Faction Focus Adeptus Custodes reaction

So how do people feel about the focus?

Personally I feel Custodes are coming out strong. Overall they appear to be better against just about all infantry, more resilient against Mortal Wounds but worse against vehicles.

Being worse at holding objectives is compensated by Custodes being so killy against opposition so it's a wash for the most part. Single vehicles holding an objective will cause a few problems to smaller or depleted Custodes it's true.

Their weapons have some nuance between them now, with Axes being ideal against opponents with Invulnerable saves. I'm sure mathhammer will contradict that, but I'm no sorcerer. :wink:

Sisters of Silence seem more dangerous to psykers, which will work nicely against Tyranids funnily enough, but are still the old vulnerable power armour units they once were. Hopefully Rhinos can help them a bunch in this edition.

The biggest weakness appears to be dealing with enemy armour in this edition.  Relying on 5s to wound in melee and abilities needing critical hits to increase capacity doesn't look that reliable. We can see Land Raiders are an obvious source of anti-tank but can't guarantee cost effectiveness there.

However, with the new Horus Heresy Contemptor, I'm very hopeful that we'll be able to use twin lascannons on these to provide that crucial heavy hitting power. That would be a game changer for the faction I believe. (Also we don't know what's happening with Forge World, but likely the melee capacity of their Dreads will rock as always. The tanks are likely to have decent weapons too)

So I feel in summary that things are looking rosey for our elite elite fighting army.

Custodes look good to me although I am used to facing them rather than playing with them.

Taking out vehicles was always something of a challenge for them although this may be worse in 10th as vehicles overall look stronger and so are more likely to be encountered. Having said that, we have not seen the bikes yet so Salvo Launchers may be part of the solution. I agree that LRs and some flavour of Dreads could also be really useful.

Honestly I've not been impressed by any melta weapons in the reviews and focuses so far. S9 is low for anti-tank.

The old massed bolters on 5s doesn't really work now vehicles are so high in toughness.

But I've not got too many worries as I really think twin linked lascannons on Contemptor Dreadnoughts will come through and plug the gap.

• 2 weeks later...

Big sigh of relief since the fw news broke and custodes still keep half our army. 

Our focus has been so limited so even knowing what our basic troops do is still unknown. 

Trajann looks proper monstrous and tanky. 

Not pleased with the stats of axes. Honestly it feels like a flop to have so many drawbacks vs spears. 

Knowing gw in a year when the codex proper drops they may fix them but for now I have no functional reason to take axes over spears on anything UNLESS we get starts for 

+1 to hit, or better AP with axes. Preferably both in one strat. 

Especially since seeing eldar stats and profiles I'm pretty nervous about our durability. So many means of lethal hits and fate dice and d weapons being bonkers is a tad unpleasant and I hope they are prices accordingly. 

Really hoping our tanks both the shooty and transport types get some hella good defense to get things into combat. The likelihood of getting assault ramp on the transport seems....slim. BUT we do now have a usable land raider points allowing. It gives us a ton of what we need. Anti armour and speed to keep objective holders alive and delivered.

Theory: our aquillon termies will be amazing. Flamers that can teleport in and overwatch are going to be nightmares to units. They are the single profile I want to see most. 

Pallas tanks are going to be interesting too since we don't know how they will treat the AP and damage of it. Eldar war walkers are flipping insane and a pretty comparable unit, but their shooting outclasses us by a mile. Expecting scout and some reroll vs vehicle but it will be down to the profile to see how it does. 

Bikes will probably be auto includes with missiles because it might be our only ranged horde clearing ability from range.

I don't put much stock in gw keeping the melta missiles great. 

Finally and my favorite slash biggest pet peeve: adrathic weapons. 

What gw and fw have done with the profile is nothing short of criminal. Making them worse compared to melta in near every way. 

Can we please get a real profile with say hazardous and some serious wound profile there? Dare I ask for actual mortal wounds? 

Sorry for the little bump, but I am quite pleased with how the focus looks.

Hoping that my Melta Contemptors will still be OK to use, as they look like having a place. Hopefully they are not going to "Legends" like those for Space Marines.

Still relatively happy with how my army will likely perform and be reliable as it has been in 8th/9th.

Points depending, but I am looking at running Trajan, Salvo Bike Captain, 2 Blade Champions as solo hunters, 3*4 Terminators with an Allarus Vexilla in each for teleport shenanigans, a 6 man unit of Sword Custodes for Trajan as a walking brick dead centre, and a small unit of Spear Custodes to hold backfield.

2 hours ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

Sorry for the little bump, but I am quite pleased with how the focus looks.

Hoping that my Melta Contemptors will still be OK to use, as they look like having a place. Hopefully they are not going to "Legends" like those for Space Marines.

Still relatively happy with how my army will likely perform and be reliable as it has been in 8th/9th.

Points depending, but I am looking at running Trajan, Salvo Bike Captain, 2 Blade Champions as solo hunters, 3*4 Terminators with an Allarus Vexilla in each for teleport shenanigans, a 6 man unit of Sword Custodes for Trajan as a walking brick dead centre, and a small unit of Spear Custodes to hold backfield.

I'm rather the opposite opinion on the melta dread, I don't see where it would fit at all now. Slower than a bike with melta missile and might not even be as survivable depending on strats and saves. 

Where do you imagine they fit now that melta has been nerfed and tanks have been buffed? 

Also of concern is if dreads can be targeted by shooting in the cc phase like monsters can. 

The dreads would need to see a huge bump in survivability in order to compensate for them being so heavily cc focused. Those rarer super high value shots will be coming for our pricy dreads even when they reach their opponents now...

Fyi winters has posted a faction review of his favorite custodes units. 

Most don't feel....crazy though blade guard with unit have a once a game advance and charge and get full re rolls on that advance and charge so that's highly spicy especially leading wardens who will be very durable with a 4++ and 4+++ and having a character is a -1 to wound roll. A stacked unit of wardens with blade guard is going to be so good. 

The jet bikes...wounds 4 is so weird. Now that guard get an extra wound with a shield. I'm not sure what role bikes really have now. The launcher being only str9 is underwhelming. 

Here is hoping our tanks and dreads again, pull overtime. 

Do you have a link? Im currently pretty bummed by the previews so far and the crappy way they are dribbling out indexes, im not seeing anything on his Youtube? 

54 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Ahhh right, they havent leaked any more of the important Talon yet :D 

As in fw

Right now only insanely good combo I'm seeing available is 

Warden

Blade champ

Trajann

Leading to a nearly unshiftable murderball of teleporting deep strike monstrosity. 

Wildly good combo