PSA: "Made to Order" may not actually be that...

(Mods, please move this if this is the wrong forum)

So I received my MTO Lhamaean from GW this morning, and this evening I finally got round to opening the blister up.

I was a bit surprised to see it using the old Finecast-branded blister art with the old-style 40K logo rather than a generic one, but brushed concerns aside. However, when I actually took the miniature off the sprue and cleaned it up, I was rather appalled by the state of the thing. GW's newer resin models are on the whole pretty decent nowadays, usually MUCH better than the horrors of Finecast. This however, whilst not as bad as some examples, had a lot of the hallmarks of early Finecast minis. Lots of tiny bubbles, the hairpin nearly breaking off right off the sprue, flash EVERYWHERE and very soft and wobbly resin.

To put things in perspective, long before the announced MTO I picked up a very cheap recast of the Lhamaean (yes, cue the jeering) and whilst by no means a great cast, missing part of the hairpin and requiring the knife gluing back on, the casting quality on the whole was far better than the reissue!

DSC03597.thumb.JPG.f013acd4814ce7f6e62264b28c6cc40f.JPG

One of these is a genuine GW Lhamaean, the other a cheap recast. Can you tell which is which?

I was a bit perplexed by the shonkiness of the cast, but as I checked the blister photo to make sure I wasn't cleaning off bits of the actual model, I twigged it- they didn't just reprint it in period-accurate boxes (and quality), I have a sneaking suspicion this is unsold stock resold for an inflated price as if it had been newly produced.

I'm tolerant of a lot from GW but this? This is pretty inexcusable.

So yeah, before you buy any more MTO products...just, be cautious, OK?

I'd guess

They're utilizing 3pl warehousing services and moving certain stock into an offsite storage location, and rotating certain stock back in.

Some stuff will get new runs, other, overproduced units won't get a new run until backlog is burned down

So you got a miscast? Thats something that can always happen unfortunately but keeping piles of old stock is a lot less likely than them just reusing the old art or even having a stock of the paper parts stacked flat somewhere, the whole point of range rotations is to save stock space after all. 

Either way id be contacting GW and theyll just replace it.

Noserenda's right, just get in touch and they should replace it for you. I bought a Lelith Hesperax at the "height" of the finecast fiasco and had it replaced four times before I got one that was even remotely decent.

Good luck.

When I got an Archaon it is definitely a new cast.

It came in a new style generic box and the cast base was round for AoS  not square for WHFB. And it took almost 3 months to arrive 

I guess it depends on what it is that they're making 

Cheers 

Vogon