Sons of Horus Decapitation force gallery

Hello there, I started in Horus Heresy as of November last year after 12 years in the hobby. I ummed and erred over a legion landing on the Sons of Horus a) to balance my current leagues Loyalist/Traitor ratio (Imperial Fists, Blood Angels and World Eaters are the others :) ) and b) because we are eventually bring Primarchs to the party, it would be rude not to have the rematch of Sanguinius and Horus at some point (sorry Vulkan, as Salamanders were my first option otherwise)

I'm going to try and upload some pictures to document my progress in building and painting up the force, though I'm not the most accomplished painter I will admit. The idea behind the force is a large infantry force that would land ahead of a main force and aim to take the leadership of the opposition to sow maximum discord in the foe or just kill their will to fight (basically what I got SoH's tactics down as from limited research) for now I've attached a WIP pic of my Spartan from the AoD box, I'll update with a few more of the squads as I get time too :)

IMG_20230301_172400_123.thumb.jpg.1bde8b47cb2c97284b8fa271fbdeffd7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So Quick update as I've not posted on here in a few weeks, everything is still WIP, partly as Inotice things and keep going back to neaten them/add some extra detail/or just get the colours right as it's a often quite a bit between times when I get to sit and paint.

I've added detail to the Spartan, though it still needs a wash and some weathering applying to the tracks. We've also got the Praetor conversion, as the AoD axe man was set to take a Thunder hammer and is currently being re-armed to something more appropriate (thanks to my Blood Angel friend for the spare axe arm for the one below :) ) I will point out the lighting and my camera flash have lead to the colour looking more Blue than he actually is, though like the Spartan needs some light washing in places to make him look a little better...

IMG_20230515_220034538_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20230515_220057274_MFNR.jpg

Continued as couldn't fit the other pictures in xD we have my two Contemptor dreads (Leroy and Jenkins, so called because in game 1 they charged off into a 4 way dread off and survived. They will receive proper Cthonian names when I come up with something appropriate). 

The other latest addition being A Herald kitbash as he was intended to join the force at 3K, but with a Master of Signals and Abbadon, he might stay out yet to allow the Praetor to see the campaign through. Used an old Chaos Warrior banner for his standard (though it is going to have a transfer applied once I've managed to get the shading right.

I will try to get some better pictures for next time, likely the two Tactical squads and their Rhinos, as they are closest to completion. Also working on a unit of Justaerin, Reavers and Destroyers in the mean time, but hopefully the next update will come relatively shortly :)

IMG_20230515_220230811_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20230515_220346670_MFNR.jpg