemon Prince to double charge the Nightbringer. The Mauler does 5 wounds with Lethal.  I spend a CP on Daemon Prince for +1 to wound on the C'Tan, and then roll a 6 on Berzerker Glaive. Coming in with 9 attacks at Damage 6 (3 on Nightbringer), I roll 3 6s in the wound roll and chop the Shard in half.

large.WE_Crons_Coup.jpg.c6951008da3d6af7

Opponent gets 0 Primary turn 2. He drops in some Praetorians to at least try and push out to right flank, and the centre Crons fall back on to centre objective while some Immortals bamf over to maybe try for centre if 20 warriors die, but opponent submits when Praetorian fail their charge and I'm walking into turn 3 with a 30 point lead. 

Talked it over with opponent - his Crons collection has a couple holes, but the potential is there for sure... Just a few more Immortals and Triarchs I think, and a bit more conservative play... and better dice!

World Eaters... They fierce y'all. I just picked up 2 Deimos Rhinos from my partner for Xmas too, so I'll likely play with them next time for full on armour spam Weasels : )

KILL MAIM BURN

The Good Doctor.

Edited by Dr. Clock

• 3 months later...

Back to Khorne this week for final game with the army before I add 2 Rhinos... But stuck between the skew lists.

Assuming no transports or Angron, which list would you all be most interested in seeing on the table?

a) Herohammer Horde - 30 Berzerkers and 4 characters

b) Engine Stampede - 4 fiends and Leviathan

c) Daemons for some reason - 20 Bloodletters, hounds and skullthrone

KILL MAIM BURN

The Good Doctor.

Jeepers. Blood for the Blood God!

Basically kicked in Thousand Sons teeth in two turns. We talked it through and think my opponent both didn't bring enough early trading pieces, couldn't make enough happen in his first turn shooting, and had no resources to screen properly.

Before I get to the game report - the reason for the game:

large.Weasels_Apr24.jpg.54d6294feeeb677d

The middle three were this week's little project. Super fun; a bit fiddle getting the eviscerator on the old metal guy front and centre, and heresy pads are a bit hard to glue to warp talon claws, but a fun little project before diving in to my second 3 kataphrons...

While setting up, realized I had forgotten my second maulerfiend... So final list (2100pts because that's how we roll for narrative games):

Invocatus

Jugger Lord - Helm

Khârn

MoE

2x10 jakhals

6x5 Berzerkers

3x3 Eightbound

1x Maulerfiend

2x Forgefiend

Honestly, this list is a bit terrifying. It can't really get into opponent's deployment zone early, but it can slam centre hard in turn 1, and it'll hit both flanks with some force in turn 2.

Here was the centre in turn 1:

large.Weasels_TSons_T1.jpg.ccee065273cdd

Basically his maulerfiend got monched, and I ate 7 bolter KSons.

He didn't even challenge the left flank, so there were 2x5 Zerks over there, one of whom made it on to that objective through the Invo Scout:

large.Weasels_Advance.jpg.5a6bcff27d05e5

In the far right corner you can see the tail of his 2nd 10-man Rubrics who gunned down 2 8bound turn 1 and killed 2nd on Overwatch in my turn.

Oh - this boi also got his debut in this game (was all assembled a while back before I knocked it off the table on its way to first game lol - just whipped it back together on Monday morning):

large.Weasel_Fiend.jpg.13fde5bcd89aa503c

His turn 2 he walks the 10 rubrics on to the right but then kills... 1 Berzerker? He was all geared up for Sustained and Devastating, but couldn't quite proc the devastating when he needed to. So I rushed him.

large.Weasels_TSons_T2R.jpg.89b7b319d4a8

I didn't kill them all... but Master of Executions merked the Infernal Master and 7 more rubrics fell.

This was the centre after my turn 2 charge:

large.Weasels_KSons_T2C.jpg.90eba3fb1bb1

Daemon Prince also survived on 1 wound thanks to terrible hit dice on my end, but Invocatus was mixing it up with 5 flamers and Ahriman.

He had dropped 5 Scarab occult and a Sorc Lord to try and grab left objective, but he failed the charge which allowed me to kill 3 terminators with the forgefiends and then charge 5 Zerks on to them while their non-Scouting brethren grabbed it for turn 3.

His cards were bad enough in turn 3 that we just called. He had lost 20 rubrics, 2 infernal masters, 4 terminators, Daemon Prince, Maulerfiend.

I had lost 8 8bound and 5-6 Berzerkers and was ahead about 10 points.

Anyway... super fun game, and I think I'll probably stick with 6x5 Zerks and 3x3 8bound even when I integrate the 2 Rhinos I'm adding next - 2x5 scouting with Invocatus in addition to 4x5 mounted should be even more high pressure, which feels great. Mostly going to just drop some characters for that:

Lord Invo

Master of Executions

2x10 Jakhals

6x5 Berzerkers

2x Rhino

3x3 8bound

2x Forgefiend

2x Maulerfiend

KILL AIM BURN

The Good Doctor.

It was good - I like the game to be a bit closer than that tbh... Opponent is only just getting to grips with his list; army not quite complete in the same way mine is. We're going to proxy like 2x3 Enlightened and maybe a second Mutalith for him next game. Basically I think he just needs a couple cheap early trades and a bit more mutalith aggro to throw out on flanks.

As it was, I feel like I just kinda won on sheer action economy... I had 17 activations to his 11 (2 of those being just Rhinos).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.