10th ed Leviathan Starter set - Space Marines

2 hours ago, Valkyrion said:

Interesting roadmap; 4 xenos, 2 space marine, 2 imperium, 1 chaos.

Does the roadmap indicate new minis - do any of those factions particularly need a refresh or just a touch up?

They did say during the stream that there will be new models with each codex drop. I'm going to assume that there'll be a lot for Space Marines and Nids beyond what's in their box in the few months after it comes out but as for the others, it could be anything. I'm guessing there won't be any big range refreshes besides Nids for a bit though since they did say they'd do a lot for them and it's only just begun. SM always get Equal Attention Cakes so naturally there'll be plenty more alongside the Codex. The others will have to hope for the best. 

So the units in order:

Captain: a lot a better than i feared he would be. As with the witch, the trailer really undersold him. He should fit right in with what I got, though i have to wonder if the double tilt shield is a fashion statement of his?

Witch: Stated this before, witches have no business looking this good. Not sure what I can even do with him though. Turning witches into other marines like chaplains through conversion is time honored tradition, but the runes all over the armor makes this into a real uphill battle.

Apothecary Biologis: Wait a minute....

image.thumb.jpeg.d61f99011edd032400fa9b1b3f4b3cf7.jpeg

First thought is I'll have some new bits to modify my existing conversion. Should probably be easy to find spare bits of the new guy to use. Quite like the new guy as he is

so will want to paint him up intact as well.

Lieutenant: Cool model as he is, though I'll probably modify him like i've done with most of the few phobos models I got.

Sternguard: Biggest surprise me for me. Mostly that they're sternguard. Models are pretty true to the original 2013 kit with better proportions. The flappy bits are exactly in the style of my crusaders or blade guard, so they will fit in perfectly with what I got. Overal the new models have somewhat pulled back on ornamentation, so there it is in black and white: nu marines less grim dark, uwuuuu~~~:tongue::wink:

Terminators: My first warhammer love are better than ever, still what I await the most. New chonky legs are perfect.

Infernus squad: Hmmm, don't I already have one of these?

image.thumb.jpeg.53718532bf32d87eb1b42e3742a95d72.jpeg

Don't get me wrong having some more poses will not go amiss, but I don't need quite that many additional bodies.

Ballistus: It's alright. Feels very top heavy. As a third dread not bad. Not sure how I could go about decorating him though. Maybe lots of hanging bits?

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

2 hours ago, happyslugger said:

Hope they make enough as I'm going to want a box or two :-)

There was a question about availability in the 40k Q&A, apparently they have made more of this box than Anything they have ever made before.

Will be a queue for the website and 1 per customer.

As to whether that's enough, we will have to wait and see

2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

9 codexes in one year! Way to go GW! Don't work yourself tooooo hard. I was hoping with trimmed down rules they would crank them out faster than previously...

They’re seemingly never going to ditch that model. It’s likely too profitable for that to ever be a realistic possibility. Some people don’t like too many codices coming out in rapid succession, if you can believe it. I assume because they’re compelled to buy them all immediately.

Did GW mention whether the kits in this box are indeed “starter set” versions, or are there going to be full multipart versions of each farther down the line?

I really like all the kits. The infernus squad is a bit samey, making me wonder about the question above.

Everything else is just great. The slightest bit of disappointment that not every sternguard has a combi-weapon, but it is far from a big deal. Who knows what their loadout options really are, ultimately.

7 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

The slightest bit of disappointment that not every sternguard has a combi-weapon, but it is far from a big deal. Who knows what their loadout options really are, ultimately.

I share this feeling too but believe when they release a standalone kit of it, you'll get more and differing options for the squad beyond what's in this big box. Same goes with the Terminators too, including probable Assault variations but that's just guess. 

I can't see them not doing individual boxes for the dudes in there and have to assume they'll bring them out a few months later when the madness dies down and the Codex comes out. They said they'll release things alongside the codex drops so it's obvious they will do this for Space Marines and not have nothing to release. That means the characters and units here plus whatever else they've got saved up if anything, though I am especially curious what multiple extra options you'll get. If you remember, the Bladeguard box had a few extra options beyond the Indomitus ones (actually just a pistol now I think about it) as well as the Eradicators (like heavy rifles/multi-meltas). I expect at least that much to be pushed alongside the codex. 

Edited by Bash

11 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

They’re seemingly never going to ditch that model. It’s likely too profitable for that to ever be a realistic possibility. Some people don’t like too many codices coming out in rapid succession, if you can believe it. I assume because they’re compelled to buy them all immediately.

Did GW mention whether the kits in this box are indeed “starter set” versions, or are there going to be full multipart versions of each farther down the line?

I really like all the kits. The infernus squad is a bit samey, making me wonder about the question above.

Everything else is just great. The slightest bit of disappointment that not every sternguard has a combi-weapon, but it is far from a big deal. Who knows what their loadout options really are, ultimately.

it is said, and one of the worst thing about the game imo coming from card games and other board games. having to pay for rules and wait years for new rules to be on the same lvl as everyone else is just really bad. Seems players are used to it so ya don't think they will change from only physical books over the course of 2-3 years. You'd think covid would have thought them some lessons but no :(

There may be some hope yet. Perhaps the coming iteration of the app won’t be garbage and will at least embody the modern idea of a functional digital ruleset.

But the models company continues to put out great new models. That they’re consistent about.

I too hope the terminator kits have the options for helmets, but they probably won’t. My Templars all have helmets other than the neophytes, so maybe I’ll just not glue in these heads until the kit comes out with perhaps some extras. Or buy a couple from a 3D printer, maybe.

Terminator Captain is very nice. 

Ballistus suffers from poor proportions like all redemptor based dreads, but seems amplified in this case, maybe because of the gun arms.

Mk10 Sternguard are ok, but would have benefited from more relic parts and knee rim removal.  Not as nice and regal looking as the current Sternguard.  

Based on the price draw T&Cs the box will be £150

11. The prize will consist of the Leviathan boxed set.

13. The value of the contents of each prize is GBP £150 (one hundred and fifty) / AUD $420 (four hundred and twenty) Australian Dollars.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Newsletter-Prize-Draw-Terms-Conditions-2023

The Dread is a vastly superior looking version of the old, top heavy box that would waddle around as it walks, making it an extremely poor mobile fire support system. 

The Primaris Sternguard are good. They are just better looking versions of the old kit. I'm very curious about their weapon configuration, and exactly what will be possible with the kit that comes in the starter.

The Infernus squad is cool, nothing too exciting about it. It's another unit pulled straight out of the Horus Heresy. It will be effective on the tabletop, especially as units can now exit a transport after it has moved.

The best looking model is, for me, the new Apothecary Biologis. This is not counting the updated Terminators. I'm not in love with either the Captain or the Librarian, but they will look good in person I'm sure. 

They nailed the marine side.  I absolutely love the sternguard.  Lots of open space to put chapter upgrade sprues, and not to cluttered to look too busy.  This box does primaris right.   The idea of an all flame, specialized unit Harkens back 10,000 Years,  But is still an update the redemptor even looks okay.  I still prefer the OG mortise, and this let's me proxy, but I'm going to buy and paint this up too.

No complaints, only compliments,  nicely done GW, good work on  Primaris this go round.