Death Guard: Order of the Fly

While the sky is falling for most Death Guard players I still have a smile on my face with a paintbrush in my hand.  

The idea behind the Order of the Fly is that they all despise Typhus and were all in some way negatively(more so than normal) affected by the transition to Nurgle.  These legionaries were reluctant converts that were either on the Terminus Est or exposed to Typhus' corruption shortly afterward.  Seeing no other way forward they have accepted their rotted fate.  Due to this they all have donned white helms, not in hommage to Typhus but in mockery.

thumbnail_IMG_7137.thumb.jpg.33610297517acb718444c7bc236e27ae.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7136.thumb.jpg.05234a43ab03a456fec724c1865d68dc.jpg

I really like the weathering - whilst it would be wrong to call it "subtle", it's quite reserved, doesn't take over, and is pretty realistic. I think it works well with the flatter/more realistic tones of the model (i.e. not the 'Eavy Metal edge-highlight style, which is a bit cartoony even though I like it!). :smile: 

7 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

I really like the weathering - whilst it would be wrong to call it "subtle", it's quite reserved, doesn't take over, and is pretty realistic. I think it works well with the flatter/more realistic tones of the model (i.e. not the 'Eavy Metal edge-highlight style, which is a bit cartoony even though I like it!). :smile: 

Thanks, dude!  I love messing with all the weathering effects.  Oil paints and enamel paints are fun to work with.  

I was planning on putting together a couple bolter or blade plague marines but couldn't resist painting up the Champion.  This gut plate armor is quite fun to work with.  Here is the pre-weathering WIP.  Thanks for looking.  

Champ.thumb.jpg.67756100b532f6eba171798b1ee564fd.jpg

Looking good. :smile: I like that you've put damage into the area covered by the Nurgle fly (which I assume is a transfer rather than freehand?) I really helps integrate it into the model (all too often we paint models with battle damage and weathering ... except for the transfers which went on after, and it doesn't look right).

Very nice idea – and I like your painting style a lot. It's beautifully subtle and desaturated; distinctive and effective. It also complements the converting and kitbashing you've done to take off some of the more exaggerated and extreme mutations.

Is it coincidence that all so far have used the helmets with a central, balanced hole or set of holes? Might be nice to follow that through as another visual theme. Looking forward to seeing where you take this project.

7 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Looking good. :smile: I like that you've put damage into the area covered by the Nurgle fly (which I assume is a transfer rather than freehand?) I really helps integrate it into the model (all too often we paint models with battle damage and weathering ... except for the transfers which went on after, and it doesn't look right).

I always try to do my transfers prior to any weathering.  It just seems out of place if it's not integrated properly.  Nurgle/DeathGuard and transfers kind of fall into a weird place in my mind.  I feel like they should have some markings but depending on how corrupt they are they might be worn away or fully covered.  

6 hours ago, apologist said:

Very nice idea – and I like your painting style a lot. It's beautifully subtle and desaturated; distinctive and effective. It also complements the converting and kitbashing you've done to take off some of the more exaggerated and extreme mutations.

Is it coincidence that all so far have used the helmets with a central, balanced hole or set of holes? Might be nice to follow that through as another visual theme. Looking forward to seeing where you take this project.

@apologistI typically try to match the helmets throughout the entire squad for plague marines and have some symmetry within the squad.

I like the gas mask-type helmets the best but I've used nearly all of the ones I own.  

I try to keep the weathering toned down and attempt to get a little bit of realism.  The original plague marine sculpts are super busy and if you don't have a simple method for painting them you'd be lucky to finish a few marines and a month.  

Very nice! The white helms are a good spot colour and the weathering looks great.
These seem quite a bit less "busy" with growths and tentacles and the like than DG models usually are - I assume that took you some time? Swapping the shoulder pads out for plain ones also makes a big difference to the silhouette.

@Urauloth the bodies are actually from Tortuga Bay.  Everything else is from the Plague Marine kits.  Pretty simple to put it all together.  Im not a huge fan of how many tentacles and crazy mutations are on those kits.

The shoulder pads are just the MK IV ones from the HH kits.  

The pink plasma was a great choice, it looks great against the drab green and white. The white helmets are a nice touch too, and I agree regarding the level of tentacles and stuff on the GW base models, yours look much more how I imagine the plague marines to be.