10th ed Leviathan Starter set - Tyranids

So glad to see some new ‘Nid models!

Screamer-Killer - Awesome to see this model, although I feel like the torso could be a bit beefier overall given the length and wingspan of the blade/claw-arms.  The only thing I absolutely don’t love on it is the face, I’d really prefer a different head.

Neurotyrant - Wicked looking!  The only thing I am not keen on is that I don’t see a lower jaw accompanying the two upper jaw sections I think I see (if anyone can point them out, please do!).  The rest is fantastic, love the cranial plating, brain detailing, claws and arms, as well as the tentacles, along with the small floating brains!

Neurogaunts - Love them!  Great appearance, love the heavier plating and raised dorsal ridge, they are wonderfully distinct from Hormagaunts.  I am looking forward to any redone Hormagaunts GW may have up its sleeve though!

Winged Tyranid Prime, Von Ryan Leapers, Termagaunts - Like them, but seen and discussed before.

Barbgaunts - They look very nice!  Loving the different gun, and the closer in heavy weaponry concept, as opposed to the artillery one for the Biovores.

Psychophage - WICKED, love it!  Definitely resembles the Venomcrawler, but distinct enough to be decidedly ‘Nid.

Definitely like the Tyranid half of the Leviathan box better personally, it’s tempting to get just that half of the models while waiting on the multi-part kits for the Marines half.

I see some hate here but for me it's the Neuroguants that really sell it. Little armoured bodyguard bugs that throw themselves into the line of fire I mean that's so rad exactly the kind of unit the Hive Mind was missing. The Barbguants are f'ing excellent too cuase I love shooty nids and these guys scream alien with thier total lack of symmetry then there's the Neurotyrant f'ing eh and alternative Tyrant that isn't just another close combat monster. Shooty horde list here I come.

9 hours ago, sockwithaticket said:

Everything looks fantastic, I can appreciate players' concerns over the new smaller models that they aren't particularly necessary for the roster and have been created at the expense of updating other units.

Neuroguants are absolutely necessary and Barbguants as well being a dedicated shooter something there isn't too much of. This whole thing where people complain about new models going oh well they should have done X instead is getting old and a little entitled, I've done it myself and I'm a bit ashamed of it. Tyranids are actually looking really fun they finally have the diversity of units to make really distinct lists like Marines do.

The last big wave for me was alot less exciting cuase it was basically all big monsters for a long time and we should really hold off on the criticsm of why didn't they redo this instead when we've been explicitly told this is just part of a major refresh for the army. This is all good times.

1 hour ago, Bryan Blaire said:

Neurotyrant -  The only thing I am not keen on is that I don’t see a lower jaw accompanying the two upper jaw sections I think I see (if anyone can point them out, please do!).  

I was puzzled by this as well - I'm pretty sure, on closely studying the Profile image of the head, that it's like H R GIger's Alien design with a secondary jaw, although it appears to be on a tentacle as opposed to an intentionally-phallic rod.

As for myself, I am loving all of these guys - still can't get over how they somehow pulled off superimposing the old 2e "Angry Egg" aesthetic over the current Carnifex design, and having it actually WORK.

Also, with Neurogaunts extending synapse range, I'm really looking forward to Tyranids being able to go even harder into hordes than they've managed before. I don't even need to take Warriors if I don't want to!

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Yeah, I am going to buy these on eBay when Marine players sell off their bugs after buying the big box. Should be a surplus of bugs from the hordes of Marine players, so they should be a relative bargain.

Never been interested in Nids before, but these kits are really great.

100% best time to start them and the beauty of these is that this is where snap fix really comes into it's own with a large alien horde army.

I hope the screamer killer gets a multipart kit eventually.

They are so creepy and truly alien looking I love it!

Perfect mix between 80’s nostalgia and modern day repulsive horror.

I will be buying at least one of every box- Leviathan, and each of the three starters if they follow the same pattern they’ve done for the past few editions

9 hours ago, tinpact said:

I really like the rocket launcher gaunts - them and the Psychophage are probably my favorites out of the box.

I really like the Barbgaunts, I just hope they supplement not supplant the Biovores and Pyrovores. All three together (assuming the latter get new sculpts) would look pretty sick in a group

11 minutes ago, sitnam said:

I really like the Barbgaunts, I just hope they supplement not supplant the Biovores and Pyrovores. All three together (assuming the latter get new sculpts) would look pretty sick in a group

Biovore/Pyrovore would fit perfectly as one of the two ETB kits that should be coming soon after the launch box if they got the same way as 8th/9th and AoS 2nd/3rd

Edited by Matrindur

Some great models in here, I'm especially in love with the vore-tastic Psychophage, old school Screamer-Killer and wonderfully sinister Neurotyrant, which looks like someone infused a Neurothrope with Count Dracula.

Not quite as sold on the little gribblies, though they aren't bad, just not doing it for me as much. I like the Barbgaunts in principle, but they look awkward and have too much of the "Tyranids holding a bio-gun" as opposed to it being part of their bodies, which I've never liked.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, gideon stargreave said:

That screamer killer is absolutely beautiful. New aesthetic but absolutely a nod to the original. Brilliant move Gw

Yeah, that seems to be a solid theme of this Nid wave: Termagants harking back to their older 2nd ed versions, the Leapers having some of the vibe of the old Alien-inspired Hormogaunts, and the Screamer-Killer calling (screaming?) back to the OG Carnifex.

At this point I'm surprised we haven't got a new Warrior variant with some of their old gangly aesthetic.

Edited by Tymell