Returning Player - Using Old Models

Go to solution Solved by Dr_Ruminahui,

• Solution

In a casual setting you are likely fine even without a base size change.  Some players may not like the size difference (its probably a bigger deal with the obliterators than the termies, frankly, as the new oblits are quite large) and some may not care.  I suppose one way to do it is if you are having "drop in" games (for example, where various players show up and play whoever else happens to do the same) is to have 2 lists - one with the "problematic" models and one without.  Another would be to make the opponent aware of the issue and tell them that you are willing to be generous in terms of drawing LOS to the models.

I don't foresee much problem, particularly with the termies.  Its not like you are using a 2nd ed. eldar avator (which is smaller than the current eldar infantry models) instead of the modern model, which is about the height of the bigger knights.

I only upgraded my Terminators to larger bases in 2020 and they went to lots of tournaments on their old 25 mm bases. Nobody complained. I still haven't upgraded my Chaos Bikers and no one has complained at tournaments.

Of course, after the first game I'm usually on the bottom tables with the other casual gamers/clubbed seals where no one cares about such things. :)

Wanted to make sure others with more experience got to chime in before I put in my two cents. In a casual setting I can't imagine anyone having a problem especially if they are on the right sized bases. I believe most chaos models should be viable besides maybe specific loadouts. The only unit I can think of that are gone are mutilators and I imagine it's an easy proxy away from a obliterator anyways. Welcome back to the hobby though!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I assumed most wouldn’t care but being out of the loop for so long I wanted to be sure-ish.  What I was thinking of doing was just mounting my oblitz and termites onto the new bases without removing the old bases which will help make up some height.  For the oblit mass difference I will just have to be generous with LOS as noted.  My oblitz are from the 3.5 Ed codex era, luckily not the user tiny ones.