When and in what was jarl first used as Space Wolf title?

Gamiel

On 4/22/2023 at 3:20 PM, Mazer Rackham said:

First time I saw it was in Ragnar's Claw by William King, (I think). Ragnar uses it to thank Wolf Lord Berek Thunderfist for a bracelet, in repayment for quick thinking.

Was going to say.

10 hours ago, dees said:

Does jarl mean Chief or Lord?  I think it does in old Scandinavian, but I never though of it in SW terms. 

In swedish it a title for a lord's highest official, or somebody ruling an important area in the name of the lord (more or less). I'm not certain how it work in Denmark or Norway, but what I have seen so do GW, and lots of other English speaking creators, use it as a synonym with king or Lord when they want something to sound Nordic-/viking-ish.

Have appeared here and there from time to time in SW works.

Edited by Gamiel

• 4 months later...

Follow question, I have read a claim that in-'verse is 'Wolf Lord' a mistranslation of 'jarl' - which I find strange since it would easier be translated into just lord, or the closest english noble title 'earl', but I can see it since GW seems to try to turn the SW from their original barbarian culturs/concepts mishmash into just vikings - and I was wondering if anybody know where this was first mentioned? 

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not the first mentions of it, but the title is used for the 30K Wolves, along with Thegn for pack leader.

I think it is used in A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, Wolfsbane and in the HH7 book Inferno. Also used in short stories, such as Wolf at the door from Tales of Heresy, Book 31 Legacies of betrayal amongst others

Its likely Jarl was used in the earlier Space Wolves works by Black Library, and Forge World used it as a link between the Wolves that were and the Wolves that are.