Tech Marine helmet colour

Sorry folks, quick Q.

Troops have red helmets, close have yellow, heavy have blue andy vets and captains have gold.  What colour helmet do tech marines have?  As an HQ do they have gold also?  I've never had a Tech Marine, so no idea.

I don't follow the codex colours to the letter (knee pads and symbols I don't do) but I have the helmet colours as above.

Most images I have searched for online show it as red??

Edited by happyslugger

Yes, red is the standard color for Techmarines in all Chapters. In some Chapters, some Techmarines might include different colors on their armor, often those of the Chapter. In a Chapter like the Blood Angels where red is the standard color, however, you're far more likely to see all red Techmarines.

image.png.a87637a07152edaebd55e87f86ffcefe.png

image.png.0b091faed1a3eba24155a1adbf63a239.png

My paint scheme is:

Spray mephiston red primer.  Base with mephiston red.  Wash with C.Crimson. Then a thin layer of mephiston red again, leaving the recess (as best I can) followed by some edge highlighting with evil sons and wild rider.

Vehicles I swap C.Crimsom for Nuln Oil.

What would you suggest for the different red @Blindhamster?

I'm not a very good painter but I try. 

Edited by happyslugger

This is an example of my scheme.

Like I said, not the greatest painter. They are okay but I struggle with ideas and then after watching a video or seeing an example to copy I don't get anywhere near the finish lol.

I have old skool Khorne red and wazdakka, so could go that route?

PXL_20230504_132132428.jpg

Edited by happyslugger

13 minutes ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

I use Khorne Red for my techmarines as their armor & helm colors.

I also use the Khorne red base/layer tree for anything ad mech (Techmarines, servitor armour) to differentiate it from Blood Angel armour which I always do Mephiston red based.

3 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

as others say, for techmarines, I'd start with khorne red and work up, instead of mephiston red.

incidentally, official blood angels armour is 50:50 mephiston red and evil sunz scarlet.

I didn't know that.

Well mine are the red they are and that will have to do. They can be slightly dirtier blood angels who haven't cleaned their armour recently.

I will go down the Khorne red route for the tech marine following the responses.  Thanks folks. 

Edited by happyslugger

I use khorne red for the base on my Blood Angels in general, highlighted with Wazdakka Red and further highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet. It ends up looking quite nice. 

It also looks a little darker than yours, if that's what you're going for. 

53EBA166-B3F9-432E-BA84-A4A09CED2A1F.jpeg

Edited by Paladin777

I'm happy with my colours although wish I could paint better lol.

I will go for something darker for the tech marine but maybe give him a blue shoulder pad or something, just to break it up a bit, I will see.  I'm not worried about them fitting the GW / Codex to the letter as things change over time anyway.  I will no doubt proxy these in games also as the Genesis Chapter and my son will borrow units and stick them in his UMs against me at times.

Edited by happyslugger

My most recent techmarine was done with mechanicum red (shows how long ago that was), but with a more standard shoulderpad colour to differentiate the chapter colour from the armour. That being said, my other 3 are all just painted the same reds as my line troops armour. The cog-toothed axe and servo arm usually makes them stand out enough.

20230424_235722.thumb.jpg.776004ec3785e91a7edf993a4536f27e.jpg

Edited by Leonaides

• 2 weeks later...

Since both Blood Angels and Techmarines have red as their default colour, you could vary the red – perhaps a more Martian orange-tinged red to make the techmarine stand out? Otherwise – as in my example here and those of the fraters above – you can simply use the same red as the rest of the army, and rely on the details to make the figure 'read' as a Techmarine. Even relatively unadorned examples, like mine below, will look like a techmarine with a few painted details like the Opus Machina symbol of the Cult Mechanicus, and perhaps some hazard stripes or similar.

f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...