Mini Airbrush - Thoughts / Opinions

Quick disclaimer......I'm not looking into getting good quality airbrush for all my painting needs, as I don't have the space for one amongst other reasons.

I'm seeking the advise of the community as you have steered me in the right direct before with brushes, wet pallets etc in the past.

So this product Mini Airbrush With Compact Compressor - Hobbyist Edition – Neat and Handy has been appearing in my FB feed for a number of months now. After ignoring it, I decided to look at it and I thought this might be useful. Main reason, like many I currently use rattle cans for my priming (grey / black). I've in the last year or so started zenithal prime on models for use with "contrast paints" again with rattle cans, Again like many, I live a part of the world (SW UK) were the atmospheric conditions for rattle can use are optimal for at best 2-3 months a year. So I have to shoe horn priming into this time.

So this particular product caught my eye, as its relatively inexpensive and quiet. So I could in theory perform priming / zenithal priming / and even move to basecoating in the house, which would help speed up my painting (possible). I'm sceptical about reviews of products on web, particular when they are all fantastic. Which is the case for this particular product. 

Have any of the fraters come across this or have it? Do you rate it? Or is there a similar product out there that I should look at instead of this.

Many Thanks in advance,

I've never seen one of those, so can't comment on that particular model. One of my colleagues had (what I think was a) "not-Iwata" with a little non-adjustable compressor (it was about the size of 3 CD cases stacked) from Amazon, which was "OK" - it generated enough pressure to spray primer, although the compressor was running permanently (not just when you were spraying) so I imagine you couldn't use it for extended periods without overheating. The airbrush worked fine, although it was a bit of a pain to clean out. 

Which brings me onto something - probably the two most important things with an airbrush are that it's comfortable in your hand, and it's easy to clean out (because so many airbrush problems stem from "it's not clean").

Don't know if that's any help or not. :blush: 

I bought a similar one a few months ago from Amazon (Elikliv, now unavailable),  looking to ditch rattle cans for the same reasons (and to reduce aerosol use) as I am in the S / SE. 

I've only used mine a few times and the last time wasn't great - probably down to not thinning my paints well enough though I'm not sure the trigger action on the brush was as 'positive' as the previous uses. 

Stripping it down was an adventure with no instructions and o-rings that appeared from nowhere. I doubt the o-rings are teflon so wouldn't want to put anything stronger than acrylic through it.

It has, however, demonstrated the power of an airbrush and I would love to get a better one. But I am limited to using it in the garage in a cardboard box rather than indoors, in a proper spray booth with ventilation, a comfy seat, etc. The cost doesn't justify upgrading while this one gets the job done with nice thin even coats of my Vallejo surface primers (as long as I thin them and regularly clean the airbrush tip).

I think the hand held USBs airbrushes are a great alternative to rattle cans for priming but you are taking your chances on a below par quality product with a limited scope. If you want to do more than priming and have the space, etc then spend the money on a decent starter set up.

If you decide to get one of the hand held USB compressor ones, try and get one with decent reviews / video review links as the quality varies so much.

I dont have one, but i would consider them if i would travel a lot.

My main problem is working time of 30 mins with on battery which you could probably ignore.

You will get a cheap chinese copy Airbrush, they can work but most times they are scrap. If you buy brand airbrush stuff they have at least quality Control.

Even then you will need the rest of the airbrush equipment, Respirator, cleaning stuff,  etc.

In the end, in my eyes your savings are below 100€.

You can get a H&S Ultra for the same price and a Fengda AS 186 compressor for under 100€. Even the chines knockoffs of that one are good. Add a hose and you are good.

Second an airbrush compressor isnt that big. If you have space for a shoebox under your table it fits an airbrush compressor.

Ah, that was the video I was looking for before commenting, thanks grot!

I think you need to separate the compressor from the brush in the comparison.

A battery compressor does have the advantage in that it is highly portable and takes up little space. Sure, it's not going to give you a sustained session as long as a mains-powered, airtank compressor, but it does lower the barrier to entry and by all accounts they are quieter without a big piston compressor and cooling fan, while still providing an OK airflow when directly coupled  - about the same quality as those little iwata box mains compressors. Also living on soggy island (england), being able to zenithal prime & varnish inside, instead of going out into the street/garden is one of the nicest things about having an airbrush, and this makes that more accessible with something you can stick in a drawer or toolbox. Or conversely, if you have no space at all inside, being able to do it outside in summer weather and not need a big ass cardboard spray booth stored (just some newspaper on a flat surface), and not so sensitive to temp and humidity as a rattle can so better quality finish is still an advantage. Even though I live in a house now, and have a 'proper' AS compressor, buying a battery compressor is something I've considered more than once for the sheer convenience, similar to the linked model.

The airbrush that comes with them though is usually a dirt-cheap chinese airbrush. Getting it properly clean is usually a pain as they don't have the fit and finish of a nicer airbrush, and that's the biggest cause of problems with airbrushing. Plus access to spare parts like replacement needles is next to non-existant. So as a starter airbrush, I think the battery compressor is more useful than the brush, and if it's something you're likely to want to keep doing longer term after tryin it out, it's worth then investing in a good, cheap-ish workhorse brush like a badger patriot 105 to go with it; and you can always keep using that if you do later buy a full compressor, and will allow more delicate work easier (controllable pressure). And it has to be said, I give the same advice if you buy a cheap wired compressor with an included crappy chinese brush.

A full size e.g. fengda or AS-186 compressor isn't much more expensive, but does take up more space with the plug wire and hose, is more of a pain to put up and tear down if you don't have a dedicated desk, and is more likely to lead to avoiding getting it out of the cupboard because it's 'not worth it' for a handful of models. I did exactly that when living in a flat that was barely a shoebox itself, and giving it was often pissing it down, I didn't rattlecan either and they sat unprimed and unloved for longer.

I think it's definitely worth considering if it fits your space needs and you can live with e.g. not being able to prime 20 models in one go. One that has a 2nd battery you can swap will help with that though; I rarely airbrush for more than an hour as my old compressor overheats after that! Plus being able to charge them off USB is pretty handy as one less dedicated mains plug (also an issue in old flats here)

Edited by Arkhanist

On 5/9/2023 at 1:25 PM, Craig said:

I got a similar one and I'd just say spend the bit extra on a proper compressor and brush. Mine didn't last too long before the compressor packed up and there's nothing to really recommend these hand held ones over a proper kit.

Same here. On paper it seemed like a bargain but mine quickly packed in and I ended up springing for a more traditional setup. Much happier now.