10th ed Leviathan Starter set - Space Marines

2 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Potential difference here is these units existing in tandem. We don't quite know yet with the new sternguard. Will they simply share a datasheet with the existing ones? They seemingly dont have any difference in what they can take. If so that'd make them the latest version of that kit. Or will we have 2 sternguard sheets? Then they'd be the same as all the other units you listed.

We have both Primaris and Firstborn versions of Crusader Squads in the supplement, so not an impossible scenario.

Time will tell, but I think it's about time that GW starts sending to Legends some of the old Firstborn units that have a replacement, the current SM book is the definition of bloat.

36 minutes ago, Eptesicus said:

Not saying you are wrong but I honestly can't say for sure from that picture. They have very talented painters!

Honestly. I might just have to check my eyes. I think the little gap I saw is something else. I still think its not entirely flat underneath on this particular one though, and if i recall correctly this isn't any different from how it was with some DI marines either.

SM7

Looking at the whole squad though we definately CAN see thos that are just flat underneath (like on the bottom left) so it's pretty much the same either way? They''ve gotten very good at making these.

Yeah but with the exception of the Outriders, the Death Coy and the BT Crusader Squad you couldn’t use any of those units using either the original Firstborn unit or the new Primaris version as their weapons and wargear are vastly different. I’m not saying you’re wrong that they’re replacements, but they’re not direct replacements. Going by what the new Sternguard unit is equipped with, I’d probably be able to use my circa 2013, Firstborn Sternguard squad using the new data sheet. On the other hand, using the rules of WYSIWYG, I wouldn’t be able to field a Landspeeder using Stormspeeder rules as they don’t have the same weapons.

16 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Potential difference here is these units existing in tandem. We don't quite know yet with the new sternguard. Will they simply share a datasheet with the existing ones? They seemingly dont have any difference in what they can take. If so that'd make them the latest version of that kit. Or will we have 2 sternguard sheets? Then they'd be the same as all the other units you listed.

This was my thought when I made my statement.

22 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Honestly. I might just have to check my eyes. I think the little gap I saw is something else. I still think its not entirely flat underneath on this particular one though, and if i recall correctly this isn't any different from how it was with some DI marines either.

Its pretty clear with this one that its just paint as you can see the black being brighter where more light shines on it

image.png.da0cd9410d1a144377e08891c544694f.png

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

This never stops anyone. You can buy one then make a new order and buy another over and over

Depends how far GW wants to go, and if they are willing to commit resources to it.

With the SOT LE books they actually go through and cancel duplicate orders like that, but I think that was a manual process 

7 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Why did it have to be Sternguard, nooooo

A unit I cannot historically take :(

Might have to plan to build a different chapter in 10th edition...

Its not necessarily all bad. The versatility of DW allows us to plop combi weapons into a kill-team. 

On 4/29/2023 at 9:55 AM, LostTemplar said:

I love the models, but, if you wanted to have a non-cloth version, there are other models that can be easily converted to have the weapon load outs.

I think this release is great

I’m very confused as to why you quoted me to tell me to do exactly what I said in my post I was planning on doing - converting the dumb :cuss: looking models to ones that suit my tastes better?  I didn’t say I wanted a completely cloth-free version either, so I think you missed part of my post with your response.  So it’s great that you love the models, but it doesn’t change my opinion that they are :cuss: stupid looking and lower the appearance of armies that are put in - note to all, this is a subjective opinion not subject to change because other people like them.

Thank you again for reinforcing my ability to do something that I’ve been doing since 1994 by converting my models to look better to me.  :facepalm:

——————————————

I’m glad that other people like them, truly, it means that GW will keep making models.  That means nothing regarding me liking them or thinking this is a good design.  The previous version of Sternguard looked great with just the loincloth positioned cloth drape, they needed no “under-breastplate” cloth to look good - I would prefer it to look like this out of the box, but am more than willing to do the conversion work on a multi-part kit to make it this way.  I’m not buying a box with ETB models that make it more difficult to convert out of the gate just to do that though.

Now if everyone will excuse me and let my opinion be, I’m going to go take it with me to this wind tunnel to explore the possible results of a certain idiom.

Please note Mods and Admins - I did not use any Reactions to respond to posts in an effort to spare the poor feelings of those who have challenges dealing with Reactions being added to posts in a thread, whoever they may be (if this doesn’t apply to you, don’t wear the shoe).

To those confused by this post: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:  Thank you so much!

:laugh: @Sea Creature Why so angry, chum…?

Edited by Bryan Blaire

40 minutes ago, mecanojavi99 said:

We have both Primaris and Firstborn versions of Crusader Squads in the supplement, so not an impossible scenario.

Time will tell, but I think it's about time that GW starts sending to Legends some of the old Firstborn units that have a replacement, the current SM book is the definition of bloat.

Said squads does have some differences in what they can take armament wise. Boltrifles and boltguns for one. According to the wording of the reveal article the new sternguard have "combi weapons" same as the old one. So it might be different

As a dreadhead, it's disappointing but the new dread does nothing for me, I'm glad there's less 90's ford taurus jellybean curves but the legs and the beer gut still don't help. The sternguard knockoffs are the least unappealing primaris I've seen, but I'll stick with the Classic flavor to avoid the primaris comic book shape silhouette. Termis and Termi-Cap look good though. 10th already looks like it's gonna be as enjoyable as 9th was...

8 hours ago, WARMASTER_ said:

I wish they would have pushed it a bit more… One MKVII helmet isn’t loads of mixing a MKII or MKIII helmet or Older Weapon [Heavy Bolter maybe] could have been really cool 

yeah i really hope the multi part kit is more like the current sternguard set with very detailed individualized armour, and less "we stuck a robe and crux terminatus/ skull on one knee of these intercessors now they're veterans.

1 hour ago, Matrindur said:

Its pretty clear with this one that its just paint as you can see the black being brighter where more light shines on it

image.png.da0cd9410d1a144377e08891c544694f.png

And the width of the rims is inconsistent across the moels of the squad too. On some its very narrow, others very wide.

Guest Triszin

we are at a point with tacticus, that IMHO, GW should sell weapon upgrade kits ala HH2.0.

Desolators, Infernus could been a weapon upgrade sprue for intercessors

9 hours ago, Arbedark said:

The Dread looks totally Battletech, in the best possible way, and I need 3 of them immediately. 

Yes!

9 hours ago, Wispy said:

just need to model that dread into a squat.

anyways, delighted for primaris sternguard.

Kneeling. Kneeling would be perfect

Overall:

Ouch. Not gonna be a cheap box. But if I can find a Nid player, it's on.

57 minutes ago, NovemberIX said:

As a dreadhead, it's disappointing but the new dread does nothing for me, I'm glad there's less 90's ford taurus jellybean curves but the legs and the beer gut still don't help. The sternguard knockoffs are the least unappealing primaris I've seen, but I'll stick with the Classic flavor to avoid the primaris comic book shape silhouette. Termis and Termi-Cap look good though. 10th already looks like it's gonna be as enjoyable as 9th was...

That "Taurus jellybean curves" comment is such a spot on description of the feeling I have for some of the primaris models. 

The sternguard models will look great with head and shoulder swaps.  If GW continues to update units rather than ugly replacements I'll buy em up.

12 minutes ago, Triszin said:

we are at a point with tacticus, that IMHO, GW should sell weapon upgrade kits ala HH2.0.

if Infernus squad didn't get a multipart kit (like Suppressors never did), would anyone care? if this is just what they are i can't imagine needing more than a half sprue of 10 flamers in an Interessor kit.

1 hour ago, Triszin said:

Pretty much, rather than the one-by-one monkey's paw Aspect Warriors refresh.

What's left? Grav and volkite? Gravitors and Deathray-ors.