Special and generic characters: Any Priority in RoW?

Go to solution Solved by SkimaskMohawk,

Yesterday, I was talking in a group and one member pointed that a special character (for example, Abaddon) must be the warlord of an army before a similar but generic character (generic SoH Praetor), using their RoW instead any other granted to de generic on, if both are in the same list.

I know there are some specific cases when that's true, but this person said that priority applies always.

I can't find in the books references of that rule. It's that true or a misunderstanding?

From my understanding, the character must that must be a warlord (using the Abbadon example as I just built a list with him in) doesn't always lock in your RoW. The only requirement that I can see for RoW is for you to have a Delegatus/Preator/Character that unlocks RoWs, to have them available, but none actively force you to take a specific RoW as a hard 'always' rule (Speaking from SoH there), but from what discussions I've had that seems to be the case.

I can understand Warlord traits being locked to a character, but RoWs being automatically applied because you take X character would really take away options and be quite frustrating at the list building level.

• Solution

No....

Only primarchs are blanket compelled to be warlords among the special characters.

The most likely thing was a misunderstanding of the rules for warlord, which talks about it being a Character and HQ choice first, and then defaulting to any other model. They probably misconstrued the character subtype with the term special character.