Help with building Eldar army

SyNidus

Hey guys!

I went and did it - I bought myself a bunch of eldar models for fairly cheap and now i need help deciding what to keep and what to sell.

The bundle of Eldar i got is as follows:

2x Warwalkers

1x Falcon

1x Farseer on Jetbike
3x Shroudrunners

5x Rangers

1x Autarch (with Warp Spider teleporter)

9x Dire Avengers

20x Guardians

5x Wraithguard

6x Windriders

2x Foot Farseers

1x Vyper

1x Wraithlord

With this in mind, I'm split regarding what style of Eldar I want to build.

On one hand, I like the Alaitoc craftworld for the blue colour scheme and it's closeness to outcast path.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of Corsairs (but honestly can't be too arsed to do much conversion/kitbashing).

Might even consider Ulthwé because the Black Guardians are cool. I also like the Psychic shenanigans and have thought of using Hemlocks.

Playstyle-wise, I've always been partial towards fast, mobile, elite armies that hit hard. In my mind, I think of Mech Eldar of 5th Ed. That being said, I'm not entirely sure how Eldar play in this ed, nor do I have any clue how they will play next ed. But I know that I don't like horde/footslogger style armies.

Conclusion

So...which way should I go? 

What should I keep and what should I sell?

What else do I need to pick up?

Personally I would not sell any of it yet. 10th edition is coming in 6 weeks and we do not really know what is going to be good or not yet. It looks like that list contains a mix of infantry, speed and heavier firepower. The only area it does not look to be so strong in is melee but this is not necessarily a problem. I would not rush out to buy Banshees just yet as it looks like you have plenty of models to be painting already.

Speaking of painting, one thing GW has emphasized is that army rules will no longer be linked to colour scheme. Saim Hann may be traditionally associated with biker armies but any Craftworld can field any style of army. In short, pick the colour scheme you like best and/or the fluff that appeals to you most.

We don't know how 10th edition will play yet but we have seen lots of hints on WarCom that suggest vehicles are going to be getting improved compared to 8th/9th edition. If that is true then a mechanised force may well be a competitive option. We have already seen the rules for the Falcons and they provide buffs to a Transported unit if they shoot at the same target on the turn they disembark. Loading up Falcons with some Fire Dragons has always been a solid option and looks like it might be even better in 10th edition.

warhammer-40k-10th-edition-transports-ra

8 hours ago, SyNidus said:

What should I keep and what should I sell?

What else do I need to pick up?

If you plan on maintaining a collection of the most "useful" items, that is going to get very expensive with every update: core, codex or points. However, there does it to a point where an army gets so big it is worth downsizing. You don't need a 40,000 point army to play 40k ;). Though there are those that have that. If you buy what's effective, that's what you will eventually end up with.

I'd suggest selling anything you wouldn't mind re-buying. For a number of reasons outside of it's unit profile. The models, have been updated, your painting has improved considerably and it shows and so on.