Bitter Duty in Characters joining any unit

Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf

Hi fraters!

It's really possible take Moritat for example, and make him join any other unit(A Tactical Squad, Terminator Squad,...)

Bitter Duty don't allow a character without it join a unit with this rule. It's crystal clear. But in the case of a character with it and an unit without it?

I remember we were some of us talking of this weeks ago but Im still unsure.

2 hours ago, Galron said:

Its funky but I believe the way its worded is a unit cannot join a character with bitter duty, but an IC with BD can join a unit without it. Otherwise 2/3 of dark angels and 1/2 of BA characters can never have a retinue or join other units.

I always think a character with Bitter Duty can only join units with Bitter Duty... You know, Moritats with Destroyers, Chrone with Angel's Tears,...

ICs with bitter duty can join units without it. The rule says:

A unit that includes any models with this special rule may not be joined by any model that does not also have this special rule...

And what you're asking to do is the opposite. Only ICs and the apothecary/techmarine join units; a normal unit doesn't join an IC.

Makes for some pretty nasty word bearers combos.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Heir of Sigismund said:

Thread revival; say you were to join an apoth or techmarine FIRST, then can you join the bitter duty IC after?

Yes

On 4/12/2023 at 12:30 AM, SkimaskMohawk said:

ICs with bitter duty can join units without it. The rule says:

A unit that includes any models with this special rule may not be joined by any model that does not also have this special rule...

Join techmsrine, join IC.

• 2 weeks later...

While this reading is correct at the moment, I would expect it to be FAQ'd if we ever get any more FAQs. The current situation is weird in that once a Moritat has joined a unit no other IC can. And if two ICs are by themselves then the moritat can join the other one but not the other way round. This is nonsense and I'm pretty sure not what was intended.

Also note that an apothecary (etc.) can't join destroyers. That's called out in the rules, though not written in the clearest way possible.