Anyone less excited for 10th than they were?

Go to solution Solved by Rain,

Well as they show absolutely zero respect or loyalty to their customers let them tank.

In my 36 years in the hobby I've not seen anything as bad as 'The Squatting' until this mass Legendizing.

Combine that with the overt manipulation of spending through points shenanigans they deserve a financial kicking. 

33 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Well as they show absolutely zero respect or loyalty to their customers let them tank.

In my 36 years in the hobby I've not seen anything as bad as 'The Squatting' until this mass Legendizing.

Combine that with the overt manipulation of spending through points shenanigans they deserve a financial kicking. 

I think that’s a big part of it. People just want to be able to use their cool toys after pouring in considerable money, time and effort. 

but GW is over here treating models like magic the gathering cards. ‘Oh, you want to *play* with a Leviathan? Well, it’s been retired, but feel free to buy 3 of the new Brutalis dreadnoughts instead!’ 

3 hours ago, Blurf said:

To wit, there is one thing people absolutely should keep in mind:

7th edition 40k and Launch AoS, absolutely DID come very close to tanking the company. They were in BAD shape before the General's Handbook launched and were still on the rocks until the launch of 8th.

A bad enough string of time can tank sales, we've seen it happen. The question is, are DG, SoB, and Admech players not making any new purchases enough to counter all the Marine players going out and buying Desolation Squads and all the new Wraithknights and Knight Preceptors getting picked up?

Yeah it's an interesting circumstance for sure. The sort of unknown territory circumstance of a disenfranchised 40K community.

Will the reduction in sales in 40K happen from those disenfranchised or will people complain and still buy? If just half the community halved their purchases through a decreased amount of motivation, that would hurt GW hard as they are so dependent on 40K.

I dunno the maths of course, there's bound to be a graph somewhere...?

Anyway, I went from wanting to buy 2 packs of Assault Marines and 2 Vindicators, maybe 6 Bikers for my cool Bike Captain, to none now.

I'm not important enough on my own to do anything. But man if many people feel like that and do similar, that's gotta count for something?

GW products are priced for people with good jobs with high salary (which also means they don't have much time for hobbies). But at the same time GW products are designed for people without jobs so they have the time to rearrange their armies every 5 minutes due to rule changes.

53 minutes ago, Lord_Valorion said:

GW products are priced for people with good jobs with high salary (which also means they don't have much time for hobbies). But at the same time GW products are designed for people without jobs so they have the time to rearrange their armies every 5 minutes due to rule changes.

And of course both can apply to the same person over time. When I was younger, single, basic job; I couldn't afford tons of models, I had time but not money. Now I'm older with family and a senior job, I have more money (though inflation, jesus) but very little spare time. Hence the plastic crack pile I'll get to 'any day now'. Planning out and imagining what I want to build is still fun, even if actually having it fully painted is likely a bit of a pipe dream.

This has been such a slap in the face, it's going to bring my purchasing to a complete screeching halt. Obviously those shiny new HH tanks were already off the list, but now it's just... what's the point?

I've thought of another thing about the new fixed unit sizes; if you've done ANY conversions that used a model from another kit, you are now :cuss: - you have an incomplete unit that's almost impossible to make legal again without going to a bits seller.

Take bladeguard; let's say I've used one of a 3 man box to make a champion. That 2 man leftover is now effectively impossible to use. It's too small to be used on its own, but if I add it to a 3 man box, I have a 5 man unit that I have to pay for as if it was a 6 man squad. It's not like I can pull in an intercessor and make it look like a bladeguard without it sticking out like a sore thumb. Literally my only options are go buy one from a bitz seller or get a 'close enough' analog from a 3d printer/3rd party. S

Either way, every model I've used for a conversion has effectively forced the whole rest of the box I used to now be bitz box material or HAVE to make good.  Same with my kill team - I used assault intercessors and rifle intercessors to make up that team, but the left over models from those boxes are now basically unusable except as conversion fodder. And THAT pisses me off.

Edited by Arkhanist

I completely dropped out of 40k over how awful the Horus Heresy book series turned out to be basically killing the 'spirit' of the background and 9th edition being such a horrible mess and sorry excuse for a wargame I just dipped out. 10e perhaps if it had been such a massive turn around could have brought me back in, and I was open to that chance. The initial changes to data cards looked promising, but it quickly became evident they will not improve the nonsense of stratagems, mortal wounds, or address the dice volume rendering saves barely relevant compared to toughness, which they did not actually try to scale freely now as they really ought to (an excellent point over how dumb this game rules are is here, made originally for 7th but things have only gotten sillier). 10th just looks like it's going to be a mess similar to 9th, and while it took a step in the right direction it took several backwards and failed to correct chronic woes in the wargame. Moreover, cover and positioning/movement rules remain a surface level farce if you're here to properly wargame.

Although granted part of my final revelation is not merely that 10e is going to be crap, but that in pursuit of an actual wargame, I'd either have to pick up 2e, and likely still modify it, play Epic, or given I don't even care much for the setting at all anymore after how much it's been mangled; just take on Warhammer Fantasy as I always should have from the beginning. Or continue my historicals. To quote JC Denton: what a shame.

Also for those who wonder how GW's 'testing' goes, their company is a joke as much as has been said here, but the system is probably worse than most even think

.tRkVC4T.png

Edited by Volt

I was already heading out of the building after 18 months of 9th, and what I've seen so far means I'll be glad to hear the 40k door shut behind me for another 3 years.

If it wasn't for HH2.0 I think I'd be done with GW entirely, to be honest. I don't mean that to sound like a petulant child throwing toys out of the pram, just that modern 40k isn't for me anymore and the death by a thousand cuts ending of the HH Black Library novels saw my interest in that side of the hobby wane too.

When I'm feeling particularly masochistic I'll read the arguments  heated debates that rage on here, but my foray into the gaming side of 40k tenth edition is over before it began.

It's quite freeing, really. 

=][= This topic will be now locked - specific complaints about issues with factions' balance, points, and other gameplay can be raised in the various subforums suitable for those discussions. With 10th edition release being a week away and most rules being out and available to begin general play, constructive focus on issues that are being encountered via playing are encouraged. =][=

Edited by Lord_Ikka