Returning to the 4th Company (Judiciar Conversion)

So with 10th edition on the horizon, I have decided to go back to where it all began for me in the hobby and that's back to the 4th company.

I first got into the hobby when a work colleague lent me a copy of the first Ultramarines omnibus and I was hooked, this was back in 5th and I played Ultramarines up until late 7th.

So I have started planning a small little force that I hope to actually get some games in during 10th, with the goal of building the force up to full company strength down the road.

So with a rather large pile of unbuilt models from my previous space marine projects, kicking around I have set to work on cracking on with a test model.

large.UltramarineLt.jpg.abb832cc429a9d618b3b36b108e2a291.jpg

I decided to keep the colour scheme simple by following the standard colours for the Ultramarines although still need to get some grass tufts to complete the base. I am pretty happy with how it turned out as I am trying to push myself with this army and get better at edge highlighting as its not something I do that often and will probably just do to characters going forward.

Next up on the hobby desk will be a chaplain.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Snakes of Ithaka
Title

12 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

That looks really clean :smile: Great work, you getting a Uriel Ventris to go with them?

Thanks ZeroWolf, I do have the Ventris model which has been sat in the pile of shame for far too long, so he will definitely be leading the 4th.

I have also been reading the swords of Calth, the latest Ventris model to catch up on what the 4th are up to during the Indomitus crusade and was inspired to model the swords of Calth so this evening I plan on having a rummage around in the bits box to see what I can come up with.

On 5/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, Snakes of Ithaka said:

Thanks ZeroWolf, I do have the Ventris model which has been sat in the pile of shame for far too long, so he will definitely be leading the 4th.

I have also been reading the swords of Calth, the latest Ventris model to catch up on what the 4th are up to during the Indomitus crusade and was inspired to model the swords of Calth so this evening I plan on having a rummage around in the bits box to see what I can come up with.

I have done 3 members of the Swords of Calth so far its a worthwhile task.

On 5/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, Captain Idaho said:

Yeah you just got to build the Swords of Calth! I loved reading about the character of the unit.

17 hours ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

I have done 3 members of the Swords of Calth so far its a worthwhile task.

Thanks Captain Idaho and Arkley, I've been having a a look through the bits box and have a good idea on what I want Pasanius, Learchus and Selenus to look like but not decided on Nero or Brutus yet.

Talking of Selenus, he is the first of the swords of Calth that I have completed.

large.Selenus.jpg.ed6eb4953a2ccdf61316e34d522efe63.jpg

With my previous ultramarines I've always tried to stay away from painting white as the main colour on the apothecary as I've never really been happy with my white armour attempts so for this one I decided to bite the bullet and just go for it and have to say I'm really happy with how it came out.

And while not part of the swords of Calth what 4th company project wouldn't be complete without chaplain Judd Clausel.

large.JuddClausel.jpg.a9a0cf0a698c0c64bef7c7d997784443.jpg

Currently on the work bench is a second Lieutenant and a squad of eliminators which I might paint up as 10th company that are attached to the 4th.

Thanks for reading until next time.

So had some time at the hobby desk over the weekend and decided to sit down and work out exactly what I had sitting in the to do pile and then set about building a squad of eradicators and the Kratos tank, while priming up the 3 eliminators ready for painting.

With the leviathan box not far away now, I am toying with the idea of adding a small 1st company force to this one.

One thing I did manage to get painted was the second lieutenant.

large.Ultramarines4thComapny2ndlieutenant.jpg.908ec29032ce7abe0d94a508e1009dd5.jpg

and of course now I post the picture I notice that I have not painted his thumb :wallbash:.

So with a little extra hobby time then I expected over the past couple of nights I may of got a little distracted from the eliminators and  paint up Uriel Ventris

large.UrielVentris.jpg.e2f7f780db59bbeca5578a0cdd660460.jpg

the helmet is not glue yet as I wasn't too keen on the supplied unhelmeted head so have been looking for some alternatives in the bits box but so far have drawn a blank, so might have a look around online to see if I can find any that match the image I had of him from reading the books.

I think that at some point I might make a Gravis version of him to match the description in the swords of calth novel. 

I also dipped into the bits box to make my  take on Pasanius Lysane 

large.PasaniusLysane.jpg.fda447aa434eab79b093ad269a2867ea.jpg

Still an early work in progress but think I have the basics down.

Thanks for reading and until next time.

So with a bit of hobby time over the bank holiday weekend I sat down with the intention of kit bashing a Judiciar.

I'm not a fan of the GW model so decide to try and come up with a conversion that would be easily identifiable for game use and that showed my take on the unit.

large.JudiciarBase.jpg.0f27e3ac53b9e98b5fc0fab65fa1ab8c.jpg

So after having a rummage through the bits box I came up with the above as a rough starting point using a body from the black templar crusader squad as a base, then over the course of the day and with some feed back of of Instagram settled on the below.

large.JudiciarWIP.jpg.fbd26260dd75f8ee4e80131dec8ba9d8.jpg

The only thing I'm still not sure about is the head, I've currently got the one from the GW Judiciar to tie it back to the official model but part of me feels the reiver one looks better.

Would love to get your feed back on which head betters suits the model.