10e Space Wolves Codex

Valerian

As of today we know that Space Wolves won’t be getting a codex within the 1st year of 10th edition, and that we’ll be playing with the initial Index for quite some time.

I actually think this is good for us, as it gives time for a proper range refresh into what is now being called “Primaris-scale.”  If we were going to receive the codex early in the edition, I’d be worried that pretty much all of our unique units would stay as they are.  However, if Primaris-scale Logan, Njal, Arjak, Ulrik, Wolf Guard Terminators, Long Fangs, and Redemptor-scale Bjorn and Murderfang are on the way, then I’m more than happy waiting a year or more into the edition for that.

Better to wait a year + into 10e for it, than to wait 3+ years to get these units in 11e.

IMG_4847.png

On the the plus side this news also confirms that we are split out as our own army again as DA was and there's no way DA gets split out and we don't. I liked only buying one book and hope it continues. Hopefully the index armies will stay viable as the codexes drop, then the wait won't be so bad.

I think the Wolf codex will be out before the end of 10th, but either way, it's going to be a while. Best get familiar with the index version of the army, it'll be our friend for over a year.

I'm a big fan of them releasing the roadmap like that, for certain armies like Death Guard or Space Wolves, I don't have to worry and I can just learn the index when it comes out.

Sounds like wolves won't be getting the new apothecary in gravis.

That sounds more like a Slayer apoth.

I.e. what our wolf priests are supposed to be.......

Edited by Triszin

12 hours ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Its fine with me unless it goes like 8th edition, where we waited for years to have a book released that was pretty clearly written at the start of the edition. 

There’s a chance this happens again to us. We endured before and survived. They might have written all the codexes before the edition.

I’m hopeful that the longer we wait the more likely to get a range refresh.

I thought the same thing with seeing the DA. There’s been some confusion I think on what the chapters actually get that differentiates them from other marines. (Aside from dataslates)

but I personally do not think the codex will be end of 10th. It just leaves too much money on the table for GW. That late codex honour always belongs to CSM for as long as I can remember.  Typically I wait and wait, CSM drops, it is usually a potent upgrade and  always markets the end of an edition.  Heck I remember after 7th they decided to destroy the Crimson Slaughter entirely (which crushed me as I was playing them at the time. ). 

SW is way too popular to wait too long. They have a lot of prime units awaiting the rubicon. I personally liked the idea of the Hoinds of Morkai but the were horribly executed. I believe there’s a few really good upgrade kits (think if the Black Templars upgrade box) that need to come out. 

Personally I have painted so many marine armies I am sick of first born and the struggle I have with Wolves is making the look appropriately “Wolfy” with Primaris models and while there are bits available, I still think it deserves the Templar treatment and would probably sell very well as long as they put effort into it. Like I said I don’t want to just add a pelt to my Desolators and call them Wolves. 

CSM we know is fairly early this edition though - as it will be in spring 2024 in the roadmap, at latest the 9th codex.

SW will be after that, their roadmap may slip at times, but it's not whole hog wrong.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

True, however I still believe there's too much money left on the table if GW waits too long. Honestly I do think it gives them time to do more with it. BA is another big one. The rumours had a lot of their models getting the Primaris treatment. 

14 minutes ago, Prot said:

True, however I still believe there's too much money left on the table if GW waits too long. Honestly I do think it gives them time to do more with it. BA is another big one. The rumours had a lot of their models getting the Primaris treatment. 

It depends on what the schedule is like next year. With the roadmap given and the codexes plotted up through Spring 2024, I don't see that changing.

So for us, we've got over a year before Codex: Space Wolves comes out, so the index is going to be with us for a good while.

I do wonder with this rollout if we're moving to a four year edition cycle from a three year. There's not enough information yet to really think about it, we'll have to see what the pace is like in 2024. If they hit five a quarter that year, they'll be through almost all of them by the end of the year.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Well to consider.

Da getting a rumor full range revamp this year/early next.

Ba are rumored to be getting a partial range revamp next year.

I don't think wolves will see a range revamp  until 2025 minimum.

Edited by Triszin

I'd expect we might see Njall updated sooner than later, although I personally think a new Wolf Lord would do a lot for us, especially if playing a Great Company with no named Wolf Lord or playing a successor chapter.

Updated TWC would be quite nice though, as would Wolf Guard Terminators. I just hope they avoid sculpting Ragnar's Great Company on all the shoulderpads, that'd be annoying as hell.

Recap of what we know so far

-Gladius detachment gives access to fall back + charge (new tactical doctrine) and advance + charge (new assault docrine)

-Transports like LR accept all marines (jump packs and wulfen and gravis and centurions)

-Assault ramps restored andgrant charge after disembarking 

Prediction...SW waaaagh type lists where we drive transports full of melee beatsticks to midfield and explode out turn 2 to decide the game

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/02/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-space-marines-2/

9 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

Recap of what we know so far

-Gladius detachment gives access to fall back + charge (new tactical doctrine) and advance + charge (new assault docrine)

-Transports like LR accept all marines (jump packs and wulfen and gravis and centurions)

-Assault ramps restored andgrant charge after disembarking 

Prediction...SW waaaagh type lists where we drive transports full of melee beatsticks to midfield and explode out turn 2 to decide the game

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/02/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-space-marines-2/

I agree. Being an old school player, I really do miss the old rhino rush days. The big question is…. How many points is this stuff…. And do exploding transports still kill inhabitants ( something I always hated in my marine lists). 

this does fair very well for Wolves, BT and BA though. I’d love to play a list with 2 impulsors and a LR/Repulsor. 

46 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

Later release may bring hope for more new models. If it is early 10th and the release date is close to big releases(marine, nids), then it would just be a 1-model update.

this is my hope as well.  There’s a lot of room for many marine codexes to get Primaris units, I’d love to see it.  

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

This is sounding very like 5th edition. I ran a mechanised Wolves list back then and it worked pretty well. Interesting to see how it adapts to 10th edition.

Yep from everything I've been seeing its 5th edition, but with the more streamlined base mechanics from 9th. Looking great so far. 

I've never really adapted my wolves past the old 5th edition list bar upscaling them, so have a good few rhino/razorbacks and a land raider that should be fairly happy.

The assault doctrine now being advance and charge for you whole army, but also in whatever turn you want it, is also very nice.

Im also in the camp of being happy to just play with our index for the first year. Makes sense DA being the first to concentrate on with the Lion being out I guess!

Edited by DanPesci

On 4/29/2023 at 3:14 PM, Valerian said:

As of today we know that Space Wolves won’t be getting a codex within the 1st year of 10th edition, and that we’ll be playing with the initial Index for quite some time.

I actually think this is good for us, as it gives time for a proper range refresh into what is now being called “Primaris-scale.”  If we were going to receive the codex early in the edition, I’d be worried that pretty much all of our unique units would stay as they are.  However, if Primaris-scale Logan, Njal, Arjak, Ulrik, Wolf Guard Terminators, Long Fangs, and Redemptor-scale Bjorn and Murderfang are on the way, then I’m more than happy waiting a year or more into the edition for that.

Better to wait a year + into 10e for it, than to wait 3+ years to get these units in 11e.

IMG_4847.png

The good news is the codex release roadmap is different from the faction preview order, so heres hoping we are next summer rather than near the end of the edition

I can see Nij and or Arjac as our new model(s)

1 hour ago, KrakenBorn said:

I'd very much welcome new Thunderwolf Calvary and a Bjorn Fellhanded/Space Wolf redemptor mixed kit.

I don't really see the new for new Grey Hunters or Blood claws when we can just paint assault intercessors with claw markings, although Wolfed up intercessors would save me a lot of effort with green stuff.

I think it could go a long way for the look and feel to have a few lads with the split MK X/flat leg piece from the Grey Hunter/Blood Claw kit, like they have reflected in the Ragnar model.

16 minutes ago, KrakenBorn said:

Oh yeah that definitely be nice; a kit with wolf pelts and with parts of old armour mixed into MK X would be fantastic.

Maybe I should of clarified I was talking from a selfish point of view; I own far too many intercessors already and I have NO desire to paint more:blush:. For now I can call my SW army fully painted while I crack on with my other 2 unpainted armies:biggrin:

My Space Wolves are all firstborn, and I'm just now getting cracking on some Wolfspear. So it'd be interesting to get some extra bling in them.