Unit abilities vs mission rules.

Hey everyone. 

So I was playing a Tempest of War game with my World Eaters the other day against a friend. I planned on bringing my Eightbound in from strategic reserve turn 1 with their -Bloodscent- ability. The ability rules state that the unit treats the current battle round as being 1 higher REGARDLESS OF ANY MISSION RULES. It then explicitly states that the unit can arrive the first battle round  this way.  

My friend pointed out that the rules for Tempest state that Strategic Reserve units may NEVER arrive during the first battle round.

I told him that the unit's special rules trump the mission rules.

Who was correct? 

Thanks.

Well, mission rules usually trump general rules. For example, the rules for Deep Strike don't specify any limits on the turns you can arrive in - the "units can arrive in turn 2/3 only" rule is part of matched play missions.

But here you have a unit rule that specifically  over-rides the mission rules. In this case, I would suggest that the unit rule trumps the mission rules.

Looking at the wording you've provided, the argument goes:

"I want to deploy a unit from reserve in turn one."

"The mission rules say you can never do this."

"The unit's rules allow me to ignore mission rules."

"Okay. But reserves rules stop you arriving till turn two."

"My unit's rules allow me to treat turn one as if it were turn two, and specifically note that I can deploy in turn one."

"Fair enough. Crack on."

22 hours ago, ExeterOborach said:

The ability rules state that the unit treats the current battle round as being 1 higher

My friend pointed out that the rules for Tempest state that Strategic Reserve units may NEVER arrive during the first battle round.

And the Eightbound treat the first roud as the second round, so they arrive in the second round. No rules are broken. The wording is correct, in that they may never arrive in the first battle round, however they treat the first as the second, so to them it's the second battleround, so they can appear.