10th ed Leviathan Starter set - Space Marines

25 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

Honestly not a bad idea!

On the topic of the thread, almost everything seems like it's going to need its own stand alone kit, but we have also had things in 8e and 9e starter set that never got stand alone releases, or were released for a super high mark up later. Wonder if that will be the case with a lot of the nid stuff. 

I can sadly see that being the case but I'm hopeful everything gets its own multipart kit...though the leapers, as mentioned before, may not make it.

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

Maybe we should organise here on the B&C to all make Youtube channels and follow each other - we'd never need to buy models again....

I'm in! Ready to Like and Subscribe to all your content for reciprocal actions. Make sure to link to your FB, IG, and TikToks. :wink:

Oh and on the topic of the starter box: I went by one of the independent stockists near me to put my name on his shop's "interested" list for the Leviathan box. He already had a few dozen people who had done the same. His shop isn't the only one in town and we also have a GW store as well. I imagine the other shops have such a list as well. This is in a midsize U.S. metro area. Not sure what others are hearing, but thought I'd pass it along.

Edited by Large and Moving Torb

The Terminator Captain/Tyranid Prime will probably just be in all three starter sets this time.

The Apothecary Biologis, phobos lieutenant and Sternguard/Neurotyrant + drones and Screamer-Killer will be the Honored of the Chapter/Royal Court sprues this time which will only be available from GW directly.

The Sternguard will also probably be the only kit from that pile that will get a multipart release. no reason for the Apothecary Biologis, phobos lieutenant or Neurotyrant to get one and since the Screamer Killer is on the same sprue it will probable also not get one.

The Dread sprue could go three ways, either only for this box and get a full multipart release later, multipart release but also release the EtB as well or use the EtB version in the biggest starter set.

The Infernus Squad and Termagant and probably the Terminators EtB will be in the starter sets while getting a mpk release.

The Terminator Librarian, Von Ryan's Leapers and Psychophage can just be release as is.

Neurogaunts and Barbgaunts don't use the normal sprue connecter style so could be possible to still split up as their own releases since it seems they each are on their own halfs

9 hours ago, mel_danes said:

I'm swapping the tall boy legs for a standard pair of Redemptor legs.

Oooh that's a great idea! I got a pair of unassembled Redemptors collecting dust. Will potentially plunder one to switch the Ballistus up from being 'too stock'.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

9 hours ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

What's wrong with ETB dreadnoughts? Typically the ones with CCW look very static, but in all the pics we've gotten of this dooder, it looks like a fine rifleman dread to me...

Rifleman IIC or nothing :).

As a whole I am not a fan of ETB in general.

Its something that just "triggers" me. (I hate that word but can't think of a better one)

Look at the Redemptor (Multipart) vs ETB version it just feels off to me.

My dislike for ETB isnt just on the Dreadnoughts.

Look at the following, Inceptors & Hellblasters... Their weapons are different styles, it just puts me off. I had the same issue with the BGV too.

Look if you like ETB I am not even going to attempt to tell you that you are wrong its simply not the case... Its just a preference for me.

I do however like the Outriders which I suppose would technically be ETB.

23 minutes ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

Look if you like ETB I am not even going to attempt to tell you that you are wrong its simply not the case... Its just a preference for me.

I think it is a case by case basis for me. Necron Warriors are great as an ETB kit

18 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I got one of the slightly warped Brutalis Dreads from Agastus. I would take Easy-to-build over PITA-to-build. :wallbash:

OK I can't argue that point :P

15 minutes ago, sitnam said:

I think it is a case by case basis for me. Necron Warriors are great as an ETB kit

For me thats mainly marines its the only barometer I really have.

20 hours ago, Sea Creature said:

I saw a post today from a content creator who hasn’t put out any content for months… yet he gets a box. Doesn’t seem right.

One of my hobby acquaintances did somw stuff for GW 10ish years ago, and has had his GD entries in WD a couple of times. Doesn’t have any social media, and only talks hate about GW. He has been receiving free stuff for years.  

3 hours ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

Snip

I don't have a problem with ETB. It's not a preference. My assumption is most people don't like them for issues like gaps and so forth, so issues in build quality. ETB models don't have to be built using the intuitive press fit method. Clip the guide pegs, fill the seems, actually put some effort into them and they look fine. 

I don't think the ballistus looks bad at all. It's certainly not as static looking as the contemptor that came with calth or the ETB redemptor. Again, not having a CCW goes a long way with this. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

3 minutes ago, Plasma said:

I'm someone who's totally out of the loop on press-to-fit models — does Leviathan being made out of them mean that no glue is required at all? And consequently there are only a few set poses per model? 

Yes and one pose per model, squads like the flamer marines will be 5 sculpts x2

Edited by danodan123

1 minute ago, Plasma said:

I'm someone who's totally out of the loop on press-to-fit models — does Leviathan being made out of them mean that no glue is required at all? And consequently there are only a few set poses per model? 

I think so, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, it's limited poses. Usually about 5 poses for a 10 man Squad with an option to assemble one as a Sergeant. For 3 man squads they tend to have 2 poses. For 5 man, I'm not sure, I haven't taken a lot of notice of the poses of the Terminators or Sternguard. I'd guess 3. 

Just now, Plasma said:

Yes and Yes. Heads tend to be swappable as-is. With snips/scalpel you can usually cut off the pegs connecting shoulder->arm, so you can shuffle arms around between models and glue them, and you can of course swap in and glue bits from other kits fairly easily. 

Torso+leg poses tend to be pretty hard to adjust without significant surgery, and have limited amounts. For marines, the shoulder-pads are moulded onto the arms; if you wish to fit different ones (e.g. with a chapter symbol on) the blank ones need to be carved off, which can vary in difficulty - the pyreblasters look pretty easy, the terminators less so for example.

Yeah, getting all of Indomitus' assault marines with different pauldrons was ez pz, just a bit of surgery.

Trying to get some of the Bladeguard was an exercise in frustration lol.  For those guys, they got a helmet swap and maybe a little dangly blood drop.

17 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Yeah, getting all of Indomitus' assault marines with different pauldrons was ez pz, just a bit of surgery.

Trying to get some of the Bladeguard was an exercise in frustration lol.  For those guys, they got a helmet swap and maybe a little dangly blood drop.

green stuff chapter symbols and weapon swaps for me!

1 hour ago, Plasma said:

The poses are 100% set. Some models, like a Sergeant might get a couple arm/head options, but the posing is fixed unless you really want to kitbash.

I find the "No glue required" claim to be specious to the point of being misleading.

+ Some of the push fits are so hard that you'd be hard pressed to every get them apart once together. However, very often, the parts that require most pressure are subject to breaking or deformation. I generally carve away parts of the pegs to make the assembly process a bit smoother. Some are difficult to assemble otherwise.

+ The marine arms tend to go together nicely, but are easily jostled, leading to potentially scratched paint.

+ Some tiny bits, like the chest shields are a mix of both. In any case, I've never found a dab of glue to be a bad investment with these kits.

Have fun building!

2 minutes ago, Flaherty said:

The poses are 100% set. Some models, like a Sergeant might get a couple arm/head options, but the posing is fixed unless you really want to kitbash.

I find the "No glue required" claim to be specious to the point of being misleading.

+ Some of the push fits are so hard that you'd be hard pressed to every get them apart once together. However, very often, the parts that require most pressure are subject to breaking or deformation. I generally carve away parts of the pegs to make the assembly process a bit smoother. Some are difficult to assemble otherwise.

+ The marine arms tend to go together nicely, but are easily jostled, leading to potentially scratched paint.

+ Some tiny bits, like the chest shields are a mix of both. In any case, I've never found a dab of glue to be a bad investment with these kits.

Have fun building!

To be fair, they've got a lot better - it used to be chopping down pegs was almost mandatory to get a proper fit, but newer kits do assemble easier. But yeah, I usually thin pegs or chop em off and use poly cement anyway.

Edited by Arkhanist