Sisters in 10th?

10th ed Faction Focus articles have started- Marines Yesterday, Nids today, Chaos tomorrow...

And there's a lot of hype, excitement and speculation... So I figured I'd get a post in before the sisters FF article to see what people are thinking and how we're feeling.

Acts of Faith are pretty much guaranteed to be our faction ability... Though how they will work is unknown, and I've got to say, it's cause for concern. GW's track record on getting AoF right is mixed. It's also worth noting that it looks like Deny the Witch is gone, though there are rumours of a different mechanism to indicate psychic resistance.

Back in the Witch Hunter days, AoF were a set of powers- specific effects that could be created, and any unit with AoF could choose any of the powers in that list to use. I still think this might have been the high watermark for AoF- I've enjoyed Miracle Dice, don't get me wrong... But the effect of using Miracle Dice didn't create a special effect, it just made you better at doing normal things that you'd be attempting to do even if you had no dice in the pool. Shifting back to actual powers could be cool.

I agree, that is a way more interesting mechanic than miracle dice. Not that I don't enjoy miracle dice, but what you've described sounds more fun.

Also, if the pattern holds, I'd say we're looking at the 22nd for the faction article. Just a hunch.

So I'm very worried about the state of sisters anti tank for 10th:unsure:

MM are gonna be s9, but anything decent is going to be t10 or higher, which means are you realistically going to take weapons that are expensive and going to only wound tanks on 5s:ermm:

I would have liked melta to wound vehicle keyword on 3s and that would have been a suitable fix:yes:

Now that basic battle sisters can be ignored, it will prob see them relegated to shelves unless they are improved, basic bolters have been trash for some time now:cry:

Obviously we'll have to wait and see, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Sisters will have bespoke Melta weapons with a slightly improved profile to compensate for their small pool of ranged anti-tank options. A big part of weapon design in 10th is that weapons don't need to be consistent cross-faction anymore, with new variants being added even within the same faction, so there's no reason Melta being a bit inadequate for Marines means it has to be the same for Sisters.

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

Like we saw with Storm Bolters and Flamers, there could be a "Ministorum Melta" with more offensive punch.

I've also noticed a trend that many of the most dangerous anti-tank weaponry exist on tanks themselves, so we could see better sources of such weaponry on Exorcists and Castigators as well. Nothing quite like the Repulsor Executioner's laser destroyer is expected, or even needed, of course.

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

Now that basic battle sisters can be ignored, it will prob see them relegated to shelves unless they are improved, basic bolters have been trash for some time now:cry:

I wonder what their unit ability will be. We just saw Chaos Legionaries take Veteran of the Long War into 10th edition as a data sheet ability, so I wonder if we'll see Defenders of the Faith be the one for BSS.

I could see Holy Trinity becoming a Battle Sister datasheet ability. 

I'm not sure what they'll give us for Miracle Dice or Acts of Faith army ability. Free Reroll per unit seems like a cop out. Maybe the ability to roll a dice up or down per phase per unit? 

At one point didn't every unit have its own unique AoF? Can't remember if that was an official or fandex thing. I can see the army ability being the accumulation of faith points, with those points being su d to activate unique acts of faith on every unit data card.

20 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

MM are gonna be s9, but anything decent is going to be t10 or higher, which means are you realistically going to take weapons that are expensive and going to only wound tanks on 5s:ermm:

I would have liked melta to wound vehicle keyword on 3s and that would have been a suitable fix:yes:

In addition multimelters seem to be 18'' now. Quite concerning, as our squishy units might have to get even closer to the enemy.

I am exited to see what 10th has in store for us though. I Hope the Exorcists get properly scary again. 

9 hours ago, sitnam said:

At one point didn't every unit have its own unique AoF? Can't remember if that was an official or fandex thing. I can see the army ability being the accumulation of faith points, with those points being su d to activate unique acts of faith on every unit data card.

Yep. And that was the edition I hated most- I think it was the one that made me take my break from 40k.

In my view of Sisters, Faith is so integral to the army that no unit or subfaction should have restrictions on how they can use it. I absolutely fear this is what GW has in mind for us.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

I think we'll be able to get something close to our current special rules through a combination of the army rules and our detachment rule, like how space marines have their doctrines as a gladius detachment rule. 

Castigator cannon is set as "better battle cannon" previously, so it could receive a better profile than battle cannon, e.g. d6+3 attacks S11 ap-2 dmg3. 

It is also naturally to add "anti vehicle 3+(or4+)" abilities after your buzz saw type weapons.

I hope AoF goes back to less dice counting and more of Army wide or unit specific special rule.