Defeated by the perfidious Necrons!

ServoBadger

Having read the rumours about 10th (Land Speeders and boxnoughts going to Legends, units locked to what's in the box even more than they are now) I decided to take my Deathwatch out for what could be their final game as a legal army... and suffered the most hilariously one sided defeat I think I've ever suffered.

Allow me to explain...

First, the lists:

Spoiler

Deathwatch

Watch Master (Vigilance Incarnate, Tome of the Ectoclades)

Librarian (Jump Pack, Premorphic Resonance, Fortified with Contempt)

Proteus Kill Team (4 x SB/SS, 4 x Frag Cannon)

Proteus Kill Team (4 x SB/SS, 4 x Infernus HB)

Proteus Kill Team (4 x ML, 1 x Stalker, 3 x Cyclone ML)

Fortis Kill Team (5 x Auto BR, 5 x Assault Plasma Incinerator)

Vanguard Veterans (5 x Jump Pack, Heavy Thunder Hammer)

Veteran Bikers (5 x Power Sword)

Venerable Dreadnought (LC/ML)

Blackstar (LC/Stormstrikes/Hurricane Bolter/Auspex Array)

2 x Land Speeder Typhoon

Necrons (Novokh)

Catacomb Command Barge

Technomancer

Nightbringer

10 x Flayed Ones

2 x 6 Skorpekh Destroyers

6 x Wraiths

6 x Ophydian Destroyers

5 x Lokhurst Destroyers

2 x 3 Lokhurst Heavy Destroyers

4 x Scarabs

Plasmacytes etc.

We played Tempest of War using the Crucible of Battle deployment. I could go into the primary and secondary missions and the mission rule, but all you really need to know is that I went second.

The table was set up with a Skyshield in the middle just treated as terrain, and a good spread of ruins. I deployed my missile launcher squad in a ruin centrally located in my backfield and largely hugged cover with everything else.

In Necron turn one everything moved up as far as possible, dominating the three objectives in no man's land. The Nightbringer managed to perform Sky of Falling Stars twice and scattered some mortal wounds around, but then the Destroyers opened up and, appropriately enough, destroyed the missile launcher squad and the dread - I'd thought he was out of range, my mistake! Still, I've had worse...

On one flank I had the Wraiths and a unit of Skorpekhs. Watch Master rerolls and the Librarian's powers went on the HTH VV squad who jumped forward to intercept the Wraiths. The bikers, the Infernus Kill Team and the Land Speeders went for the Skorpekhs. Shooting at them achieved... nothing, which was a bit of a worry. On the other flank I had the second set of Skorpekhs, with the Ophydians further back. The Fortis Kill Team and the Frag Cannon Kill Team went for the Skorpekhs and I even threw in Overkill, but I didn't have enough to wipe the squad. I had to ignore the ranged Destroyers.

Already seeing the way this was going I charged the Vanguard Vets into the Wraiths and the Bikers into the Skorpekhs. The VVs wiped the Wraiths but the Skorpekhs interrupted and wiped the Bikers. Time for Necron turn 2...

Vanguard Veterans and Infernus Kill Team died to Destroyer and Command Barge shooting, then we were into assault. The first lot of Skorpekhs killed the Land Speeders, the second lot killed the Fortis Kill Team, the Ophydians killed the Frag Cannon Kill Team and the Nightbringer killed the Librarian.

Which just left the Watch Master on the table, so I conceded!

My opponent was a true gentleman and apologised for stomping me quite so flat, but the truth is that I was comprehensively outplayed!

It felt strangely fitting for my last Deathwatch game of 9th, and possibly my last ever Deathwatch game with a fully legal list...

Anyway, can anyone beat that for a humiliating defeat at the cold metal claws of the despised xenos

Edited by ServoBadger
Trying to work out spoiler tags