Something I haven't done in quite a while... Paint Green!

Prot

So for those who don't know, this used to be my original hang out waaaay back in the day. And I honestly can't tell you how long it's been since I tried slapping some paint on the mighty first legion. 

A few friends (local and abroad) have been prodding me to try them again. I thought I would try to just formulate a green colour base process I liked. I thought the Heavy Intercessor would be the perfect model to try, and to be honest my Wolves (boo, hiss) will never use them so I thought why not try...

image.thumb.jpeg.71c3f8fa115e6ee1de64abbdf7f6931b.jpeg

After a few tries, I settled on this green blend. I didn't want too much desaturation in the brighter colours, but felt the model should be quite dark in areas.

image.thumb.jpeg.b9615b6bc0f7314d5c8c4b6b003cf31e.jpeg

I decided to try some Infiltrators. Keeping with lots of colour, I stole a page out of my Space Wolves project and used purple hues to play down the shadows while using Verdigris/ice yellows to bring up the top surfaces. I was actually pretty happy with this after some tweaking... enough so I decided to finish a squad!

IMG_48341.thumb.JPG.9e72b2395a0620c2160d7448051bb28d.JPG

I just did not want them any darker because in my initial tests, I felt I lost too much volume on the models and settled with this look.

IMG_48351.thumb.JPG.afbee3649ea99d87f6ec98164a9cecba.JPG

It was a fun, week long project from experimental models to finished squad. I didn't spend too much time on any one area and I think it has a blend of time and effort with 'shortcuts' to get an army done in a reasonable amount of time. 

Looking great! Infiltrators look really good in the Dark Angels color scheme.

Only minor thing you might tweak, and it could just be from the camera, is that the zenithal/yellow hue seems really strong on the feet, which kind of draws the attention that way more than I think you'd want.

Thank you both. I did struggle with the base scheme and although the darker models are probably a bit more accurate, they just got lost on the table. I really do think this is exaggerated by the strong light. It was a fun project nonetheless. It's just nice to try something very different for an experiment.

2 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Looking great! Infiltrators look really good in the Dark Angels color scheme.

Only minor thing you might tweak, and it could just be from the camera, is that the zenithal/yellow hue seems really strong on the feet, which kind of draws the attention that way more than I think you'd want.

What is on the feet is diluted mud, and a bit of Vallejo pigment. It appears that weathering combo is causing a brightness to the area perhaps? (This happens to some of my other armies as well.)

Welcome Back Brother.

+May your stay at the Rock be dutiful and honourable as befits a Son of the Lion. 

Due to your extended absence and time spent in the Chaos Forums, this causes concerns about a risk of corruption.

Please present yourself to the kind and loving Interrogators and Librarians in Cell 42. There you will find a cuppa tea, biscuits and a wonderful mind scrub.+

Not a bad painting effort so far too :thumbsup:

Thanks. The taint is definitely going to be an issue. Not sure I can be wholly cleansed of it, or if it's going to be like that ex girlfriend that won't give your housekeys back..... Let's hope the Interrogators can beat it out of me!

On that note, I'm reading War of Secrets to stay motivated for some of the project. I wanted to read something with some Primaris involvement because I plan on focusing much of the army on the primaris line. Though to be honest we'll see how far I get. I have more than one project that kind of starts to stall out at about 500 points. 

2 hours ago, jaxom said:

Nice! Reminds me of the color scheme of the Dark Angels in the Will of Iron comic series.

image.png.e589e4707f17d3adb79e5b9370ffce4f.png

Thank you. Yup, I can see that. I liked to add a bit of colour, yellow hues, etc.  

I'm going to start work on the Heavy Intercessors hoping they have a suitable role in the 1st.

My 'secret sauce' to bring the tone down, and colder is Cholia Greenshade. I'll try playing with the ratio's a bit more, but I am okay with how things are going so far. I've just learned it's inevitable that the larger an army gets, the more the recipe can change too... I've just accepted that fact. :)

10 hours ago, Prot said:

What is on the feet is diluted mud, and a bit of Vallejo pigment. It appears that weathering combo is causing a brightness to the area perhaps? (This happens to some of my other armies as well.)

I think it just adds a yellow hue to it, especially if it's sand pigment. It could very well be that + strong lighting really does it in a camera, but in normal room lighting you'd never notice.

26 minutes ago, Chaplain Lucifer said:

They are a little bit too light for my taste but since they so nicely painted I forgive you...:P

Thank you. I hear folks around here aren't the most forgiving, so I appreciate that. :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...