Blood Angel dreadnoughts going into 10th? Should I get them?

Helias_Tancred

Earlier last year I got rid of all three of my Blood Angel specific dreadnoughts- Furioso, Death Company, and Librarian. The last one was really a dumb move on my part looking back because I actually used him a number of times in previous lists. But I was using my contemptor and my redemptory almost exclusively. 

So right now, mere weeks before the 10th edition launch should I once again purchase the older dreadnoughts? It seems the Librarian will always be good for us into the foreseeable future? What about the Furioso and the Death Company dreadnoughts?

I also got rid of all my "old" BA Dreads. I'm waiting on the new edition and BA Codex or supplement (or whatever it's going to be) before I do anything. BUT, since I like everything to be the same scale, I will use the Brutalis to make an upscaled DC Dread, maybe even a Furioso. Should be able to mod another Redemptor to a Libby as well. Shapeways is a great resource for bits, but so is myminifactory and various 3d print sites. I found an upscaled DC Dread file that will provide a properly scaled Magna-Grapple.

There has been a rumour (take with a big pinch of salt) that the classic "Boxnaughts" will be moving to Legends in 10th edition. This is not confirmed, nor is it clear if this applies to variants such as the BA and SW dreads which are much newer kits.

However I would suggest waiting until 10th drops so you can be sure what you can field. On the other hand, if your gaming group is cool with Legends then go ahead and fill your boots as they are lovely models.

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

There has been a rumour (take with a big pinch of salt) that the classic "Boxnaughts" will be moving to Legends in 10th edition. This is not confirmed, nor is it clear if this applies to variants such as the BA and SW dreads which are much newer kits.

I certainly hope not... maybe if all castaferrum pattern became venerable, that'd be ok. 

Especially since I just bought an ironclad!

Since the coming of Primaris, all firstborn dreadnoughts have a significant handicap.

They are slower... 6" of movement while the primaris chassis has 8"-10". That's a major bonus for a unit the hits hard in melee.

Edited by Spyros

If you like the models but then if you liked them enough you probably wouldnt have gotten rid of them. 

I for one havent parted with any of mystorm angel marines and doubtvi willingly will. Extras that arnt seen as part of that force i will make exceptions of and have essentially a willing to sell but then iv discovered i have attachment to even those (ie i sold my black reach orks a few years ago and often wonder about them even though i never played them and they were only a painting project)

I will most likely pick up a Librarian Dreadnought, and I'm going to get the Agastus box so I definitely will add the Redemptor Brutalis to my Blood Angel collection.

I'm going to wait and see for a bit after 10th comes out to see if there is any new options for a redemptor Furioso or Death Company dreadnought before I outright buy two more kits.

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

5 hours ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

I will most likely pick up a Librarian Dreadnought, and I'm going to get the Agastus box so I definitely will add the Redemptor Brutalis to my Blood Angel collection.

I'm going to wait and see for a bit after 10th comes out to see if there is any new options for a redemptor Furioso or Death Company dreadnought before I outright buy two more kits.

I love my Brutalis and just treat it as a Primaris Furioso. I was tempted to paint it black and keep it as a Death Company one but I held off since I wanted to just have another big red machine. I doubt there's going to be an updated Furioso or Death Company version as the Brutalis 100% covers that role and Death Company dreadnoughts are easily made by painting them black and throwing a few smears of blood here and there. I know having a fancy sarcophagus would be nice but you can probably mould or convert something onto a Brutalis just fine and call it a day. It'd still look cool if you want to do it, even if it has no different rules. I do the same thing with painting my Death Company's old Rhino black and I'm glad it's gonna be useful again in 10th. 

As for the Librarian Dreadnought, I'm not sure they're gonna do a Redemptor version unless it's either for the Blood Angel codex sometime in the future or, if that codex doesn't exist, the BA range refresh that covers new Sanguinary Guard/Priests and so on. I've just been soaking mine in the ooze so I can repaint him recently, just curious how good he'll be. I'd have to guess that he will do much the same thing he does now; be a big beefy beatstick. Whether you need another one of those in your army is up to you but it's fun to have several different options and switch between them. Here's to hoping he gets Wings of Sanguinius as his power in 10th.