Will Vows be our detachment rule?

Odd-ad

As per the title, I've had a think, and I'm wondering if our vows will be our detachment rules. 

After rereading the Space Marines faction focus I noticed that it doesn't say special chapters would get a new army rule, but does say we get unique detachment rules. 

Not sure how many detachments each faction gets, so either its 4 to cover each vow, or one that covers them all. 

Or I'm completely wrong, which wouldn't be the first time!

I think vows as a detachment bonus is a safe bet but I would prefer our detachments to be other buffs to try and keep as much of our flavor as possible. What I'm hoping for is that the EC gains an aura that represents Vows and you choose 1/4 Vows, this way ANY detachment you choose is a BT detachment if you have an EC and I'll be honest the EC hasn't impressed me as a character killer he needs another role, our detachments can be other things and this way we would keep a version of our CT, Vows and relics.

2 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

If OoM wont be our faction ability what do you think it will be then? Feels much more like vows would fit there rather than detachment.

Oath is the SM faction ability, in current terms its replacing ATSKNF, that isn't changing as it says all SM get it and it's baked in the Terminator datasheet. Detachments are what will represent subfactions, that's where all our relics, strats and WLT will be. Now we could be more than a subfaction, I don't know if that's the case but right now we are getting Oath plus Detachments.

I would personally like to see vows as our army ability, but wouldn't be disappointed if they were detachment abilities. Vows just seem like something every black templar is a part of, and that sounds more like an army ability than a detachment one. 

One thing about OoM, is that it also stands for "out of mana", and we all know mana is the providence of witches. Since we have no witches, we are definitely OoM.

I don't bother anything if BT have oom as army rules in index stage. It looks strong, and it ensures BT is not weaker than any marine on faction rules level.

Codex release is the real challenge: non-codex chapters need to part away with "vanilla marines", the replacement of oom must be powerful to make the faction playable.

9 hours ago, redmapa said:

I think vows as a detachment bonus is a safe bet but I would prefer our detachments to be other buffs to try and keep as much of our flavor as possible. What I'm hoping for is that the EC gains an aura that represents Vows and you choose 1/4 Vows, this way ANY detachment you choose is a BT detachment if you have an EC and I'll be honest the EC hasn't impressed me as a character killer he needs another role, our detachments can be other things and this way we would keep a version of our CT, Vows and relics.

Althrough 10th has some necromancy and revive some 4/5th mechanics, the "you must buy a specific model to unlock that faction" is not belong to modern 40K and 100% won't happen. 

Ok, my guess at to what will be revealed in the misfits faction focus on Thursday (and I am 100% willing to be wrong!):

They will reveal BT/BA/DA/DW/SW faction abilities (which I hope ours is Vows), and they will not give us our own detachment, forcing us to use the Galdius Strike Force until a book comes out.

That would mean we have access to our faction ability (fingers crossed for Vows), as well as combat doctrines, and whatever relics/warlord traits/strats come with GSF. I think this is a pretty fair way to handle us outliers in game. It also makes sense they would do a combined faction focus article if this is the case, as it would take 30 minutes or more if we all got our own army rules and detachments.

Sword brethren look good. The vows are not great but they have no flaws what used to be often worse then their advantage.

EDIT: with Oaths of moment the abilities are really strong.

Edited by Medjugorje

Our detachment is easily the best in the article so far, SW needs an activation and the DA is straight up trash. Sword Brethren seem pretty good, an extra wound and a choice of buffs to pick which was something I wanted them to get, my only gripe is the datasheet doesnt have Lighting Claws but that is probably an error. I like what I see for our faction so far, personally I'm not sure if I would use Gladius or our Detachment, one offers mobility and the other lethality, we'll see what the rest of the index looks like.

Looks interesting enough to me, a nice fluffy mix of abilities that should be strong enough without needing nerfs. 

I also really like that they all seem pretty viable (happy to be corrected by those fraters with more competitive mindsets), as opposed to last edition where uphold was clearly better than the rest

2 minutes ago, redmapa said:

Our detachment is easily the best in the article so far, SW needs an activation and the DA is straight up trash. Sword Brethren seem pretty good, an extra wound and a choice of buffs to pick which was something I wanted them to get, my only gripe is the datasheet doesnt have Lighting Claws but that is probably an error. I like what I see for our faction so far, personally I'm not sure if I would use Gladius or our Detachment, one offers mobility and the other lethality, we'll see what the rest of the index looks like.

DA has weaker detachment rule for "Lion tax".

23 minutes ago, Medjugorje said:

Sword brethren look good. The vows are not great but they have no flaws what used to be often worse then their advantage.

Swordbrethren feel like they are in a very good spot now. +1 wound (was bound to happen. admittedly), Master crafted power weapons.... and interestingly they also have access to combi weapons now. The kits comes with a single such weapon, but that was previously intended to only go on the one model if you made him into a castellan.

This begs the question, are the upcoming sternguard meant to represent ranged swordbrethren that all have access to combi weapons? Or will it just be 1 model per 5 man can take it, as per the SB kit limitation? I hope its the former, as itll harken back to 4th when SB was the templar swiss army knife elite unit.

Yes, this was pointed out that there's still regular power weapon profiles.

So its probably just 1 mastercrafted weapon / combiweapon per squad. maybe two per 5 man.

EDIT: Also missing lightning claws... are those just regular power weapons now? Would at least get the twinlinked rule on account of being two, right?

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

1 hour ago, Medjugorje said:

Except for uphold every vow has gotten stronger, suffer now grants lethal hits vs everything instead of only infantry and bikers, abhor grants way better combat stats vs psykers, and accept will give you more extra attacks than before, without the conditions. AND these all have no downsides, i kinda feel bad for chaos because we just get their special rule without having to take mortal wounds for them lol.

We lost the 5+ vs mortals and Uphold lost the 5+ inv. But i feel 6+ FnP vs everything will be just fine. Losing the minitranshuman is not the worst thing but we can now get cover and better LD!

Suffer is pretty much just a straight up buff right? Now works against vehicles and no drawback.

The others just feel way better overall. I could actually use the burn the witch now.

With how important Battleshock will be towards stratagems and holding objectives (can't when you're shocked!), getting that Primarch grade Ld 5+ on everything is a major boon. Death Guard lost Disgustingly resilient but we get 6+ FnP on everything on top of the 5+ Ld.

Uphold is simply aces.