Anyone less excited for 10th than they were?

Go to solution Solved by Rain,

I don't know how this decision makes business sense.

I think share holders want GW selling twice as many Spartans. Afterall, designing the molds is the expensive part of plastic; once that's done, never-ending MTO seems like the most profitable strategy. 

In that sense it isn't too complicated. On paper its not meant to affect 99% of players. Its only meant to affect tournaments. But in reality we seem to have a massive spillover effect from tournament rules affecting other venues of play, even though that shouldn't be the case.

Even though I'd argue this technically isn't a problem of GW's own making, it is a problem that will potentially affect their potentials sales, so they should treat it as one, and put efforts into changing the perception that Legends = not cool for fair play. Maybe do battle reports that feature legends and such.

But don't wanna derail the topic if this is skirting the issue of 10th specifically.

39 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

In that sense it isn't too complicated. On paper its not meant to affect 99% of players. Its only meant to affect tournaments. But in reality we seem to have a massive spillover effect from tournament rules affecting other venues of play, even though that shouldn't be the case.

As legends is a retirement zone where things will not be revisited, it is unfair to play it off as just being a tournament issue. Legends should be for stuff no longer produced, not new plastic kits you spent the last year hyping up and whipped up 40k sheets for ASAP (unless you're CSM in which case much like second wounds, you'll wait your turn).

1 hour ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Even though I'd argue this technically isn't a problem of GW's own making, it is a problem that will potentially affect their potentials sales, so they should treat it as one, and put efforts into changing the perception that Legends = not cool for fair play. Maybe do battle reports that feature legends and such.

But don't wanna derail the topic if this is skirting the issue of 10th specifically.

Well it kinda is of GW's own making. They do tournament mode to be the 'most balanced' for competitive play. When people are playing pick-up games i.e. not a regular group of friends, what kind of system are they going to reach for, for the 'most balanced' game with a near stranger? It's like when they introduced the 'optional' rule of 3 for tournament mode; you could argue til you were blue in the face that it wasn't mandatory for ordinary matched play, but a lot of players leapt on it like a starving Chihuahua on a pork chop to make the game 'better' - and here we are 4 years later, with it embedded right in the detachment structure for all games.

I'm happy facing or playing legends, but it takes 2 people to agree what to play and 'tournament mode' has become the defacto choice for PUG for a number of people. And if you don't have a lot of potential opponents (rural area etc), and can't convince them otherwise, then it's acquiese or don't play. So personally, I'd need to prepare 2 lists; one with legends, and one without in case my opponent doesn't want to allow legends, as I don't have a regular friend group to play with that are fine with it.

I'm not gonna bother for stuff that's been OOP for years or is a 20+ year old kit and is pretty marginal value, so not a huge hit up to now. For my DG in particular, losing the leviathan and sicaran venator HURT, especially since the new plastic kit for the latter literally came out a couple of months ago - and having them or not drastically changes the list and capability as there are not drop in replacements or potential proxies with rules. So it definitely contributes a big chunk to disappointment with 10th for my DG. And going forward, once codexes start dropping with new keywords etc, those won't apply to the legends units, so you have to then also agree to house ruling fixing their keywords etc.

It's like when someone retires from the office; you wish em well, and they might drop in at some point just to say hello and see how you're going, but you're not gonna rely on them for something important cos they retired, man! GW just 'retired' 2/3 of the DG heavy support datasheets when they only just started on the job!

I guess the idea is that sales of redemptors and primaris tanks have been disappointing, so nudging players to start buying those rather than use the same unit for 30k and 40k, or the old box dread makes sense to some sales manager, but GW's cluelessness about this when reacting to feedback (the generic reply they have when you email is borderline condescending) also is not encouraging that they've learned from their mistakes in the past.

But yeah, I'm not gonna post any more about that, don't want this thread to go like the other one.

Edited by Arkhanist

Well the absolute deluge of influencer posts have started today, and I can already feel my excitement dwindling. 

A few gems here and there, but mostly mediocrity. 

The carpet bombing approach that GW does with these things just have the opposite effect on me. 

The pressure is even more on GW to deliver enough product to make everyone happy, or it will just be like a wet fish to the face.

7 minutes ago, Doghouse said:

Don't know if it is because I am getting old but I find all that stuff incredibly cringe inducing. I tried watching a few but had to turn them off.

They remind me of the Red Letter Media don't question, consume product meme.

Orions Belt miniatures has a very nice and fun video up, I found a very cool Kaldor Draigo conversion And Garfy has painted a very retro Terminator that looks ace. But other than that it is just formulaic and mediocre. 

33 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

Orions Belt miniatures has a very nice and fun video up, I found a very cool Kaldor Draigo conversion And Garfy has painted a very retro Terminator that looks ace. But other than that it is just formulaic and mediocre. 

Had to go looking for that to cheer me up! Cool scheme indeed - this is what I remember 1st edition space hulk looked like in my minds eye...

9lextfy5vr3b1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

hox2rmckvr3b1.jpeg?width=2000&format=pjp

Edited by Arkhanist

1 hour ago, Redcomet said:

Well the absolute deluge of influencer posts have started today, and I can already feel my excitement dwindling. 

Yeah, I'm sick of them too. It's just paid-for positivity. I haven't taken any notice of them and I won't until well after 9th's release. Most are just GW mouth pieces. 

Back on topic, looking at the previewed army that I own (Death Guard) and the previewed army that my main opponent owns (Craftworlds), I do not want to play this game. At least on release. Death Guard aren't my only army though, so maybe some of the others will be better when we see the full Indexes.

4 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

Yeah, I'm sick of them too. It's just paid-for positivity. I haven't taken any notice of them and I won't until well after 9th's release. Most are just GW mouth pieces. 

Back on topic, looking at the previewed army that I own (Death Guard) and the previewed army that my main opponent owns (Craftworlds), I do not want to play this game. At least on release. Death Guard aren't my only army though, so maybe some of the others will be better when we see the full Indexes.

The Eldar do indeed look very strong

I'm already well versed with the contents of leviathan that I have zero interest wether influencers do videos or unboxings or whatnot. I just don't care to go look, so it neither damages or heightens any excitement. Box is out in 3 weeks, I've yet to be burned on not being able to get anything I wanted now, doesn't feel like it'll be the case with levi either.

3 weeks?? This was starting to feel drawn out like a month ago.

Not feeling the new edition at all.

I will probably try it with my friends, but the years of hype building for a constant flow of releases -to be forgotten on preorder day just to begin anew- have really burned out my ability to get excited for GW's stuff.

9 minutes ago, Allart01 said:

3 weeks?? This was starting to feel drawn out like a month ago.

Not feeling the new edition at all.

I will probably try it with my friends, but the years of hype building for a constant flow of releases -to be forgotten on preorder day just to begin anew- have really burned out my ability to get excited for GW's stuff.

I feel you. I got Star Wars Shatterpoint yesterday, and I am so giddy to paint and play those. But the Leviathan box… I still want it, but I won’t be upset if it sells out before I can preorder one. 

Also the Screamer Killer just looks weird. The head and the arms are truly ugly, and will need replacing with the ones from the older kit

53 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

I feel you. I got Star Wars Shatterpoint yesterday, and I am so giddy to paint and play those. But the Leviathan box… I still want it, but I won’t be upset if it sells out before I can preorder one. 

Also the Screamer Killer just looks weird. The head and the arms are truly ugly, and will need replacing with the ones from the older kit

I think there will be enough boxes for everyone so that shouldn't be an issue and you can also talk to a local store or online 3rd party retailer and try to get a copy secured before the pre-orders go live, worst case scenario we find out that stores get a box and half each :D

I think the nid redesign in generals suffers from overcomplicated design, the details are suffocating and kinda break up some of the models too much, the poses don't help them much either... they feel a bit generic?  I've noticed the trend of GW designers just going ham and not putting any credible design effort into a lot of stuff nowadays and somehow it gets passed checks and we get stuff like the T-shirt troopers, the Brother Gokartio ATV, 99.9% of female heads having the same weird half buzzcut hairdos, most models on a rock tripping... 

On the matter of the topic, i've not lost hype, didn't have much to begin with but there are only a few minor issues I have with what we know of 10th. All of them expected so no worries there.

3 hours ago, Doghouse said:

Don't know if it is because I am getting old but I find all that stuff incredibly cringe inducing. I tried watching a few but had to turn them off.

They remind me of the Red Letter Media don't question, consume product meme.

Not to be that guy, but this is why I don’t have social media. 90% of it is just thinly veiled advertisements. The other 10% exists to try to make you jealous, or to instill the idea that your X is not good enough. Besides 40k, I am a car enthusiast, and it’s the same crap.

Oh wow, the new GT3 is out! First drive! It’s really good, who knew? Want one? That will be 300k on the secondary market because they all got scalped. Man, your car is probably really crap compared to the new GT3, so sad for you.

These old school forums tend be better in that regard, but I deleted my Reddit app, and never had Insta. All it did was make me bitter about my interests and hobbies, and I feel like that is intentional, with the intended salve being consuming product and getting excited for next product.

4 hours ago, Redcomet said:

Also there are no datasheet cards for the units in the box, in the box, which is super strange. So you can’t even play with the box unless you download the index pdfs or buy cards. Not great in a 150£ ish box

The unit rules are part of the instruction booklet.

I find that I’m somewhat excited about 10th, but not at all about leviathan. I read through goonhammer’s review of all the models in the box and the main thing it made me feel was keen to get hold of some of the full kits, eventually. I’m not sure what else is in there that I need anyway: core rules that I now have on ibooks and a load of models that I don’t need. 

GH says that the tyrannid side is more of a starter army than the marines and that seems to be true. The marines feel like they’d fill out existing armies well, but not as well as the full kits. Given that we know the marine codex is coming fairly soon we shouldn’t have too long to wait for those. 

10 hours ago, Arkhanist said:

Had to go looking for that to cheer me up! Cool scheme indeed - this is what I remember 1st edition space hulk looked like in my minds eye...

9lextfy5vr3b1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

hox2rmckvr3b1.jpeg?width=2000&format=pjp

Certainly the art on the box (and I believe on the box of metal Terminators that came out separately) but definitely not the minis inside the 1st Edition Space Hulk box!

I do find the new Storm Bolter magazines a bit chunky though.

Lolz, just checked:

Last week I had a Legendary Chaplain Dreadnought and a Legendary Landraider Hyperios (sp).

This week I have (soon to be)  27 Legendary units. 28 if my Thunderhawk gets the shaft.

Yeah, not feeling the 10th vibe anymore. 

Great Success!!!

A few of the lads are starting a One Page Rules group.

They're getting sick of GeeDub shenanigans too.

No need to look forward to more poorly written rules designed to sell minis.

GeeDub still get to sell me Legends though :laugh:

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

My gaming group is in a similar situation. Some of us are just going to keep playing 9th. Some or us are considering OPR. And a couple of us are thinking about giving 10th a go. But none of us are excited and all of us hate multiple decisions GW have made with this edition. Considering most of us have played together since 2nd, this is the first edition where we have all been disappointed and disenchanted on such a scale that we are considering just skipping the edition entirely, which I could see resulting in at least some of us just not coming back.

But, 3 years of not caring about GWs FOMO obsession and pricing is a nice up side.