Why do you play the Wolves? And background check...

Prot

Ahhh … I love questions like these. I wrote down my 10 best reasons to collect and play Space Wolves a few years ago, but I realized I needed to update them. Thanks for the inspiration!

1. The Colour Scheme

I just cant help it … the black icon of the great company on a yellow shoulder pad is just the single most appealing colour combination for Space Marines for me. The blue-gray armour around it, together with some more yellow patches and some warm leather parts and lots of fur, is just sooo pleasing. And the fact that you can add lots and lots of red, white and black in the mix, with a huuuge freedom for variations about the question which part of the model to paint in which colour … it makes the army really stand out, and every new unit offers new painting opportunities. I really tried painting other space marine colour schemes, but it wasn't even remotely as much fun as painting Space Wolves.

2. Lukas

There is just no other character like him among the Astartes. Whenever I think about coming up with a home-brew successor chapters or when I get excited about another official chapter, it always ends with a single thought … "But they don't have Lukas".

3. Humour and Hedonism

The Space Wolves seem to me as the only Astartes that have at least something comparable to Humour and Hedonism. All the others seem to be only grim and only dark and only war. Although it’s contradiction in terms: This makes them the most human Legion or Chapter, in my humble Opinion. They're boasting and brawling … you don’t have to love it, but can’t just not like it. And to put it with the Words of a good friend of mine … there’s always a thin thread of romanticism within each Story of the Space Wolves. Often you don’t see it beneath all the rage and blood and gore, but it’s there.

4. Long Hair, Beards and Braids and braided Beards

The Space Wolves are almost the only chapter that wears beards. The White Scars also have Fu-Manchu-Moustaches, but that hardly counts. All other Chapters and especially the Vanilla-Marines have hardly any form of facial Hair, like at all. Arguing that this is unrealistic seems to be the wrong direction for me, because … hello … we’re talking about the 40.999, “realism” simply isn’t a part of the setting.  I just do like Warriors with Beards, Braids and long Hair. More than the others. Much more. Aaand  … I like, that two of these features are considered very “manly” when portrayed on (Space-) Vikings, but generally are considered to be primarily within of the female part of the (hair-) fashion world. I very much like the cross-gender notion of that. And of course, I always had a thing for the Sons of Durin …

5. Cunning Wolves

The way Leman Russ acted in "Prospero Burns", changed a lot for me. Lorgars interpretation of the Night of the Wolf also adds to this. Leman Russ and his Space Wolves lean into the image of the barbarians, because it's in line with their traditions and their gene-seed, but they are much more than this. Although many Primarchs quickly realized that, and many Astartes of other chapter get behind it eventually, it makes the Space Wolves just deeper on the narrative side. I really hope playing the Wolves in 10th Edition will bring a few moments that feel like this …

6. Codices and Terminators

I started collecting Space Wolves between 5th and 6th edition. And every single Codex since then had more aspects that I liked, than all the other codices. Their focus on Character Models, Long Fangs as better Devastors, Bjorn as HQ, Terminators as Wolf Guard Pack Leaders and their overall huge freedom for Terminators always made it my favourite Codex. I just love Terminators.

7. Kitbashing Walhalla

It’s not alone the sheer amount of Miniatures, third party Bits and Transfer Sheets that are available for the Space Wolves and Speeehs-Vikings and Science-Fiction Celtic Warriors … it’s also the fact that they so well integrate and kitbash with the common Fantasy Barbarians. It’s like you get the best of two worlds: Conan and Han Solo – with Beards and Braids and braided Beards and long Hair and even braided long Hair. I think there’s not a second Chapter or Legion, that has such great kit-bashing opportunities.

Buuut … even without any third party bits, the Space Wolves are an amazing kitbashing Chapter. With all the bits from the Firstborn Sets alone, you can kitbash virtually any other Games Workshop Mini into a great Space Wolf, well almost …

8. Getting old is not for puppies

I really love the way of the Space Wolves, when it comes to the progression of the Packs. You start with 14 other Blood Claws. If you're cunning enough to survive the first years, you and about 8 or 9 of you become Grey Hunters, the backbone of the Space Wolves. If you avoid dying long enough, you become a long fang, a master of the ranged warfare, or a Wolf Scout, a perfect sneaker with just a handful of Pack Mates. And in the end, you're a Lone Wolf, searching for a worthy death worth a saga. The way, the Space Wolves appreciate getting older … I can't help it … it just resonates in me.

9. There's a lot to read

I enjoy reading and listening to the Adventures of the 31st and. 41st Millennium, quite lot. And I love that my army gets a new novel now and then. Plus: I always love how the Wolves are portrayed (ignoring the first books about Ragnar, hehe). Always rumbling and ruffing, but with very different ways to approach things, sometimes headstrong, sometimes cunning, sometimes sneaky, sometimes loud, sometimes powerful, sometime gruesome. But always and ever … the rest of the Astartes looks down on them. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

10. Vikings in Space

Everyone loves Vikings. Me too. But … to be honest, I like Mongolians more, by far. I considered playing White Scars, but I didn't feel comfortable, messing around in grim dark future with the legacy of a culture, that is so far away from me. I am not a Scandinavian either, but at least it much, much closer to my own cultures' heritage.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:28 AM, sbarnby71 said:

Can't remember the year, but I bought a Paint set that contained the "Space Marine Painting Guide" and this page got me started:

Wolves.png

It's funny the bit where it states they "take great pride in following the Index Astartes almost to the letter"!

That was from either 1990 or 91.  It was after the Primarchs were introduced in 90, but before the updated Space Wolves lore and paint scheme that was introduced at the end of ‘92.  

Hi all,

Colin here from Western Australia. Been playing Space Wolves for the last few years. I really only run Firstborn lists, as I still use a lot of my old metal minis and vehicles. Got back into 40k during 8th Edition after not playing since 2nd edition as a teenager. I had a little success in 8th and 9th Edition with my lists, despite my use of firstborn and not including any Primaris. Gave 9th Edition a rest about 1 year and a half ago cause I felt the game was getting a bit bloated and power/codex creep was a bit silly. There is quite a competitive scene here in WA, so always playing against strong lists. Have been keen to get back into 10e after playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle 8th for the last year or so. 

20230628_183755.jpg

I played Space Wolves back at the beginning of 2nd Edition and I always have, stopped playing around 4th edition and sold everything off..   Came back at the start of 8th and picked straight back up with the Wolves..  I was disappointed to see how GW had gone into the Wolfy Mc Wolf Wolf Wolf aspect of the army and veered away from the Norse side..  

Thunderwolf Cavalry and The Sleigh are the WORSE things I've EVER seen.... 

Great responses. I love catching up on this thread.

And yea while I'm 'okay' with TWC, the Santa sled slew me. Definitely falls in the: what were they thinking category.

Ashes of Prospero is only the second book I can find with SW Primaris. It's really not a 'Primaris' book though, but it does a neat job of trying the old with the new. Hard to say anything without spoilers but it is a very interesting premise to give the 'newer' generation a real glimpse of the past.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, Filius said:

2. Lukas

There is just no other character like him among the Astartes. Whenever I think about coming up with a home-brew successor chapters or when I get excited about another official chapter, it always ends with a single thought … "But they don't have Lukas".

I loved your entire post. But I do think the Great Wolf would second Lukas to a Space Wolves primaris successor for a heritage/cultural visit. The successor chapter would be thrilled to accept an exchange with their founding chapter. At least for the first few minutes of Lukas arriving.

12 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

I loved your entire post. But I do think the Great Wolf would second Lukas to a Space Wolves primaris successor for a heritage/cultural visit. The successor chapter would be thrilled to accept an exchange with their founding chapter. At least for the first few minutes of Lukas arriving.

Ab-sooo-lute-ly brilliant idea! I want to read a novel, or at least a short story about that, right now!

13 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

There is a cool sub plot in Ashes of Prospero involving Lukas.

Spoiler

SPOILER: Lukas ends up leading some very new Primaris space wolves into some covert actions and the reaction they have to him, as well as his own kind of awkward capabilities are really a nice touch in the novel.