2k ITC Ishtarian Militarum Help

TechCaptain

A tournament is coming up in a few weeks that is 9th Edition Arks of Omen 2k. I am debating on going with what went alright with my Knight Army or try out a Astra Militarum Army. My idea is down below but here I have a few more options but only in relation to HQs, some troop choices, and elites. I have no Karskins or Storm Troopers, and This is all my vehicles. I will post my army as is in a day or two. I would like ideas on strategies or if I should scrap them as they are for now. 

ISHTARIAN BRIGADE V1
Army Faction: Imperium - Game Mode: Grand Tournament - Army Size: Strikeforce - Regimental Doctrines: Born Soldiers

ARKS OF OMEN DETACHMENT - Faction: Astra Militarum
HQ
Platoon Command Squad (75) - 1x Platoon Commander: Bolt pistol, Power sword - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Master vox - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Plasma gun - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Regimental standard - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Sniper rifle
Platoon Command Squad (80) - 1x Platoon Commander: Bolt pistol, Power fist - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Master vox - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Medi-pack - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Plasma gun - 1x Veteran Guardsman: Regimental standard - Astropath, Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet - Ogryn Bodyguard
Tank Commander (185) - 2x Militarum plasma cannon, Executioner plasma cannon, Heavy bolter
‘Iron Hand’ Straken (75) - Warlord
Troops
Cadian Shock Troops (65) - 6x Shock Trooper - 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant - 1x Shock Trooper: Grenade launcher - 1x Shock Trooper: Meltagun - 1x Shock Trooper: Vox-caster
Cadian Shock Troops (65) - 6x Shock Trooper - 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant - 1x Shock Trooper: Grenade launcher - 1x Shock Trooper: Plasma gun - 1x Shock Trooper: Vox-caster
Cadian Shock Troops (65) - 6x Shock Trooper - 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant: Bolt pistol - 1x Shock Trooper: Grenade launcher - 1x Shock Trooper: Meltagun - 1x Shock Trooper: Vox-caster Catachan Jungle Fighters (70) - 6x Jungle Fighter - 1x Jungle Fighter Sergeant - 2x Jungle Fighter: Flamer - 1x Jungle Fighter: Vox-caster
Death Korps of Krieg (85) - 8x Death Korps Trooper - 1x Death Korps Trooper (Plasma gun) - 1x Death Korps Watchmaster: Power sword, Plasma pistol
Infantry Squad (65) - 7x Guardsman - 1x Guardsman: Flamer - 1x Guardsman: Vox-caster - 1x Sergeant: Chainsword, Boltgun
Infantry Squad (65) - 7x Guardsman - 1x Guardsman: Grenade launcher - 1x Guardsman: Vox-caster - 1x Sergeant: Chainsword, Bolt pistol
Voidsmen-at-arms (40) - 1x Voidmaster - 3x Voidsmen - 1x Voidsmen: Voidsman rotor cannon (To be built so maybe not)
Fast Attack
Armoured Sentinels (50) - Militarum plasma cannon, Hunter-killer missile
Heavy Support Heavy Weapons Squad (55) - 1x Heavy Weapons Team - 1x Heavy Weapons Team: Autocannon - 1x Heavy Weapons Team: Mortar
Dedicated Transport
Chimera (90) - Armoured tracks
Taurox (75) - Storm bolter
Lord of War
Banehammer (515) - 2x Twin heavy bolter, 2x Lascannon - Tank Aces (Super-Heavy models) upgrade: Knight of Piety
Elite Character
Commissar (45) - Plasma pistol
Regimental Enginseer (40)
Regimental Preacher (45)

Total Command Points: 0/6 Reinforcement Points: 0 Total Points: 2000/2000

Superheavy is always fun and should do work. If you can run the lobe Sentinel as a Scout it'll probably do more for you, as it opens up some precious forward deployment, always nice to have.

And you want a way for the Tank Commander to receive orders, otherwise it'll Mortal Wound itself to death. You can either do that by giving it a tank ace to order itself, or by making it a regular Russ and giving one of your officers or the Commissar the Superior Tactical Training WL-trait.

I am on the fence of even using this group as another guard player mentioned it’s fairly subpar and likely would get me stomped in a tournament setting. I am going to test play it this weekend to see just how it plays. Though I think the above suggested adjustments are a great thing to incorporate.

Other ideas I have been thinking on is the relic that would allow a Commissar a deny the witch roll and maybe the warlord trait to give the preacher extra attacks. 

other suggestions have been to break up the leadership blob of attached since I don’t have artillery or aircraft. 

Edited by TechCaptain

So test play of my Guard worked even worse than I thought they would. Basically It was Guard Vs Alpha Legion. The heavy weapons took out my banehammer in two turns but the worse part was the Possessed who just ate my army in a 4 round buffet. It was 14 to 81. I can do a more complete report later but safe to say my guard could barely scratch the possessed. What few weapons that had the stats rolled badly. The best performing units was Straken, Astropath, Ogryn Bodyguard, and Preacher. Mainly this was do to 4+ invul on all of them for various reasons. 

Possessed are a tough nut to crack. I played an emperors children army today that ran a 10 pack. They are the ultimate distraction carnifex. I'm surprised they were able to down a baneblade chassis that quickly. T9 and 2+ is real durable against most non guard/tau/LoV shooting. 

Your list is really light on firepower. I'd move those heavy weapons into the infantry squads(where they are free!). Enginseer and Knight of Piety is an overlap that you can probably go without, drop him. That frees up 95 pts. I'd probably drop the preachers as well, another 45 pts. That gives you 140 pts get rid of the Voidsman and you have 180 available. Almost 3 more infantry squads or another LR. 

Without Scions and/or Kasrkin, you are going to need tanks, imo.

What kind of terrain are you playing on? WTC, Player Placed, GW GT? That will effect army choices as well. 

I'm running this currently with pretty good success. Bullgryn hold the center(smashed a DP today and killed 4 Possessed). Tanks support, RR play quick reaction force or free up tanks if they get touched. Scions are problem solvers, they are still humans so die in a hurry. Its a 400ish point drop force that will just erase something or multiple somethings. You don't have them so you'll need to swap something else in. Locals here like more tanks(All tanks actually) I prefer the more tool box list options. 

Cadian Command Squad with Perfectus orders and Clarion Proclamatus

Lord Solar

Tank Commander with Gatekeeper and sponsons

4x Cadian Shock Troops

2x5 Scions

5 Bullgryn (mixed shields)

1 Scout Sentinel

2x5 Rough Riders

Vanquisher with HB Sponsons

Plasma Executioner with Plasma Sponsons and Tank Ace for Trophy Hunter

Scion Patrol

Scions Command Squad with Finiale Banner and Drill Commander