3K Ultramarines, finding a new place for the Master of Signals to hang out?

Cruor Vault

I'm looking for something new to do with my Master of Signals.

I've been playing with the Ubiquitous Lascannon Heavy support Squad and I think it is time to explore other options. Since I am required to bring a MoS if I want to use the only RoW for Ultramarines, The only other unit I can think of that makes any real use out of him would be a recon squad?

My store leans towards melee heavy armies with lots of dreadnoughts. Pretty much everyone is running at least 2 Contemptors + 1 Leviathan, with some armies running as many as 3 Leviathans + 2 Contemptors, so I feel pretty comfortable brining 2 Castra Ferrum, 2 Contemptors and a Leviathan.

Rite of War: The Logos Lectora (UM)

+ HQ: [805Pts] +
Master of Signals [95Pts]: Artificer Armour, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Refractor Field. Bolt Pistol. Chainsword, Augury Scanner, Cognis-Signum, Nuncio-Vox, Vox Disruptor Array

Praetor [720Pts]: The Aegis of Wisdom, Warlord
Frag Grenades, Iron Halo, Krak Grenades, Mantle of Ultramar [25Pts], Master of the Legion, Thunder Hammer [30Pts], Chainsword

Invictarus Suzerain Squad [540Pts]: Argyrum-pattern Boarding Shield, Artificer Armour, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades
4x Suzerain w/Bolt Pistol & Legatine Axe [120Pts]: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Legatine Axe
4x Suzerain w/Bolt Pistol & Thunder Hammer [160Pts]: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Thunder Hammer

Land Raider Proteus Carrier [235Pts]: 2x Sponson Mounted Gravis Lascannon, Legiones Astartes (X), Smoke Launchers, Twin-linked Lascannon [15Pts]

+ Elites: [710Pts] +
Castra Ferrum Dreadnought [170Pts]
Gravis Lascannon [20Pts], Gravis Lascannon [20Pts], Searchlights [5Pts]

Castra Ferrum Dreadnought [170Pts]
Gravis Lascannon [20Pts], Gravis Lascannon [20Pts], Searchlights [5Pts]

Contemptor Dreadnought [190Pts]
Atomantic Deflector, Gravis Melta Cannon [5Pts], Gravis Power Fist with Plasma Blaster [10Pts]

Contemptor Dreadnought [190Pts]
Atomantic Deflector, Gravis Melta Cannon [5Pts], Gravis Power Fist with Plasma Blaster [10Pts]

+ Troops: [750Pts] +
Despoiler Squad [145Pts]: Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Power Armour
Legion Despoiler Sergeant [35Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Power Fist [15Pts], Chainsword
6x Despoilers w/: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
Despoiler w/: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Legion Vexilla [10Pts]
2x Despoiler w/: Bolt Pistol, Power Axe [5Pts]

Reconnaissance Squad [255Pts]: Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Power Armour, Shroud Bombs
Legion Recon Sergeant [22Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter [10Pts]
Recon Legionary [32Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Legion Vexilla [10Pts], Nemesis Bolter [10Pts]
8x Recon Legionary [22Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter [10Pts]

Tactical Squad [170Pts]: Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Power Armour
Legion Tactical Sergeant [25Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist [15Pts]
8x Legionaries w/: Bolt Pistol, Bolter
Legionary w/: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Legion Vexilla [10Pts]

Rhino Transport [35Pts]: , Smoke Launchers, Twin-linked Bolter

Tactical Squad [170Pts]: Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Power Armour
Legion Tactical Sergeant [25Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist [15Pts]
8x Legionaries w/: Bolt Pistol, Bolter
Legionary w/: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Legion Vexilla [10Pts]

Rhino Transport [35Pts]: , Smoke Launchers, Twin-linked Bolter

+ Fast Attack: [210Pts] +
Sky-Hunter Squadron: Legiones Astartes (X), Power Armour
Legion Sky-Hunter Sergeant [10Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Bolt Pistol, Volkite Culverin [5pts], Chainsword
Legion Sky-Hunter: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Legion Vexilla [10Pts], Volkite Culverin [5Pts]
3x Legion Sky-Hunter: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Volkite Culverin [5Pts]

+ Heavy Support: [515Pts] +
Leviathan Dreadnought [290Pts]
Atomantic Deflector, Cyclonic Melta Lance [20Pts], Leviathan Siege Claw, Melta Gun, 2x Heavy Flamers

Sicaran Arcus Squadron [230Pts]
. Sicaran Arcus: 2x Lascannons [10Pts], Arcus Missile Launcher - Arcus Warheads, Heavy Bolter, Smoke Launchers, Searchlights [5Pts]

Love that you are using mortis boxnoughts. Lascannons squads are pretty high threat so the recon squad isn't a bad idea to stick him in prolly safer there. Since your meta is melee heavy I'd prolly find a way to get him a legatine axe as well so he adds a bit of threat to anything might be able to reach his squad and open up the option to deploy with tactical units as well. I'd probably throw a rhino to the despoilers too instead of having it with both tactical squads or drop the despoilers alltogether for a support squad unless that is you use them as counter charge unit against assualt squads or something but you do have alot of Suzerains. Decent list though digging the sky hunters they are alot more useful than some people think.

8 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Love that you are using mortis boxnoughts. Lascannons squads are pretty high threat so the recon squad isn't a bad idea to stick him in prolly safer there. Since your meta is melee heavy I'd prolly find a way to get him a legatine axe as well so he adds a bit of threat to anything might be able to reach his squad and open up the option to deploy with tactical units as well. I'd probably throw a rhino to the despoilers too instead of having it with both tactical squads or drop the despoilers alltogether for a support squad unless that is you use them as counter charge unit against assualt squads or something but you do have alot of Suzerains. Decent list though digging the sky hunters they are alot more useful than some people think.

The Legatine Axe is really expensive for the MoS, if something has reached the squad he's in it usually means something has gone badly wrong with my battle plan!

I ran a rhino for the Despoilers for a long time, but I would consistently run into a problem with them not being able to disembark and charge.  especially with the melee heavy meta I see they can get into combat turn 2 pretty reliably.  Either by charging something or being charged themselves.

Unfortunately I cannot Drop the Tacticals or Despoilers as I am required to bring 3 compulsory troops to use the Logos.  I sometimes swap the Despoilers for an Assault Squad, but cannot find the points to do so in this list iteration.

I really love the bikes!  They're just dangerous enough to scare people, but not quite so much a threat that they get shot at early game.

• 3 months later...

Heavy Support Squads is the Master of Signal's natural home.

Support Squads is another easy fit.  10 Plasmagun Marines in a rhino hitting on 2+ is still devastating.  It's also quite expensive though, you would have to cut out a couple dreadnoughts. 

If you have a large unit of 15-20 Tacticals, a Master of Signal can be useful there if you don't have any other obvious choices.  A full fury of the legion volley of bolter fire boosted to hit on 2+ can leave a mark.

If you aren't going to make any major changes to the list though, I would say you are right to stick him with the Recon squad.