On 5/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, Lemondish said:

You choose your powers by choosing which psyker units to bring, at least given how the playtester described it on Discord. That means your customization comes from your list and unit selection, not by choosing from a list of powers on a page. Bit different, but cool anyway imo.

Heh, Psykers are now Crypteks.

13 minutes ago, spessmarine said:

"if a unit disembarks after a transport moves, it cannot move or charge or remain stationary"

go directly to the warp, do not pass go

Makes perfect sense to me. Can’t move or charge easy, stationary refers to heavy weapons, so they won’t get the +1 for remaking stationary.

If it’s true.

with the rule of 3/6 and the lack of multiple detachments like in 8th and 9th they had to do something to allow you to field a more infantry heavy guard list hence allowing you to squish two guard units together taking up only 1 spot, I suspect when they get there own codex they will get a rule like the old platoons back where one platoon command squad and like 2-5 infantry squads count as a single datasheet choice. 

For context, I used to use Rhinos for my Honour Guard back in the old days which had this rule and still made plenty of charges. You move as close as you can, pop smoke and disembark the next turn, move your full movement allowance then charge. It does work.

Turn 2 charges:

• Rhino moves 12" (probably advances too if you're inclined but we won't count it for now) turn 1.

• whether you disembark or get destroyed, that's 3" movement.

• your unit moves 6" in your movement phase.

• you charge 2D6, averaging 7.

So in total, you've reached across the board 28" inches there! It catches people out a lot, but is also a solid move.

The negatives is how easy to kill Rhinos and other softer transports might be, but with terrain and target saturation, this could be a viable option.

Certainly 3 Rhinos laden with troops and a Land Raider will be a difficult assault force to stop in one turn.

Edited by Captain Idaho

7 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

That seems like a typo.

But if not, compulsory Advance?

I think you chose to advance as a modification of moving, so it'd probably cover that. Remain stationary is a specific action, so they might be trying to say that you don't count as having not moved, for the purposes of Heavy, etc.

On 5/28/2023 at 3:51 AM, WrathOfTheLion said:

I think you chose to advance as a modification of moving, so it'd probably cover that. Remain stationary is a specific action, so they might be trying to say that you don't count as having not moved, for the purposes of Heavy, etc.

That's very likely; do we have anything solid on it yet?

Just looked at the wording in teh leak, although Advance move is separate option to the Normal Move it includes the Normal Move amount (M+D6) not a separate D6.

So yep, I'm super likely to be wrong on that one.

1 hour ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

That seems like a typo.

But if not, compulsory Advance?

Based off the other comments, I think it makes sense if you parse it as:

"If a unit disembarked from a transport after that transport made a move, then the unit counts as having made a move and also may not charge this turn."
You counted as having moved makes more sense to me than not being allowed to be stationary.

6 hours ago, spessmarine said:

Based off the other comments, I think it makes sense if you parse it as:

"If a unit disembarked from a transport after that transport made a move, then the unit counts as having made a move and also may not charge this turn."
You counted as having moved makes more sense to me than not being allowed to be stationary.

Unless there are any stratagem/detachment/faction rules interactions that let you count a unit as having "remained stationary". This would explicitly make it not work on a disembarked unit.

"Counts as doing x' is classic woolly wording and I've seen it causing debates for decades. Where is the line between counting as and actually doing? The answer often seems clear to the reader but its lack of precision means different readers interpret rules interactions differently.

If moving/not moving is an important distinction (and it has been since Rogue Trader and WHFB before that) you will have a much clearer ruleset if you clearly codify those two states and ensure a unit is always in one or the other.

"Counts as having moved" is a great way to remember the rule's application in game, and I don't suggest anyone stops using that mental shorthand. But I will die on this hill that says it's a terrible formulation for writing complex and ever expanding rules.

Edited by Cactus
Fixed my own sloppy writing.

Yeah it's a lot simpler from a rules interaction perspective if there's a defined state 'remained stationary' that can give you a benefit, then you can define things that allow and prevent you taking that state. So you can ask 'does this unit get the +1 for heavy weapons because it remained stationary?' No, because you e.g. disembarked, or were moved by psychic power, or moved normally, or entered from reserves etc etc all of which prevent doing so (I presume), rather than the much woolier interaction of 'counts as' in some circumstances and doesn't 'count as' in others.

Edited by Arkhanist

To each their own.

Moving on. Assuming the order was intentional, DE on Monday followed by GSC, Imperial Agents, fist full of snowflakes, and then finishing on Friday with titans.

Wednesday will be an interesting day, to see what Imperial Agents looks like. Thursday will be very important, as it covers a lot of peoples armies and concerns. Friday, the funnest maybe, this gun's strength goes to 11 111.

Seems like a more complete, and less "quickly snapped in a car seat" version of the core rules is starting to make its rounds.

From what I can see the weird example datasheet still features Angels of Death and Core, but the quality of the scan, and the inclusion of the cover makes me believe this is the real deal.

Hmm I've given it a look over. One thing that jumps out is command points seem mega limited now. Far as I can tell you dont start with any.

You just gain 1 at the start of each of your turns.

Sorta weird as Army Rules like Imperial Knights Code Chivalric give you a one time bounty of 3CP.

But the core rules say you can only gain 1CP per battle round regardless of source.

I guess this is an exception.

Edited by marspeople

26 minutes ago, marspeople said:

Hmm I've given it a look over. One thing that jumps out is command points seem mega limited now. Far as I can tell you dont start with any.

You just gain 1 at the start of each of your turns.

Sorta weird as Army Rules like Imperial Knights Code Chivalric give you a one time bounty of 3CP.

But the core rules say you can only gain 1CP per battle round regardless of source.

I guess this is an exception.

The says "outside of the CP players gain at the start of the command phase...", and Code Chivalric does say "If, at the start of any of your Command phases...you gain 3CP...", so maybe that's how that's resolved.

And it's 1CP to each player in each command phase, so two a round. Still, if there is no starting amount, that's really going to make that stratagem choice super impactful.