10th ed Leviathan Starter set - Space Marines

5 minutes ago, ArielRSA said:

This is kind of like the opposite of the new terminators - it’s clearly a Primaris designed kit but anyone can be in the suit

Is this a quotation in any of the articles somewhere or was it mentioned on stream?

Regardless, the distinction is starting to be eroded. There isn't a single mention of primaris in the leviathan box reveal article

1 minute ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Is this a quotation in any of the articles somewhere or was it mentioned on stream?

Regardless, the distinction is starting to be eroded. There isn't a single mention of primaris in the leviathan box reveal article

No quote just a thought Had to watch with sound off

2 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Stream did mention they are primaris "Scale" while the article only mention  Tacticus armour, which at least now seems to be it's own keyword as seen on the Infernus squad.

Captain looks great.

Sternguard are a massive let down - one Mk VII helmet, and a single studded greave, which misses the point by it being clearly Tacticus: the studs were to bond the plates together in a rush in the Heresy, so it being a studded MkX is...stupid). For their talk of "combined with parts from older armour marks" it's about as weak as it possibly could be.

Infernus Squad, eh. Never liked the look of Pyreblasters, but that's just my preference.

Ballistus - looks incredibly stupid. The Lascannons look a lot smaller than in the video, and the height of the model/length of the legs make it look like a chicken. Looks super ungainly and the beer gut of the Redemptor chassis does it no favours.

Overall, a swing and a miss in my opinion. They clearly tried to evoke Firstborn designs with the Sternguard and Ballistus and completely failed at it. At least the Terminators are great.

I like the Marine half of this box more than I thought I would. I like all four characters, the Sternguard are a decent update and I think being a bit less ostentatious than their Firstborn brethren improves the look. There is such a thing as too much decoration. And obviously the Terminators being a faithful re-sculpt is fantastic. I also like the Brutalis, though I think it could have been better.

The Infernus squad are dull though. Just more Tacticus with different weapons. Primaris really suffer from that with some units, they're not really any different, just the same guy picking up a different gun. I wish they'd modify the armour a bit to suit their roles. They did it with assault Intercessors but haven't bothered with any other Tacticus. Extra targeting gear and reinforced greaves on the Desolator Squad, up-armoured helmets with extra air filtration on the Infernus squad - they could have added some personality and uniqueness to the units. But they didn't bother and those particular releases just feel lazy and uninspired because of it.

6 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I love the sternguard, the infernus squad is fine, quite phoned in. The dread looks off, I think because it’s a push fit (look at the push fit Redemptor compared to the mpk)

Although I like the new dread a lot I can see what people mean about the legs being a little off looking. Luckily I have a regular Redemptor still unbuilt so I'll try sticking the Ballistus torso on those legs.

14 minutes ago, Kallas said:

Captain looks great.

Sternguard are a massive let down - one Mk VII helmet, and a single studded greave, which misses the point by it being clearly Tacticus: the studs were to bond the plates together in a rush in the Heresy, so it being a studded MkX is...stupid). For their talk of "combined with parts from older armour marks" it's about as weak as it possibly could be.

Infernus Squad, eh. Never liked the look of Pyreblasters, but that's just my preference.

Ballistus - looks incredibly stupid. The Lascannons look a lot smaller than in the video, and the height of the model/length of the legs make it look like a chicken. Looks super ungainly and the beer gut of the Redemptor chassis does it no favours.

Overall, a swing and a miss in my opinion. They clearly tried to evoke Firstborn designs with the Sternguard and Ballistus and completely failed at it. At least the Terminators are great.

everything i could say has been said here. 

The nid side looks good though

6 minutes ago, excelite said:

Depending on the price, there is no need to buy multiple.

they stated that both half’s are their new combat patrols.

They only said you can build combat patrols from both sides, not that everything will be in the CP

The Tyranid combat patrol they showed is missing the Neurotyrant, Screamer-Killer and Neurogaunts.

Don't remember if they said anything about the SM CP but I wouldn't expect it to have all of the launch box either

Edited by Matrindur

Glad to see they're still Sternguard. Primaris fans can buy into Sternguard now, Firstborn fans can use their older models, it's literally what GW should have done all that time ago and I guess the closest to an admission of a mistake we'll ever get.

Brutalis Dreadnought... like it and the rules, though would have preferred a beefier pair of legs.

Terminators... I'm all over them. I'd like helmets for the character but maybe there's something I can do.

Rules... I'm not happy with each unit having a special rule. Strategums cause bloat, so they remove Strategums and move MORE special rules onto the datasheet of each unit. Sure I can find those rules, but mental load to keep track of... uh.

15 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

They only said you can build combat patrols from both sides, not that everything will be in the CP

The Tyranid combat patrol they showed is missing the Neurotyrant, Screamer-Killer and Neurogaunts.

Don't remember if they said anything about the SM CP but I wouldn't expect it to have all of the launch box either

This was my take on it as well though I'm now wondering how they're going to handle the three tier starters this time round.

10 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

This was my take on it as well though I'm now wondering how they're going to handle the three tier starters this time round.

Reading through the article that makes sense.

on the stream they said it otherwise, as they seemingly forgot to mention it.

1 minute ago, Nagashsnee said:

That is actually fantastic news, unless the box is a HUGE savings saves me the hassle of finding someone to split with. 

Might want to read a few posts up as it's possible that these aren't going to be the combat patrols you actually buy, but just one you can make from the leviathan box

And 2 more units that get a Primaris replacement, Sternguard and shooty boxnought.

I believe at this point we are only missing Assault Marines, Assault Veterans, Rhino equivalent and some flyers, isn't it? (The Impulsor IMO is the Razorback equivalent, not Rhino)

2 hours ago, Matrindur said:

image.thumb.png.19d5578e7c12fee08c557a7c0eab2a5f.png

The pot belly on these dreads doesnt look out of place IMO with the shooty/perpendicular arms, though a bit top heavy

Hopefully multipart has some options to replace storm bolters. Will be interesting how old school/new school.they go with different arm weapon options

I'm a little disappointed. 

I couldn't wait to see the minis after the trailer, but now that I have seen almost none of them interest me... 

The primaris veterans are sternguard and I already have 30 first born Sternguard. I think there will be only one sternguard profil so I don't need 5 more of them. 

They all have the same pose in the infernus squad, so I will waiting for the separate release of the squad. 

I have enough lieutenants, terminators, archiviste terminators, captain terminators and those are not good enough for me to make me replace my old mini. 

In the end, I only like the dread.