1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Im not a fan of the changes to powers and casting being gone in general. Hopefully we can still choose from a list of powers and hopefully the restriction to using the same power per turn is gone otherwise TSons players that use 5 units of Rubrics will just have another color of basic marines that stand there and shoot. Thats not why I like playing TSons

I'm conflicted.

Magic can be a real fun thing, but a full-fledged magic system feels a more fantasy thing where wizards and the like are more a staple. Where most of the setting would dabble in it with some exceptions.

In 40k magic ends up being the domain of a few groups and so it ends up being the dull phase for a bunch of people. Either you need to amp up magic as being more interactive and used more heavily, or do what GW did and streamline it significantly.

At the very least, to me, splitting up the usage of powers to their appropriate phase (Buffs during command/Movement, Witchfires being shooting, etc.) makes sense since sitting there in a dedicated psychic phase while a mini turn-within-a-turn takes place isnt the most fun.

8 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

@Subtleknife some people really don't like it when you talk about how the game is getting more abstract in various ways, or losing mechanics.  If its not praise for the 8th+ style of design, it gets a disagree

Edit: in before khornstar hits this one with a disagree

Oh I completely agree which I think is a shame. Happy to hear why people disagree as it is always interesting to get other peoples viewpoints. What I don't have time for though are those who engage in bad faith. Luckily there is a mute button. :biggrin:

WRT choosing psychic powers or not, iirc they've been mentioned as one of the elements in detachments, so perhaps there's a more mechanised infantry focused detachment which proposes mechanical powers (perhaps some to repair or damage vehicles for example), or a close quarters detachment that allows you to take torrent psychic powers...

This should hopefully bring more variety to the likes of thousand sons (different detachments will build different-playing psykers) or space marine chapters (that salamanders librarian can rain down his hellfire whereas the mechanised Imperial Fists and the Iron Hands will be able to ensure their land raiders and repulsor executioners work at their best)

I was kind of expecting something along the lines of the AOS approach where the Battletomes list extra spells that you can swap in for the ones that wizards come with by default. Was the SM codex planned for September? If so we should start to see the first batch of "full fat" Psychic powers in that.

10 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

@Subtleknife some people really don't like it when you talk about how the game is getting more abstract in various ways, or losing mechanics.  If its not praise for the 8th+ style of design, it gets a disagree

Edit: in before khornstar hits this one with a disagree

Oh man now I feel like I missed out by not respectfully disagreeing in time. I gotta up my game. ;)

Edited by Khornestar

A psychic phase was always a stupid idea in my opinion. Psychic powers generally do one of 3 things: (1.) Buff your dudes; (2.) Move your dudes; (3.) Kill the other guy’s dudes. 1 can be done in the Command Phase, 2 can be done in the movement phase, and 3 can be done in the shooting phase. Magic jazz hands do not need their own phase.

46 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

IMG-20230519-WA0057.jpeg

Handy little keyword reference.

Some bits seems a little off to me. The anti wording should be that they crit on the roll given. And lethal hits should note it auto wounds on critical hits right? 

Or am I thinking it all wrong? If i am correct then this might be a playtesting copy or at least an early copy where they havent totally proof read it.

Edit: i am right about the anti rule as this was from the terminator datasheet article

Screenshot_20230520_000657_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Sir Clausel

12 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

Some bits seems a little off to me. The anti wording should be that they crit on the roll given. And lethal hits should note it auto wounds on critical hits right? 

Or am I thinking it all wrong? If i am correct then this might be a playtesting copy or at least an early copy where they havent totally proof read it.

Edit: i am right about the anti rule as this was from the terminator datasheet article

Screenshot_20230520_000657_Chrome.jpg

In the reddit thread, they pointed that out too and he fixed it in the updated one.

17 hours ago, Doctor Perils said:

WRT choosing psychic powers or not, iirc they've been mentioned as one of the elements in detachments

You choose your powers by choosing which psyker units to bring, at least given how the playtester described it on Discord. That means your customization comes from your list and unit selection, not by choosing from a list of powers on a page. Bit different, but cool anyway imo.

Tangential to the psyker talker.

We don't have too many faction articles left now I think, since the space marine flavours sans GKs aren't getting articles. Leaving 3 aliens, Custodes, and our two magic men GK and TS. So the psyker marine articles can't be far off now.

Talking of course after Monday's Chaos Knights.

Edited by spessmarine

I wouldn't be surprised if GW bundled the non codex chapters into one article seeing as all of them would boil down to "you are marines, but this bit is different"

Very interested in seeing the jazz hands factions; after seeing drones getting turned into wargear I would not be surprised to see some of the units still retaining some choice. Like an exalted sorcerer kind of makes sense to have some choice while the aspiring ones probably won't.

2 hours ago, Nephaston said:

I wouldn't be surprised if GW bundled the non codex chapters into one article seeing as all of them would boil down to "you are marines, but this bit is different"

Very interested in seeing the jazz hands factions; after seeing drones getting turned into wargear I would not be surprised to see some of the units still retaining some choice. Like an exalted sorcerer kind of makes sense to have some choice while the aspiring ones probably won't.

I think GW said they werent getting an article at all, even mushed together with the others.

6 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

I think GW said they werent getting an article at all, even mushed together with the others.

Unless they've said something new there was room in GWs comments for a combined article. They used the phrase "seperate article" and "their own article" on their post regarding divergent chapters. So theoretically they could do a combined article. Its a small hope of course, but its there.

25 minutes ago, tzeentch9 said:

So we have chaos knights, dark eldar, harlequins, gsc, orks, thousand sons, grey knights and custodes left? That takes us to the end of the month. So wonder what they will show in those ten days before preorders start.

Likely drop the core rules for free on one of them, possibly more info on crusade or combat patrols.

Given all rules are free on launch, they may distribute some early.

29 minutes ago, tzeentch9 said:

So we have chaos knights, dark eldar, harlequins, gsc, orks, thousand sons, grey knights and custodes left? That takes us to the end of the month. So wonder what they will show in those ten days before preorders start.

Ynarri, Inquisition/Assassins?

Edited by Ming the Merciless

16 minutes ago, KnightofSigismund said:

For some reason I expected harlequins to get folded back into one eldar book, color me surprised. 

They are currently folded into the 9th Aledari book, same with the ynead stuff. Would be odd for them to receive full codexs again, but I suppose if they're to play completely different then maybe detachment rules wouldn't be enough for them and would need unique army rules.

3 hours ago, tzeentch9 said:

2 hours ago, KnightofSigismund said:

For some reason I expected harlequins to get folded back into one eldar book, color me surprised. 

They don't even exist separately on the store page, definitely still rolled in. And forgotten about for the Eldar preview too of course :laugh:

14 hours ago, spessmarine said:

Tangential to the psyker talker.

We don't have too many faction articles left now I think, since the space marine flavours sans GKs aren't getting articles. Leaving 3 aliens, Custodes, and our two magic men GK and TS. So the psyker marine articles can't be far off now.

Talking of course after Monday's Chaos Knights.

On the one hand, I'm excited to see how the dusty bois play in 10th.
On the other hand there's a 60% chance based on GW's track record that our Army Rule and Detachment are gonna be Tzaangor based and thus entirely useless.