10th ed Leviathan Starter set - Space Marines

Well the Sternguard Veterans appear to be the first Primaris unit that is a direct replacement of a Firstborn unit that isn’t a character. We’ve seen many Primaris units that are kind analogous to Firstborn units, but never a direct replacement of a Firstnorn unit until now. And no, I don’t count Terminators, everything about them echoes back to the Firstborn unit and shares no design elements from the Primaris range, with onl the size of the models and the through away line that ne Terminators a both Primaris and Firstborn. I do love everything in this box though.

4 minutes ago, Captain Smashy Pants said:

Well the Sternguard Veterans appear to be the first Primaris unit that is a direct replacement of a Firstborn unit that isn’t a character. We’ve seen many Primaris units that are kind analogous to Firstborn units, but never a direct replacement of a Firstnorn unit until now. And no, I don’t count Terminators, everything about them echoes back to the Firstborn unit and shares no design elements from the Primaris range, with onl the size of the models and the through away line that ne Terminators a both Primaris and Firstborn. I do love everything in this box though.

Does this count as a replacement or upscale?

Terminator Captain - eyeing him for a Belial conversion, but a solid model. Although admittedly, nothing we haven't seen before, and Belial might get his own new model soon.

Terminator Librarian - as discussed, will be buying that off the bat. Love the model to bits. There are cheeky thoughts to buy two and make the other one a Grey Knight. 

Apothecary Biologis - LOVE the model. Will definitely be buying one. Although I wonder what role will he play - it mentions he isn't really focused on healing, but more on the realm of science. I think like a chaplain, he might have a rule in the command phase, where he points at a unit he's attached to and has some sort of re-roll against XENOS units while maintaining some sort of FNP? Doubt he'll have the option to get the Chief Apothecary upgrade though mainly for the sciency reasons. I think this will be a very strong unit for Deathwatch for that reason and their anti-xenos synergies with 10th, mark my words.

Infernus Squad - look to be OP with how they force a battle-shock rule. Not a fan of the models though.

Ballistus Dreadnought - gives me laschicken vibes. Might need to do some kitbashing from the Redemptors or Brutalis to make those legs beefier. Datasheet is solid though, T10 with a 2+ sv? Yes please. Wonder what other weapons it comes with.. could we see the return of the Mortis Dreadnought but primaris-fied?

Sternguard Veterans - like the primaris-fied models, although I'm not sure whether DA will get the option to run them in 10th. Although, they do look like nice conversion fodder for DA specific intercessors. 

As far as my personal takes, I agree with the consensus that most everything looks good but the characters and Terminators are the stars of the show. I do like how they've blended the crux terminatus and Bladeguard (presumably all primaris) veteran sigils together on the sergeant and captain to represent the armor being used across all generations of Astartes now, it's a clever way of using small details to help bring the two sides of the line closer together. Same with the Sternguard, hopefully the mpk will include a larger percentage of classic armor components!

@Marshal Reinhard Perhaps a titan-style banner hung from the hip joints with kill tallies and crusade insignia?

@Bryan Blaire Agree that the combi-plasma configuration is...interesting compared to older designs. I'm also planning on using Brutalis legs for the Ballistus to get that sweet, sweet chunkiness. Great minds think alike!

@CCE1981 I concur on the Brutalis multi-meltas going to twin-linked rather than keeping full shots. Call it a hunch, but it would make sense for the primary weapons (like the new dread lascannons) to remain as multiples of a profile while secondary weapons like the chest mounts are twin-linked due to their position limiting fire effectiveness and their role as supporting armaments.

5 minutes ago, LittlePlasticHomies said:

Love everything on each side.

I haven’t seen anyone point out the great negative space from a modeling perspective. We don’t usually get these gaps in the starter kits - just the multipiece! Really excited at how the technology’s coming along.

7D683C1D-39E1-47E5-B869-B5ADA87E5630.jpeg

Not convinced it isn't just paint, but we'll see.

Truly the best part of the reveals:

20230429_175750.thumb.jpg.384dcc564e856786e2b34647ebceb720.jpg

Big man died and nothing of note was lost :wink:

On a (slightly) more serious note, a lot of the marine half is likely to find its way into one of my Chaos armies even if it's entirely bastardised, the terminators in particular will have a place in my Red Corsairs

I was a little surprised by the contents. I came away from the initial trailer video GW put out thinking there was going to be a phobos unit to go along with the LT. Then today seeing most of the units in tacticus armor made me feel like I remembered wrong. I was checking out youtube when I noticed a new video, checked it out and sure enough there is a phobos armored unit in the video with some sort of combi-weapon. I'm a little surprised those aren't in the box as well. Anywhere hear any rurmors on what those guys are? 

DROOL

Terminators all going into oldmarine Salamanders, everything else for the Primaris Storm Lords.

My Salamanders haven't had an HQ upgrade since the metal terminator chaplain, so this is gonna be boss: termy captain, libby and chappy each with their own terminator bodyguard (yes - will be mixing the new and old ones in the same list)

It's hekkin tempting to do the Infernus squad Salamanders though... probably just proxy my 5 oldmarine with heavy flamers to run a squad day 1, so never mind lol.

Wanting to know whether Infernus get battleline, fire support or close support designation... probably fire support cuz it's in the name? They do have shorter than equivalent Battleline range, however? Literally none of the pictures show the right shoulder : P For Storm Lords I'm thinking fire support so I can paint a 9th Co. squad though: do fancy me some blue helmets at the front lol 

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

3 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

I was a little surprised by the contents. I came away from the initial trailer video GW put out thinking there was going to be a phobos unit to go along with the LT. Then today seeing most of the units in tacticus armor made me feel like I remembered wrong. I was checking out youtube when I noticed a new video, checked it out and sure enough there is a phobos armored unit in the video with some sort of combi-weapon. I'm a little surprised those aren't in the box as well. Anywhere hear any rurmors on what those guys are? 

Do you have a screenshot or timestamp of that?

Edited by Xanthous

11 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Definately not just paint. Can see the underside of the left shoulder pad stretching around. A small gap thatd be all black if it was paint simulating it 

Not saying you are wrong but I honestly can't say for sure from that picture. They have very talented painters!

8 minutes ago, Dr. Clock said:

Wanting to know whether Infernus get battleline, fire support or close support designation... probably fire support cuz it's in the name? They do have shorter than equivalent Battleline range, however? Literally none of the pictures show the right shoulder : P For Storm Lords I'm thinking fire support so I can paint a 9th Co. squad though: do fancy me some blue helmets at the front lol 

They're definitely Fire Support. They were shown with Fire Support markings in the trailer and the included transfer sheet doesn't even have any Battleline transfers, but plenty of Fire Support.

6 hours ago, Valkyrion said:

Interesting roadmap; 4 xenos, 2 space marine, 2 imperium, 1 chaos.

Does the roadmap indicate new minis - do any of those factions particularly need a refresh or just a touch up?

They confirmed all of those get some new miniature(s).

Necrons still have some old resin kits (CTAN, and plenty of named characters) that could do some with some update...

33 minutes ago, Captain Smashy Pants said:

Bikes - Outriders

Attack Bike - Invader

Predator - Gladiator

Land Raider - Repulsor

Impulsor - Razorback

Castraferrum - Redemptor

Land Speeder - Storm Speeder

Just because they have fancy new names doesn't mean this weren't replacements as well

And that's without going into Chapter specific units like Death Company Intercessors or the whole Black Templar range refresh.

9 minutes ago, mecanojavi99 said:

Bikes - Outriders

Attack Bike - Invader

Predator - Gladiator

Land Raider - Repulsor

Impulsor - Razorback

Castraferrum - Redemptor

Land Speeder - Storm Speeder

Just because they have fancy new names doesn't mean this weren't replacements as well

And that's without going into Chapter specific units like Death Company Intercessors or the whole Black Templar range refresh.

Potential difference here is these units existing in tandem. We don't quite know yet with the new sternguard. Will they simply share a datasheet with the existing ones? They seemingly dont have any difference in what they can take. If so that'd make them the latest version of that kit. Or will we have 2 sternguard sheets? Then they'd be the same as all the other units you listed.

26 minutes ago, prava said:

They confirmed all of those get some new miniature(s).

Necrons still have some old resin kits (CTAN, and plenty of named characters) that could do some with some update...

Also some units like the old Destroyers, Lord, Overlord and Destroyer Lord.

I like the box. 
IMO its is a lot better than the Indomitus. 
I love tue Dread, dont think it looks off. Dont understand all the „hate“. 

Only thing is: 10x flamer marines? Hmm…

Tyranids look incredible too. 
Too Bad they didnt show as much of the datasheets for them as they did for the marines.