Now Peals Midnight - Questions

Ingo Pech

Hi. I just have one question regarding "Now Peals Midnight". 

I'm just rereading all HH-books and writing a more or less short summary of every story, just for fun. And now I've stumbled over the words, Dorn remembers during the last hours before Horus arrives at Terra.

Most of these are from Solomon Voss, Malcador, Curze, Sigismund, Archamus or himself and I remember them from "The Last Remembrancer", "The Dark King", "The Lightning Tower", "Praetorian of Dorn" or "Crimson Fist".

But two of them I can't associate with a story. Can anyone help me out perhaps?

1. "The Imperium will not survive if it doesn't die, brother..."

2. "One night we shall look up and see the heavens burning"

Thanks in advance and kind regards.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking because both of them are from Now Peals Midnight

Spoiler

Strength and truth shall be its future, but for now it will serve us as a place of slaughter. And this will be a slaughter…. That is the price of that future.’

His own voice followed Rogal Dorn as he walked beneath the Dome of Unity. The voices of others wound through his thoughts, on and on, shouting from the silence. He thought of all the steps he had taken in his life, all the decisions made, and all those that now seemed to have a different meaning to what he had thought at the time.

‘It will never end, don’t you see that? Hate only breeds hate and the Imperium cannot be built upon such bloody foundations.’

‘You are not my son. And no matter what your future holds, you never will be.’

‘The Imperium will not survive if it does not die, brother…’

‘Ash running through our fingers…’

‘I am not your son…’

‘Lord praetorian.’ His personal vox cut through the voices of ghosts.

‘Speak, mistress,’ he said, subvocalising into his armour’s vox so that neither Archamus, Andromeda or the other huscarls would hear.

Edited by theSpirea

"One night we shall look up and see the heavens burning" is from The Crimson Fist, when Dorn is talking to Sigismund on the eve of the Battle of Phall:

"He will come here," said Dorn softly. "He will not stay out amongst the stars and bleed us to nothing. No, he is still Horus. The single spear thrust to the throat, the final killing blow. He will come here to finish this. One night we shall look up and see the heavens burning."

"The Imperium will not survive if it doesn't die, brother" - This one I couldn't find. I got a list of every story Dorn appears in (on the assumption that someone said it to him, or he himself said it), removed those published after Now Peals Midnight, and then did a search function in my pdf/epub files of every story, looking for "Imperium will not". Couldn't find it. So either it is a quote from a book Dorn didn't appear in, or it only appeared in Now Peals Midnight, or my search function just failed to find it.

Edited by Tymell

Just a hunch:

Couldn't that be Curze? I do not know where his short encounter with Dorn is written down (maybe one of the Forge World Black books?), but it would be likely for him to say something like that

Edited by Tolmeus

Many thanks @Tymell for your help and efforts. It's most appreciated. 

And @Tolmeus: thank you for the advice regarding the Black Books. 

It sounds very much like Curze but I didn't find the quote in "The Dark King" or "The Lightning Tower", the two short stories where their encounter is written. So perhaps it's from the Black Books. I will take a look. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 8:28 AM, EverythingIsGreat said:

It sounds more of an Alpha Legion dictum to me. Likely a post-Cabal one. They are the Traitors who really aren't, pining for Chaos to win so it can lose. Or so at least a number of ALphariuses are saying.

The vast majority of the AL fell deeply to Chaos during the Scouring as Omegon abandoned them. They haven't seen him for 10k years

Just like the Night Lords, Daemon Princes command them to fight for Chaos

14 hours ago, Moonreaper666 said:

The vast majority of the AL fell deeply to Chaos during the Scouring as Omegon abandoned them. They haven't seen him for 10k years

Just like the Night Lords, Daemon Princes command them to fight for Chaos

Maybe. Or that's what Chaos thinks, anyway.

11 hours ago, EverythingIsGreat said:

Maybe. Or that's what Chaos thinks, anyway.

Krieg Archebus commands the largest warband and can boss the others around. Decimus is a nobody

Dhar'leth is a former Night Lord. Not hard for him to boss around his former Legion, especially if he has the Warmaster's approval

The Painted Count is the highest-ranking NL member behind Archebus the Axemaster. He had no problem rallying his Legion to fight the Unforgiven

I don't see a Legion of Loyalist AL saving the Imperium. I see a Legion of corrupted, Chaos-symbol-wearing Marines killing Trillions, chanting to the Dark Gods and committing countless acts of sabotage to destroy the Imperium

Arkos the Faithless was a Chaos Champion

The AL Lord that attacked Fenris with the TS worshipped Chaos

To wear Chaos symbols, especially when knowing what they are, invites corruption. To say the Dark Gods's names while committing violence causes A LOT of corruption

Being Possessed voluntarily or fighting alongside them is a cesspool of corruption. The Alpha Legion uses Dreadclaw Assault Pods, Obliterators, Warp Talons, Sorcery, etc

Both Legions have DOZENS of Daemon Princes that command the Traitor Astartes