Did GW change their spray paint vendor?

I based a sanguinary guard model in chaos black spray. I was outside in my driveway. It went on smooth and dried perfect. I then gave it a coat of Retributor Gold spray and it dried fuzzy and looks horrible. Yes I shook the can for 2 minutes. Yes I sprayed from 12" away. 

I still had Dante to do. 

That was the first time I ever sprayed Retributor gold over a base of Chaos Black. Although the CB was dried, I wondered if that made it go on and dry like fuzzy alpaca crap? In the past I always just sprayed Retributor Gold and it always went on and dried perfectly.

I sprayed Dante with Retributor Gold. Dried like even worse fuzzy alpaca crap!

Good thing I had two full bottles of 91% isopropyl alcohol. They are both submerged in it now. I'll scrub off the crappy spray later.

I noticed the spray nozzle on the new can of retributor gold has a different nozzle than an old empty can I still had on my shelf.

Inexcusable. I've done this going on 10 years and many many many cans of GW spray. Its not user error.

The metallic paints will do that if the metallic pigments have settled to the bottom.

I know they've changed the spray nozzle, which I like the new one a lot better, but any of the metallic cans will do that if they haven't been properly mixed, even the older ones I have.

Basically it means you need to shake it more, possibly rotate it some, and maybe do some test sprays to get it all really mixed up.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Yeah, I've had issues with Leadbelcher Spray (weird finish where Washes don't work, like the surface repels the wash) and the same issue with Retributor Gold, both cans needed 5mins of shaking flipping the can from upright to upside down during the shaking.

You can also (carefully) warm the can up some, that can sometimes help. Don't overdo it or you'll have the bottom plate pop, and if you're lucky it'll just scare the :cuss: out of you. If you're unlucky, well, I hope you want whatever room its in the color of the spray. I'll often drop my cans of primer in a bowl of warm water, since they spend most of their days under the bed where its fairly cool, and I want to get them closer to the middle of their temperature range, but once I used *hot* water without thinking about it and had a can of army painter Plate Mail Metals bottom go from an innie to an outie. Kudos to the can, it didn't burst, but it did let out a horribly load pop sound and leap up into the air out of the bowl, and of course wouldn't stand up by itself anymore. But the paint was still good.

Yeah warming can help. What happens is it's basically a lot of propellant with the small amount of colored pigment being shot out of the can, with all the metallic part of it not mixed in. That's why it's dull and grainy.

This is why I’ve started using Vallejo brush on primer. It takes longer, but playing Russian Roulette with your models isn’t fun.

This is especially so if you live anywhere hot, or humid, or anywhere other than a perfect temperate climate for the spray to work exactly right.