Poseability of Primaris Models?

Go to solution Solved by Valkyrion,

The release of the Lion and all the hubbub surrounding 10th, along with some developments at home, have me picking up my glue and brushes for the first time in... well, a while.  I bought the Elite Edition Starter Set, but then parenthood and a move and a lot of other stuff got in the way of getting any playing or much modeling in.

The only experience I have with modeling Primaris so far are the easy-assembly Assault Intercessors out of that box.  My question (finally) is: are the multi-part kits any more poseable, or are the arm positions designed to be pretty fixed in place?  Assault Intercessors come to mind first, but I'm asking in general across the Primaris range.

• Solution

The answer is - it depends...

When you buy a multipart kit, there are usually 2-4 leg parts (left and right, and sometimes the shins), and 2 torso parts, and those are all designed to go together. Lets call this Body A.

Then you have a right arm, left arm and gun set up. Lets call this Gun A.

All Body A parts have to be together, and all Gun A parts must be together, but Body A does not always need to be assembled with Gun A.  Sometimes it will look odd with the wrong pairing, but usually Body A could go with gun E, and gun C could go with body D.

So, if you've got the Indomitus Assault Squad you could buy an Intercessor Squad and put Intercessor Gun A on an Assault Marine to make it look like a running Intercessor, or you could put the assault marine weapons on an intercessor and make it look like a standing assault intercessor no problem.  I haven't tried, but you'd probably struggle mixing the Gravis stuff with non Gravis stuff, but could probably make Inceptors with Multi Meltas if you were so inclined.

This is how GW have done the HH mkVI tacticals, Intercessors and probably dozens of others - there are only 5 bodies, and 5 gun arm combinations, so technically there are are (5*5) 25 possible combinations from any one sprue of 5, but a squad of 20 repeats very quickly!

But don't forget that it's only plastic, so if there's a connector nubbin in the way, just knife it off and glue over it and it will hold just fine. 

With a little trimming the Phobos and Tacticus bodies should all work with the same types of arms 

So Intercessors, Assault Intercessors, Hellblasters even the new Desolators should all provide you with bodies and arms that can be mixed around so your squads don't all look the same. 

A lot of the heads have a kite shaped peg so they fit in at the "correct" angle, but again you can snip this off and that frees them up to be swapped around too. 

Rik

you can also mix and match bits from monopose with other bits to create some fun poses. e.g.

IMG_2730.thumb.JPG.4d1706ee14f1a861bde8f7adc0aafb9d.JPG

uses the body of an intercessor from dark imperium, head from a lieutenant, arm from intercessor kit, firstborn assault marine arm with different blade on the sword.

Pretty poseable, as long as you have the imagination to kitbash!

The pose variation won't be just rotating the waist as with the older models, but mixing and matching arms and heads, as well as the dozens of spares you get on primaris kits, you can make infinite combinations of models. 

large.IMG20221231134843.jpg.c52ebb8955832414f7890c098c87ae2d.jpg

This guy and his unit are assault intercessor bodies with shooty intercessor arms, with a few other bits from various kits - rest of the squad in my painting log.