Faction Focus: Tyranids

Lord Marshal

i think both of these have niches. the barbgaunt's damage output is fine for a semi-chaff unit, but the movement penalty they inflict is huge. no matter what game you're playing, affecting your enemy's movement and positioning is huge. 

As long as the nuerogaunts are cheaper than termagaunts, i can see them being used. giving a prime/tyrant/nuerotyrant/etc. 11 ablative wounds and a bigger synapse footprint is definitely good. 

It seems that in 10th, cheap blast shooting weapons have even better efficiency than flamers against horde units, as they usually have much longer range than flamers. +4 attacks for each gun when targeting 20 models is attractive.

25 minutes ago, jimbo1701 said:

Hold on, so in theory nothing to stop you targetting 5 units at once with a single barbgaunt unit and slowing all of them down. 

Assuming units can still split fire in 10th, that looks to be correct. 

10 hours ago, MaximusTL said:

As long as the nuerogaunts are cheaper than termagaunts, i can see them being used. giving a prime/tyrant/nuerotyrant/etc. 11 ablative wounds and a bigger synapse footprint is definitely good. 

We don't know what the rules for big models joining units are fully yet. Normal sized Characters can join units with similar armour to themselves. Monsters don't look like they can join units. Guilliman gains the Lone Operative ability when near SM infantry. My guess is that small models like Gaunts won't be able to protect bigger beasties.

Tyrant Guard will probably have some sort of special rule to cover it since that is literally their MO.

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Assuming units can still split fire in 10th, that looks to be correct. 

indeed. That’s very powerful against melee armies if so. A couple of units of barbgaunts can effectively neuter your ability to get into melee for an extra turn with careful positioning given their short range. Most units have an effective charge range of 8-16 (presuming charge mechanic still the same) and this will reduce it to 6-12. 

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

We don't know what the rules for big models joining units are fully yet. Normal sized Characters can join units with similar armour to themselves. Monsters don't look like they can join units. Guilliman gains the Lone Operative ability when near SM infantry. My guess is that small models like Gaunts won't be able to protect bigger beasties.

Tyrant Guard will probably have some sort of special rule to cover it since that is literally their MO.

The Swarmlord and the SoB diorama both have the Leader ability though. So size and monster keyword at least dont matter wether something can lead units or not, and with the swarmlord being T10 sv2+ ... what type of tyranid unit has those stats thats not a single monster ?

edit: Though I can see Tyranids being an exception rather than a rule to what is standard when it comes to vastly different features for leaders and the units they lead.

Edited by TheMawr

3 hours ago, TheMawr said:

The Swarmlord and the SoB diorama both have the Leader ability though. So size and monster keyword at least dont matter wether something can lead units or not, and with the swarmlord being T10 sv2+ ... what type of tyranid unit has those stats thats not a single monster ?

edit: Though I can see Tyranids being an exception rather than a rule to what is standard when it comes to vastly different features for leaders and the units they lead.

Tyrant guard presumably 

On 5/13/2023 at 7:52 AM, jimbo1701 said:

Hold on, so in theory nothing to stop you targetting 5 units at once with a single barbgaunt unit and slowing all of them down. 

Yea, this seems the most potentially broken thing we've seen so far, depending on the point cost: -2M and -2" advance is effectively -4 movement, an advancing unit has a 1/3 chance of gaining zero movement from the advance, and an advance and charging banshee say goes from a 19" reliable threat range to 13", which is huge, especially when you can potentially hit a different unit with each barbgaunt. 

I think it’s safe to assume units can split fire. Otherwise special and heavy weapons in a squad are forced to shoot at stuff they might be inefficient against (and vice versa).

But, we have had editions where that was a thing, so not without precedent.

Edited by Zoatibix

Wouldn't it make more sense that splitting fire was only allowed for units that contained different weapon types within it? Thus locking the Barbgaunts to firing at the same unit but allowing a Devastator/havoc squad/etc to use their different weapons against different targets?

11 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Wouldn't it make more sense that splitting fire was only allowed for units that contained different weapon types within it? Thus locking the Barbgaunts to firing at the same unit but allowing a Devastator/havoc squad/etc to use their different weapons against different targets?

this is what id expect. this unit being a gaunt could have a poor defensive profile so until we see it all in with points ill reserve judgement on their usability before id say broken...

My guess/hope is that the split fire would be based on weapon. I.e. if the havocs have 4 different heavies, they can target 4 different enemy units, but if they all have the same weapon, they can only fire on the same target.

I have no good reason to expect that to be the case, in fairness. Not looking forward to these bug bastards removing my blood blessing +2” bonus turn 1. :P

Edited by Khornestar

if they are they would surely be the primary ranged target and being gaunts... not take much to kill them really. in current edition how does split fire work? do not the same weapons have to go into the same target? honestly cant see these spreading fire around even as base line nids that may well have extra targeting beasts built in... 

K72Y9K9LSPC17SHk.jpg.ff1e952004885c42c0a0c755d33c3c47.jpg

WtHmkOlb5aWmrXgC.thumb.jpg.dbd63379223cbe4a40f28da31037b1eb.jpg

Each Neurotyrant acts as a potent Synaptic Relay, enabling two units within 12” to act as if they are within Synapse Range until the start of your next Command phase, no matter where they end up. Your deadliest melee units can stretch their legs and hunt down troublesome enemies.**

** You even get two Neuroloids to use as tokens for this ability, snazzy!

Edited by Bradeh

2 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Hmm so their is benefit to taking more than one eh? Interesting.

That says that if 1 or more are on the battlefield then the enemy gets -1 to the test not -1 per nuerotyrant.