Faction Focus: Tyranids

Lord Marshal

8 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Didn't really expect it to, to be fair. They've got the Screamer-Killer for the powerhouse :biggrin: 

Technically I think the implication is that the Neurotyrant is a support unit (like the Neurogaunts). The Tyranid Prime is the "leader". Also on that subject, its been said that the Prime can only join Gargoyles and Tyranid Warrior units, but I can't seem to find his datasheet anywhere?

Goonhammer did a review, but they are not allowed posting full pictures, so only words description.

Plus I'd imagine it might only be temporary till the codex drops in a few months time.

So, Valrak dropped a new rumour stating that the Norn Emissary might share a kit with a Norn Assimilator...what ever the hell that one is.

17 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Maybe, or maybe they are in the middle of updating their range on the website.

The Termagaunts are missing from the range entirely. I imagine they may well be Battleline.

They are moving to 28mm bases right? so reboxing probs:ermm:

On 6/4/2023 at 10:31 AM, Tokugawa said:

Neurotyant is not really a "tyrant". 

mmexport1685870940682.jpg

These are very odd, the stats on the instructions are way off in comparison to the rules released by GW. Either they've had these boxes for absolutely ages or they've rebalanced units pretty late in the game? Leadership especially on these is massively different

image.png.9f8c345192951cac4b7a5ab54826da2a.png

image.png.8da5a1e9d53eec3d8de61ad8b8cdf16d.png

On the point about Battleline, Termagants are definitely missing Battleline looking at their Datasheet:

image.png.0bf4ca3252182a71c54bb1185ff20270.png

Could this be to try to curb potential Gant carpet lists? It would limit you to a max of 3 units of 20 to a list

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

15 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

These are very odd, the stats on the instructions are way off in comparison to the rules released by GW.

Probably to keep balance in the "combat patrols" that each set will be able to make. Two big tough things for the nids might be oppressive.

Is it me or would the wings on the prime fit onto either upper or lower slots for the limbs when looking on the sprues? Something about the pose bugs me (pun intended) so I’d like to try it out. The old shrikes had that arrangement and looked better imo. 

3 hours ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

These are very odd, the stats on the instructions are way off in comparison to the rules released by GW. Either they've had these boxes for absolutely ages or they've rebalanced units pretty late in the game? Leadership especially on these is massively different

image.png.9f8c345192951cac4b7a5ab54826da2a.png

image.png.8da5a1e9d53eec3d8de61ad8b8cdf16d.png

On the point about Battleline, Termagants are definitely missing Battleline looking at their Datasheet:

image.png.0bf4ca3252182a71c54bb1185ff20270.png

Could this be to try to curb potential Gant carpet lists? It would limit you to a max of 3 units of 20 to a list

So there's a pretty simple explanation to this one, I think. The Tyranid Codex is coming very early in 10th and GW has confirmed index datasheets will be superceded by Codexes 

Since the Index rules will be out of date very quickly but those instructions will be available throughout 10th, it's most likely those are the Codex statlines. 

50 minutes ago, Shed Some Skin said:

So there's a pretty simple explanation to this one, I think. The Tyranid Codex is coming very early in 10th and GW has confirmed index datasheets will be superceded by Codexes 

Since the Index rules will be out of date very quickly but those instructions will be available throughout 10th, it's most likely those are the Codex statlines. 

With a T drop from 8 to 5? Nah. This is GW being sloppy with the instruction datasheets, as always.

Also, the little dudes have a statline and they're tokens in 10th. It's much more likely that because of the staggered publishing schedule these are rules for 9th, in case the models got put into something else than 10th's release box, or released separately.

Edited by Kastor Krieg

19 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

With a T drop from 8 to 5? Nah. This is GW being sloppy with the instruction datasheets, as always.

Also, the little dudes have a statline and they're tokens in 10th. It's much more likely that because of the staggered publishing schedule these are rules for 9th, in case the models got put into something else than 10th's release box, or released separately.

They're tokens in the index rules. Which will only be valid for a couple of months. There's every chance that changes for the Codex. 

It always felt super weird to me they'd bother making those models to go with the Neurotyrant and then just have them be tokens. 

The toughness thing could be due to special rules that we can't see on the build instructions, since it's a limited profile. Maybe it has - 1 to wound rolls as long as the Neuroloids are alive and the toughness has been dialled down to compensate. We just don't know how it'll work in the Codex so the isolated statline is only half the story. 

Also the fact that the Neurogaunt leader beasts have no distinct rules in the Index sheets is very weird. I think it's most likely that the Index rules were half assed since they know they wouldn't be an issue for very long 

At the end of the day, obviously I can't be 100% sure of what I'm saying.  But it won't be too long til we find out.

Edited by Shed Some Skin
Added a paragraph

Actually I thought it made sense for the little guys to be tokens to follow on with what happened to the Tau Drones. There was another example I came across but now I can't remember what it was.

While I do expect index rules to change, i suspect they won't change to instruction rules that may not even be the same from Leviathan to individual boxes.

As you say though we'll find out soon enough, especially since I have a sneaking suspicion we'll have a leak of the codex before it drops (same with the space marine one)

28 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

It's much more likely that because of the staggered publishing schedule these are rules for 9th, in case the models got put into something else than 10th's release box, or released separately.

Seeing as the entire 10th ed release is based around tyranids, and these models in particular, I think we can say with certainty that these new nids were not meant to be released in 9th. 

My guess is that the stats in the Leviathan booklet were cobbled together to play games using only what's in the box. Hence some drastic rebalancing compared with the index and codex versions. By the way I'd be curious to see a battle report using those rules if any streamers are reading. I promise to like and subscribe.

Most people will download the index datasheets then move to the codex in due course, ignoring the booklet rules entirely, so it hardly matters to us nerds. But I suspect that GW thought about how this package works for people who have literally only the contents of the Leviathan box to work with.

1 hour ago, ZeroWolf said:

Actually I thought it made sense for the little guys to be tokens to follow on with what happened to the Tau Drones. There was another example I came across but now I can't remember what it was.

While I do expect index rules to change, i suspect they won't change to instruction rules that may not even be the same from Leviathan to individual boxes.

As you say though we'll find out soon enough, especially since I have a sneaking suspicion we'll have a leak of the codex before it drops (same with the space marine one)

The teleport homer from the Terminators kit. You get the model in Leviathan and it actually has rules on the datasheet and it's just a token.