Optimal Army If All Units Were Viable

Valerian

Just a post to start a little dialogue.  If all units were just as viable as any others, and you felt like you were free to assemble any combination of forces from among our choices, what would you pick?  What are your favorite choices based on aesthetics, lore, etc.?

For me, I just love the newer Gravis Armored units, like the Eradicators (below) and Heavy Intercessors.  They aren't the most aligned with the Space Wolves' melee focus, but I'd definitely build a whole force out of models like these.  Especially if they eventually add more characters in Gravis Armor options (Wolf Priests, Rune Priests, Iron Priests, etc.).

Combine a bunch of Gravis units with some Redemptor Dreadnoughts (also below), and I'd be really happy with how a force like that would look on the table.

image.thumb.jpeg.6700e4f98083660c6ce282b8908ac996.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.242fabde9bde7e8b54ddfa07b32fad37.jpeg

Your models look great!

I always liked infantry based wolves armies with rhinos to get across the board. I would field primaris grey hunters, blood claws, and long fangs. I’m hoping we get the applicable rules and keywords added to the respective primaris units. The primaris scale is more appealing. Your Gravis armor has me inspired to add some to my army.

Fwiw although we are definitely a melee army now but back in 3rd-5th I viewed us as a jack of all trades, master of none army. That’s likely because how strong grey hunters were in those times. My play style with wolves is cagier than our reputation.

I miss when a nice fluffy army was possible. A little bit of everything,  some Grey Hunters in Rhinos, a brick of Blood Claws, some terminators led by arjac or njal, long fang fire support and a dread or 2 to round it out. 

That said I do like some of the new stuff. I am also partial to Gravis and I love Eradicators. And Dreadnoughts are one of the things that turned me onto 40k in the first place. Mostly I hope 10th doesn't reward spam so much and instead let's us play across the collection a bit more. There are so many fun models for space wolves, reward me for bringing them. 

The primaris for me, have been a lot of work to get them functional in my wolves I feel.

Blade guard and desolators have felt the most wolfy to me.

For whatever reason I haven't liked most of the intercesssors/primaris unless I do heavy conversions.

When the wolves update happens I'm hoping we get wgpl back in across everything. Like a "no force org slot lieutenant" that must be attached to x squad. (Even though I could totally see our book appearing in 2-3 years :/ )

I do think it would go a long way to improve the old charm.

As for list building, ark of omen list building actually fixed army building for my wolves so I hope it's style continues

On 4/18/2023 at 5:20 AM, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

. Mostly I hope 10th doesn't reward spam so much and instead let's us play across the collection a bit more. There are so many fun models for space wolves, reward me for bringing them. 

I think 10e will be much better with encouraging this, since some of the units' special rules only allow a single unit of that type to use it per turn.  For example, only 1 Wierdboy gets to take advantage of Da Jump at a time.  They've already mentioned limitations like this before showing us the Wierdboy, so imagine there will be more incentive to diversify more than ever before.

Another unit I'd love to run would be a landraider; hopefully in 10th it has good rules and a fair point cost (finally).

With the Assault Ramp coming back, and the significant increase in Toughness that has been signaled there is a fair chance that Land Raiders are back on the menu.  Perfect for Terminators, but also for Wulfen delivery now, too.  And protected mobility is what Wulfen needed most.

Edited by Valerian