Faction Focus: Tyranids

Lord Marshal

Chaos Space Marines tomorrow. I can't wait.

Shadow in the Warp only works once, but with how a failed battle shock works now, it could really change the battlefield. As it happens in the command phase, you can make decisions based on what failed or passed.

I'm a big fan of the Synapse rule, it makes things nice and easy and not just skipping the Morale phase:

WBYxi3MZArfSzgSU.jpg

I absolutely love this too, being able to potentially shake up the entire enemies' battle plan and their output:

jfrbhONhyDsEBCqZ.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more factions focuses!

More built in rerolls hahaha. Nice GW.

Edit: I'm serious. The dread they showed had a reroll. The most popular faction's rule is pick a unit and full rerolls. Both Tyranid units shown today have rerolls. Twin linked means more rerolls. I'm seeing more rerolls not less. Not that it's a bad thing, but is anyone else seeing alot of rerolls still or am I going crazy?

And lethality is down but rupture cannon is S18 -4AP and 2d6 damage? I'm assuming vehicles (and big vehicle like monsters) are going to be a lot of points. They better be. Those numbers are bonkers! I'm sure every faction is going to get the railgun treatment on a weapon or two, not trying to pick on tyranids.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

8 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I mean, if twinlinked melee weapons are gonna be a thing (and twinlink=reroll), then the swarmlord, if anyone, deserves to have it.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

1 minute ago, Valerian said:

Can someone explain Vanguard Predator to me?  That second sentence isn’t clicking.  

If the Genestealers are attacking a unit on an objective, they get to reroll wounds on all their attacks. If the unit there attacking isn't on the objective, they only get to reroll 1s to wound. 

Glimpse of how a Green Tide strat for Orks might works there also.

As Phandaal says - Battleshock looks like a big deal in 10th (and if not the Tyranids faction rules are a bit sad).

Edit: The 'anti loop hole' writing on the rules makes me laugh:

"If your Army Faction is TYRANIDS, while a TYRANIDS unit from your army is within 6" of one or more SYNAPSE models from your army, that unit is said to be within Synapse Range of your army. Each time a TYRANIDS unit from your army takes a Battle-shock test, if it is within Synapse Range of your army, take that test on 3D6 instead of 2D6."

Really wants to ensure you know its talking about 'your army' doesn't it :biggrin:

Edited by Burni

I'm liking this, and especially looking forward to the chaos rules tomorrow. 

The shadow in the warp ability is appropriately thematic, but if you can kill the enemy leaders they can't use it, a very nice mechanic. 

Stealers also, rerolling all to wound when in rnge of an objective. I mean, stealers should be scary though. 

Not too impressed with the shadow in the warp. I guess it's better than the current psyker only debuff. I guess being able to potentially flip every objective in the last turn is powerful.

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

If the Genestealers are attacking a unit on an objective, they get to reroll wounds on all their attacks. If the unit they’re attacking isn't on the objective, they only get to reroll 1s to wound. 

So that sentence is missing the word “all,” it looks like. 

17 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

I mean, if twinlinked melee weapons are gonna be a thing (and twinlink=reroll), then the swarmlord, if anyone, deserves to have it.

I agree, but the marine dreadnought had a reroll. Marines whole faction rule is rerolls. Both Tyranid models shown today have rerolls. Twin linked = rerolls. I'm seeing alot more rerolls, not less.

But yes, the 4 armed sword welding death bug deserves to be a blender. If my guys are to be cleaved in half, it would be an honor to be from the swarmlord haha. 

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

12 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Not too impressed with the shadow in the warp. I guess it's better than the current psyker only debuff. I guess being able to potentially flip every objective in the last turn is powerful.

Screamer Killer also has a battle shock ability, and the article implies more battle shock abilities for Tyranids. Even for armies with good leadership, that is a lot of chances to fail Battle Shock tests.

Nice to finally see more rules for Tyranids. Synapse and Shadow in the Warp look cool and love that it's seems very fluffy.

The datasheets of genestealers and Swarmlord using their current models doesn't surprise me, if they plan to give them more biomass for updates it would be very underwhelming to reveal it here (huffing unnatural amounts of copium that they get them).

The rupture cannon looks like a beast. Hopefully, the power creep isn't as big as last edition.

Nice to also get an strategem. Very nice way to represent the unending tide the Tyranids are supposed to be. GW made me incredibly happy when they finally decided to expand the Gaunt range from only two types.

The wait for all the new Tyranid models is at least one month away! I'm going to end up broke when GW finally releashes them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow is for CSM, and looking at this first two faction focus that means they will probably get two datasheets, their faction rule, a detachment and their corresponding stratagem.

I'm liking what I see here so far. Two wound genestealers plus retaining the scout move helps differentiate them from other troops (presumably), and the Swarmlord is properly intimidating. That CP increase can really hurt if it's chosen correctly. 

I'm a fan of synapse just being a boost to battleshock rather than an auto pass, helps keep things a bit more interesting. Swarm revival is always a classic as well.

On the whole, very excited to see the changes being made!

58 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Edit: I'm serious. The dread they showed had a reroll. The most popular faction's rule is pick a unit and full rerolls. Both Tyranid units shown today have rerolls. Twin linked means more rerolls. I'm seeing more rerolls not less. Not that it's a bad thing, but is anyone else seeing alot of rerolls still or am I going crazy?

And lethality is down but rupture cannon is S18 -4AP and 2d6 damage? I'm assuming vehicles (and big vehicle like monsters) are going to be a lot of points. They better be. Those numbers are bonkers! I'm sure every faction is going to get the railgun treatment on a weapon or two, not trying to pick on tyranids.

Yes, but the reroll we have seen in 10Th are diferente for the rerolls in 9Th (except for oath of omen)

There are special rules of the units, no something that are granted by heroes o stratagems. Thats means the cost of the unit reflect that capacity, and the units that don´t have rerolls can have any.

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I'm seeing more rerolls not less. Not that it's a bad thing, but is anyone else seeing alot of rerolls still or am I going crazy?

I mean they specifically called it out as something they wanted to pull in and have less off.

Concerning.

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Rupture Cannon seems to be nerfed actually. Its 9th ed. stats are S14, Heavy3, dmg d6+4. So it lost an attack and does swingier damage.