10th ed Leviathan Starter set - Space Marines

Man, the Sternguard look so good, and then GW had to go and ruin them with that :cuss: stupid cloth going under breastplate garbage. Hopefully a multi-part kit will come out where it’s somewhat easy to convert that portion to the better looking overlapping abdominal armor.

Why do they want all the plasma users to burn their hands off?  I really dislike the Sternguard combo-plasma with that inverted box mag.  Flip those two weapons and it would probably have been really cool.

Terminator Captain seems very much as expected and not that exciting, but a good looking, solid model.

Gravis Apothecary - cool model, stupid hood thing.  Hopefully that can come off easily.  Hats off to Marshal Reinhard for being a step ahead of GW’s releases!  :biggrin:

Terminator Librarian and Phobos Lieutenant - already been shown and discussed.

Infernus Squad - meh.  I don’t like the “whole squad armed with flamers” concept.

Ballistus Dreadnought - it looks like the legs should have been a bit beefier.  It’s not a bad model, but the legs just look a bit too slender - it seems like it would look better with the Brutalis legs on it.  Those legs are structurally likely the exact same size, but the extra bulk with the plating seems like it would fit better to me.

All in all, nothing in the Marines side I can’t wait for the multi-part kit for, which makes this box release good for me, as I’ll likely save money passing on it, or just spend my money acquiring the ‘Nids half of the box.

Man I wish GW would do better with their design decisions.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

44 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

Based on the price draw T&Cs the box will be £150

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Newsletter-Prize-Draw-Terms-Conditions-2023

Good catch, and puts it squarely in the price range I was speculating on despite it being a bit bigger in terms of model count than I originally thought.

2 minutes ago, Sky Potato said:

Conversely, 20% less than Age of Darkness.

It's also got more (and bigger) models in it along with the card deck, so it's not even like it's a straight price increase for a directly equivalent product; there is additional value in there too.

8 minutes ago, Xanthous said:

Hopefully GW will learn from the past and do some kind of made-to-order preorder guarantee or something. 

I saw they responded to an Instagram comment about scalpers with (paraphrasing):

"We've made LOTS of copies, and the queue system will be up on the webstore, and there will be a limit on how many you can buy"

So no explicit pre-order guarantee or made to order (for now at least), but some mitigating steps in place.

8 minutes ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

To be fair, everything (in the UK, anyway!) is 20% more expensive than 3 years ago,

If not more, sadly. Still paying 150% more for my gas/electric than I was in 2021.

Edited by Halandaar

The Boxnaught Redemptor getting 2x Shots from each of its big weapons is nice.  The problem I always had with the standard version was that it was the same as a squad weapon.  This at least gives them some extra firepower comparatively.  However, unless the Multimelta goes back to one shot the Brutalis Dreaknought is still a superior platform.  I am assuming that the pair of Multimelta’s remain two shot and are twin-linked.  

They probably want to avoid a Dominion (selling fast!) situation again.

Hopefully if things do end up as bad as feared, they'll pull another "dohohoh we didn't anticipate the popularity, we'll Listening(tm) and will have a pre-order promise when you buy from us direct!" since otherwise it's just money left on the table for them.

21 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

This never stops anyone. You can buy one then make a new order and buy another over and over

Depends how they enforce it - if it's one per order then sure, but you'd still have to go back through the queue again which makes it impractical for ordering large numbers. You'd need multiple accounts to get around that, and they could then limit duplicate orders by the same payment method or to the same delivery address, who knows. It's not going to perfect and there will be inevitably some way around it but it's a mitigation of some sort.

Its worth remembering that AoS Dominion, HH Age of Darkness, Warcry Heart of Ghur, KT Octarius (and Into the Dark too I think) all launched without any availability issues. 

Edited by Halandaar

Sternguard are nice sculpts, not sure I'd want them replacing the current kit. Flamer squad is fine- nothing to write home about and I still hate the whole "Imperial Aspect Warriors" design ethos but they're nice models. Characters look good, aside from the tactical rocks. Dreadnought is just a Redemptor with missiles and lascannons, and suffers as such.

Gonna have to work out what I'll do with the Marine half of the box. I don't collect Primaris but some of the sculpts I can see being useful for conversions.

33 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

This never stops anyone. You can buy one then make a new order and buy another over and over

A commenter on Reddit mentioned that in the Live Q&A session after the reveals, it was mentioned that the order limit would be Per Household, so probably based on delivery address. So that should help.

1 hour ago, Bryan Blaire said:

Man, the Sternguard look so good, and then GW had to go and ruin them with that :cuss: stupid cloth going under breastplate garbage. Hopefully a multi-part kit will come out where it’s somewhat easy to convert that portion to the better looking overlapping abdominal armor.

Why do they want all the plasma users to burn their hands off?  I really dislike the Sternguard combo-plasma with that inverted box mag.  Flip those two weapons and it would probably have been really cool.

Terminator Captain seems very much as expected and not that exciting, but a good looking, solid model.

Gravis Apothecary - cool model, stupid hood thing.  Hopefully that can come off easily.  Hats off to Marshal Reinhard for being a step ahead of GW’s releases!  :biggrin:

Terminator Librarian and Phobos Lieutenant - already been shown and discussed.

Infernus Squad - meh.  I don’t like the “whole squad armed with flamers” concept.

Ballistus Dreadnought - it looks like the legs should have been a bit beefier.  It’s not a bad model, but the legs just look a bit too slender - it seems like it would look better with the Brutalis legs on it.  Those legs are structurally likely the exact same size, but the extra bulk with the plating seems like it would fit better to me.

All in all, nothing in the Marines side I can’t wait for the multi-part kit for, which makes this box release good for me, as I’ll likely save money passing on it, or just spend my money acquiring the ‘Nids half of the box.

Man I wish GW would do better with their design decisions.

I love the models, but, if you wanted to have a non-cloth version, there are other models that can be easily converted to have the weapon load outs.

I think this release is great, though I am curious as to how the terminator captain may be assembled  any word on wether it has a helmet?

51 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

If not more, sadly. Still paying 150% more for my gas/electric than I was in 2021.

My business is now paying £30,000 a year for heating and lighting, so no more skimming 'supplies' from Steadfast Engineering (otherwise known as Alchemists Workshop) through my shop. :cry: :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Kallas said:

Sternguard are a massive let down - one Mk VII helmet, and a single studded greave, which misses the point by it being clearly Tacticus: the studs were to bond the plates together in a rush in the Heresy, so it being a studded MkX is...stupid).

While that was the origin, in lore studded armour components were aesthetic in nature after the Heresy, to honour the design of their predecessors.