Who is the best Primarch?

Lion El Johnson seems to have a well balanced and rounded skillset. His Primarch novel even makes the point that he is the default template from which other Primarchs and Legions vary. He was hindered by his growing up alone on a Deathworld for the first 10 years of his life which left him with stunted social skills compared to many of his brothers. Had the Primarchs been raised on Terra as the Emperor planned, I think there is a good case for the Lion being "first among equals".

The question gives room for lots of answers depending how you intepret it. For example, who is best as a commander, who is the best fighter, who is the best leader, ...

Lorgar, Curze, Magnus, Angron, Leman Russ, Corax are in my estimation lesser commanders of an overall tactical scale (compared to other primarchs). 

I would argue, that Guilliman, Horus, the Lion, Dorn, Perturabo and Sanguinius are therefore a better choice, since they are either brilliant strategists or charismatic commanders.

Edited by Tolmeus

2 hours ago, Tolmeus said:

Lorgar, Curze, Magnus, Angron, Leman Russ, Corax are in my estimation lesser commanders of an overall tactical scale (compared to other primarchs). 

Don't underestimate Russ. Only the Dark Angels and Lunar Wolves had more compliances than the Space Wolves and that is in large part due to them being the first founded Legion and having the first found Primarch respectively. Russ played up the headstrong barbarian image because it was useful but was actually a very smart general.

Lorgar was slow because he kept stopping to build churches. Curze was hampered by his visions. Magnus was more interested in recovering lost lore and had a smaller legion. Angron had the nails, nuff said. Corax was effective but was found late in the Crusade and tended to be impatient.

2 hours ago, Tolmeus said:

I would argue, that Guilliman, Horus, the Lion, Dorn, Perturabo and Sanguinius are therefore a better choice, since they are either brilliant strategists or charismatic commanders.

Valid points although as noted, I think Russ is in the upper rankings. It is worth noting that Sanguinius definitely didn't regard himself as the best as he was painfully aware that his beautiful exterior hid a bloodthirsty darkness within.

Hug wise vulkan hands down.  Night out Russ, like it will be crazy but he will have my back and know how to get back from the isolated Norwegian fishing village we wind up in.  Flatmate G man, ok he makes allot of schedules but damn if he doesnt keep the house in order. Work mate Rogal Dorn, stoic enough to put up with my endless small talk and productive enough to cover my short fallings.  Brother in law Sanguinius, he will treat her right and if need be die for her and thats all i can ask really ( what he does at fight club is none of my bussiness). Moving assistance perturabo, he will grind threw it all, sure no one else showed up and its raining, but i told him he was a lifesaver and he never forgot the compliment.  Fashion advice Fulgrim, sure he can be mean but there is no arguing with the end result. Roadtrip buddy the Khan....like i dint even ask he just picked me up when  i was heading to the buss station.   IT support Ferrus, ok he called my set up idiotic and spent the entire time chewing me out for badly maintaining but it purs like a kitten when he is done.  Hide and seek partner Corax.  Halloween costume/decoration picker 'night hunter' (plus cute goth friends).  

Likely, numbers II and XI. They were so good at whatever they did that they had to be taken out.

Absent those two, and if the most formidable opponent is the one you know least about, then it is no contest. They (?) may be there, or they may not, and they are on your side, or not. Go figure.

I must say, I find the ‘which primarch is the best’ discussions even less valuable than the ‘which primarch would win in a fight’ discussion. There is no right answer. 

In universe The Emperor created the Primarchs to serve different purposes. Think of The Emperor as a very violent gardener and the Primarchs as his tools. No one would argue over whether a hedge trimmer is better or worse than a shovel. They both serve different purposes and see their value realized when put to the purposes for which they have been designed. The same is true of the Primarchs. 

Out of universe GW is never going to declare one primarch as superior to the rest because that would inevitably anger a large portion of the fan base.

On 5/2/2023 at 6:29 PM, Xin Ceithan said:

We all know how that sentence is supposed to end, don’t we? :ph34r:

Ooh, ooh - I know this one! Let me try:

I am...

Spoiler

...unable to hear you, over the sound of Horus losing and ending up dead, because he's a filthy traitor and he sucks?

Was I right?

57 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Ooh, ooh - I know this one! Let me try:

I am...

Hide contents

...unable to hear you, over the sound of Horus losing and ending up dead, because he's a filthy traitor and he sucks?

Was I right?

So sorry to learn of your deficiency.
I would like to lend you a hand - but am currently unable to remember where Rogal left his… :devil:

I chose The Khan because he was the first normal primarch to kill a Deamon primarch and I find him quite likable.  I appreciate his sensibilities/tactics which really to me is a sign that he could legitimately beat every Primarch including Horus. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to have a 1v1 with Daemon Fulgrim in 40k and id bet on either him or Vulcan returning because GW is big on the diversity bucks.

Guilliman feels like a guy you would want to be your boss or your dad/uncle but I think the Khan is legitimately a hero to admire and to learn from.

10 hours ago, Krelious said:

I chose The Khan because he was the first normal primarch to kill a Deamon primarch and I find him quite likable.  I appreciate his sensibilities/tactics which really to me is a sign that he could legitimately beat every Primarch including Horus. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to have a 1v1 with Daemon Fulgrim in 40k and id bet on either him or Vulcan returning because GW is big on the diversity bucks.

Guilliman feels like a guy you would want to be your boss or your dad/uncle but I think the Khan is legitimately a hero to admire and to learn from.

All quibbling aside, I can see (and agree to)your point(s) here - Wraith in particular made the Khan into a more rounded and relatable, likeable character.

But is „the best Primarch“ the one going off on his own  and leaving  half the Imperium wondering what he is up to ( during the early Crusade at least)? 

I tried to run this about 5 years a go. And I descended  into Anarchy very quickly. Congratulations you go further than I got.

My 2 cents. - From what i've read

"Best" In Universe - Horus

Most effective/Important over 10,000 years - Guilliman

Who generally held in highest esteem of their peers - Sanguinius

Who I'd most like to have my back - Russ

Best Story - Magnus the Red.

I'm going to stop there before they all get something.

An interesting topic. I have to admit I seem to play legions with the Primarchs I respect the most. 

I think over the last 20+ years I have to admit no Primarch has surprised  me as much as the Khan. I think it’s mostly Chris Wraights doing, but still the Primarch is extremely capable in all areas and maybe his lack of confidence comes from how they were used. 

speaking of which Perturabo is one of those that I think mad amazing potential but was a victim of a bad upbringing and manipulation.  

Russ is another that surprised me, but this may have been Abnetts fault. I remember the story where him and McNeil basically had to flip a coin on which one had to write the Wolves side of the Prospero story and eventually Abnett called for the Wolves. He went out, bought an old axe, put it in his desk and probably fleshed out the Wolves persona more than any other.  Yet still some writers have them written as farting drunks, but nothing could be further from the truth. ( the drunks part, they do fart a lot). Russ is deceptively clever and his care fir humanity is something only a few other Primarchs have. 

I think this conversation comes up a lot in the end and the death. And again Sanguinious comes up , but I feel like if someone didn’t tell me he’s the best Primarch every 5 minutes I wouldn’t know it otherwise. 

Guilliman is a great ruler, and builder. Probably a very good choice to help with the rebuild. 

The Lion I’ve always thought more of than his legion. The worst kept secret since “Vader is Luke’s father”. But perhaps we see him emerge now that we know all the wonky stuff that explains how fisted Caliban is (no spoilers but Vashtorr knew!)

was Horus the best? Or just arrogant and charismatic?  

wow I guess at this point I don’t know. I do know aside from Khan I think the End and the Death put the Salamander Primarch in a new light for me. 

I can’t decide… but some are extremely interesting in their imperfections.