Card Packs?

Go to solution Solved by Sherrypie,

I see that a bunch of card packs are up for preorder today, however from my limited knowledge of the game I can’t work out if these are just a convenience or if they containing stuff not in the books.

The Open War pack I asume is much like the Open War Pack for 40k in where it has ways to genrate aditional mission bejond the ones in the book.

It is the stratagem packs I am unsure about.

If it helps I have the Rulebook from the second starter box, Loyalist Legions, the Campaign Compendium that just came out and the Math Play mini book.

• Solution

The stratagem packs are merely printing the pre-errata versions of what was in the books, ie. nothing special. Especially now that the knight specific info was also collated into a pdf on the WarCom site.

The Engine War deck, though, is its own thing for mission generation which is distinct from any books. Very fun, too. The books do of course allow you to run a similar setup, but with somewhat different details. The deck contains primary victory conditions, secondary objectives, deployment maps, planetary effects and battlefield effects. Not for matched play games, but if you don't mind the occasional game in a war-torn urban hellscape that's on fire and crumbling in an earthquake while tormented souls play havoc with your command and control, the deck is great.

Edited by Sherrypie

As Sherrypie says, the open war deck is great. It's been somewhat superseded by the Matched Play book for mission generation in my opinion. The two work in a similar way, with random primary and secondary missions. The matched play missions are a bit fairer but the open war one has all sorts of weird game effects you can use if you like.

I like having the stratagem cards. It's true they aren't really up to date but it lets me have a hand with all my strats in it, which I like. It almost certainly isn't worth the cost though.

If AT becomes Epic HH in the very near future these may become redundant. 

Whilst I love spending monies on this game I'm now in stasis for anything rules related.

But if it's going to be a while away these might be worth a look, especially the OEW cards as mentioned above.

17 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

If AT becomes Epic HH in the very near future these may become redundant. 

Whilst I love spending monies on this game I'm now in stasis for anything rules related.

But if it's going to be a while away these might be worth a look, especially the OEW cards as mentioned above.

I’m personally not overly pessimistic about the future of AT, there might be other titans and (hopefully corrupted) knights released for epic, which they could then easily release AT rules for too. Plus it’s such a great game, even if this is all we’re getting, I’d still be able to find people to play against.

But, irrespective of how much life there still is in AT, I’d say the Strategem cards are just quality of life improvements and not essential. The Matched Play guide has made the OEW cards less of an essential but they’re still really good, and broaden the games you can play, I highly recommend them.